Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Sssshhh...I'm discovering Sleater-Kinney. This is a special time in a boy's life.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Onstad does not deserve this  (Read 33079 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

MSC

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 142
    • View Profile
Onstad does not deserve this
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2003, 09:42:49 pm »

Quote from: "revdj"
I like Achewood, and I liked the message board.  But I thought it was wrong that Onstad read his own message board.
. . .
Onstad should work on writing his strip and achieving his creative vision the best way he knows how.  We should talk amongst ourselves if we like, and talk about the strip or anything we want to.  He shouldn't listen to our opinions on what Ray should do next or why we miss Blister - it taints things.


I generally agree, and actually have enjoyed reading Achewood more since the old discussion board was deep-sixed.  I guess I prefer the idea of Onstad just making the comic on his own and throwing it out there for us to see.  I agree that the whole interactive-artistry thing taints the creative process.  Maybe if Onstad was seeking to do something more internet-y or "different," this would work.  However, I get the impression that Achewood is meant to be a daily comic, much like we would read in the newspaper.  I like that.  I don't need Onstad to put in more Lyle just because I like Lyle best.  Maybe that's very "old media" of me, but so be it.  

Also, I guess I don't really care if Onstad is a dick.  Maybe he is, maybe he isn't.  I would imagine that most of the artists, musicians, and athletes whose work we enjoy are dicks, and it doesn't mean we don't have to enjoy their work.

My 2 cents.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Onstad does not deserve this
« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2003, 10:04:36 pm »

One time I wrote a serial novel via diary entries on a slashdot-like site in which I used polls to let my readers drive the plot.  In ways it was neat, and it helped to have a starting point as I wrote each new section.  On the other hand, it also put me in a box, and maybe stifled my creativity a little.  I never finished it for about sixteen different reasons, not the least of which being that it became harder and harder to write based on what was expected of me instead of what I expected from the characters.  The characters, in a sense, lost their voice as the voice of my audience overshadowed them.  So I can certainly understand Onstad's frustration.  

And no, you can't read it.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Onstad does not deserve this
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2003, 10:32:41 pm »

Quote from: "MSC"

I generally agree, and actually have enjoyed reading Achewood more since the old discussion board was deep-sixed.


So, you're saying that the past two strips have been better than all of his previous work?

Because that's how long the old board has been deep-sixed.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Onstad does not deserve this
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2003, 11:04:37 pm »

Quote from: "jldunston"
One time I wrote a serial novel via diary entries on a slashdot-like site in which I used polls to let my readers drive the plot.


True, most of the Hyperfiction I've read (and participated in) started out really well and finished with the worst possible ending. I couldn't even fathom a Hypercomic. ::shudder::
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Onstad does not deserve this
« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2003, 11:35:44 pm »

Quote
Though achewood may grace our lives with the fleeting instants of glee that momentarily offset our incurable sporty sadness, and though it may come to us like the wind (without our asking or paying), its piercing hilarity comes from an awful place. I won't say I'm not glad to have curdled it.


I don't know what to do here, i'm sort of at a loss.  I've spent a lot of time in message boards filled with braindead infintile know nothing 'tards.  So therefore I get damn good at calling a spade a spade and not suffering fools gladly.  Now i'm in a message board filled with intelligent, witty, literate and very well spoken people and I feel outclassed.  It's pretty awkward with the shoe on the other foot.

~Paul

PS- I have no idea what a "Heisenburg effect" is.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Onstad does not deserve this
« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2003, 11:51:56 pm »

Quote from: "pmcd9"

PS- I have no idea what a "Heisenburg effect" is.


Werner Heisenberg was a scientist specialising in quantum mechanics.

He's the father of the "Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle" which states that you could either determine a particle's momentum or position, but not both.  

He also observed that in any complex system, observing a phenomenon tended to alter it.  The scientific eye changed the observed, to the point where it was impossible to observe something because by tinkering with it you weren't observing the true behaviour of the particles, but the result of your own meddling.

I must've missed the post about the old board having suffered the Heisenberg effect, but I suppose what the poster meant was that by being in the feedback stream, Onstad was altered and his creative "fluids" didn't flow in the right way.

Or something.

-- Jough

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Onstad does not deserve this
« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2003, 11:53:58 pm »

Heisenberg was also the scientist in charge of the Nazi's nuclear fission research, who dragged his feet in Hitler's Germany, thus preventing the Germans from building an Atomic bomb before we did.

Interesting guy.

ferocious j

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 231
    • View Profile
    • http://automatedredemption.com/flavorcountry/
Onstad does not deserve this
« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2003, 12:34:31 am »

Quote from: "jough"
but I suppose what the poster meant was that by being in the feedback stream, Onstad was altered and his creative "fluids" didn't flow in the right way.

I think you mean "humors."  Or "humours."  As long as it didn't affect the local phlogiston concentration, I thought he was doing OK.

(word to bad old-timey science)
Logged
I step to the mic like a Jedi knight
I'm all "off with your head" with my neon light

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Onstad does not deserve this
« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2003, 02:30:31 am »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
PS- I have no idea what a "Heisenburg effect" is.


I'm glad you asked, so I didn't have to.  ::Wipes sweat from forehead::

Although, now that it's been explained, it sounds familiar.  My husband did a monologue from Copenhagen once, and talked about Heisenburg for about two months straight, so he probably told me about it then and I just forgot.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Onstad does not deserve this
« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2003, 02:33:30 am »

Quote from: "jldunston"
::Wipes sweat from forehead::


Heh! How'd you know I was all out of olives? You crack me up, jldunston.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Onstad does not deserve this
« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2003, 02:35:22 am »

Dang, didn't any of you people watch Star Trek? TNG, specifically. All Heisenburg compensators on the transporters. All Moriarty trying to uncouple them to become corporeal. All weed in his hat.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Onstad does not deserve this
« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2003, 03:10:50 am »

Oooooooooooooh, that's where I knew it from!  

Dang, Moriarty was cool as hell.  

But that is not the point of this topic.  

Back to the Heisenburg Effect and its Impact on the Comedic Stylings of Chris Onstad, OR ELSE.  

Or else this thread gets locked, that's what.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Onstad does not deserve this
« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2003, 03:29:08 am »

Actually, the "Heisenberg Compensators" on Star Trek were a bit of a joke.

See, since you can't know a particle's momentum (velocity) and position (alignment too) with any degree of precision, you can't predict the nature of matter or energy with any degree of accuracy.

If you were to disassemble someone's atoms and re-assemble them, they'd stop being themselves (physically) after a very short time if you didn't get the momentum or position of those sub-atomic particles correct.

So the Heisenberg Compensator compensated for the uncertainty.  It's cute.

And to keep this slightly on topic, if people keep poking his drawing hand with a sharp stick, Onstad cannot make his little cartoons as well as he could were people not fuck*ng with him.

He also seemed to read every thread, which I now know is time-consuming.

He's probably kicking back right now grateful that he doesn't have to babysit people who are going to bitch about his free content anymore.

Of course, the way he's running his business, he's treating his work like advertisements for his merchandise anyway.

Does anyone want to take a bet that at least one of these t-shirt sayings from strips from the past week are going to be offered in the achewood store?

Anyone?

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Onstad does not deserve this
« Reply #58 on: August 05, 2003, 03:33:00 am »

I think it's a good thing that Onstad threw us out into the street because the member rankings here are so much cooler than lame rappers beverage choices.  I'm just dying to know what comes after "your old friend Blister."

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Onstad does not deserve this
« Reply #59 on: August 05, 2003, 03:34:43 am »

It'll be a while.  I have the next rank set to 100.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up