Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Do you love saying "Canadian bacon"?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Onstad does not deserve this  (Read 33096 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Onstad does not deserve this
« Reply #60 on: August 05, 2003, 04:06:26 am »

Quote from: "jldunston"
It'll be a while.  I have the next rank set to 100.


I'm already over a hundred posts, but of course I'm special and my rank says so.

I wanted catch-phrases for ranks, like "Here comes a special boy." and "Philippe is standing on it." but JLD opted for character names.

I'm sure she'll change them every so often, like they did on that other board.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Onstad does not deserve this
« Reply #61 on: August 05, 2003, 06:32:40 am »

The Roast Beef-related rank must be like 10,000 posts.

Also, Jough, I think I speculated elsewhere about that point you made about Onstad - I think he was probably a little obsessive about checking the boards and seeing what was posted, especially as it could have been construed as being signed off on by him.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

MSC

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 142
    • View Profile
Onstad does not deserve this
« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2003, 03:12:07 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
Quote from: "MSC"

I generally agree, and actually have enjoyed reading Achewood more since the old discussion board was deep-sixed.


So, you're saying that the past two strips have been better than all of his previous work?

Because that's how long the old board has been deep-sixed.


No, it's not a question of the strips being better or worse.  Rather, I enjoyed reading them more knowing that they were sort of divorced from all the action over here on the messageboards.  Maybe it's just me, but as I said, the creation seems a bit more "pure" that way.  Of course, it's folly to think that any artist is completely oblivious to the reactions to what he or she creates.  However, I think that for some, and Onstad may be among them, the constant interaction of these boards is too much of a distraction.
Logged

weeeeee

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 17
    • View Profile
Onstad does not deserve this
« Reply #63 on: August 05, 2003, 03:56:16 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
Quote from: "jldunston"
It'll be a while.  I have the next rank set to 100.


I'm already over a hundred posts, but of course I'm special and my rank says so.

I wanted catch-phrases for ranks, like "Here comes a special boy." and "Philippe is standing on it." but JLD opted for character names.

I'm sure she'll change them every so often, like they did on that other board.


and now I must post more, because I want to be blister..damn it
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Onstad does not deserve this
« Reply #64 on: August 05, 2003, 08:00:58 pm »

Quote from: "weeeeee"
Quote from: "jldunston"
It'll be a while.  I have the next rank set to 100.
and now I must post more, because I want to be blister..damn it


<OT>I just think it rules that the Blister rank is in all caps. Hopefully the Beef rank will somehow reflect his punctuationless ways</OT>
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Onstad does not deserve this
« Reply #65 on: August 05, 2003, 09:21:40 pm »

Quote from: "weeeeee"

and now I must post more, because I want to be blister..damn it


I don't want to stop being Blister... Though I am curious to know what will come next. So far JL's choices have been good, so they can only get more satisfying.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

revdj

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 102
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dougshaw.com
Onstad does not deserve this
« Reply #66 on: August 05, 2003, 11:02:03 pm »

Quote from: "jough"

Heisenberg effect, but I suppose what the poster meant was that by being in the feedback stream, Onstad was altered and his creative "fluids" didn't flow in the right way.
-- Jough


That is pretty much what I meant.
Logged

revdj

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 102
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dougshaw.com
Onstad does not deserve this
« Reply #67 on: August 05, 2003, 11:05:19 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"

True, most of the Hyperfiction I've read (and participated in) started out really well and finished with the worst possible ending. I couldn't even fathom a Hypercomic. ::shudder::


Scott McCloud has one on his website.  People submit art for the next panel, he choses finalists, and people vote.  www.scottmccloud.com  It was an interesting experiment.
Logged

rstevens

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 16
    • View Profile
Onstad does not deserve this
« Reply #68 on: August 06, 2003, 02:35:01 am »

i disabled the boards, but the old data still exists if there are a few very important things you'd like recovered.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Onstad does not deserve this
« Reply #69 on: August 06, 2003, 02:40:35 am »

Hola rstevens,

Feel free to stop by any time to bust Onstad's stones, even if he won't be around to read your post.  We're going to package up the best threads and send them to him in a little basket that has little jellies, bath oils, ciders, and other gay things in it, once per fortnight.

Sorry to see the old boards go but they'd grown diseased, and we can understand that they had to be put down.

rstevens

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 16
    • View Profile
Onstad does not deserve this
« Reply #70 on: August 06, 2003, 02:47:30 am »

aw, but now that he's sticking to a schedule i've got nothing to complain about.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Onstad does not deserve this
« Reply #71 on: August 06, 2003, 03:08:44 am »

Quote from: "rstevens"
aw, but now that he's sticking to a schedule i've got nothing to complain about.


Well, it was a nice little dig on him on the way out - and I have checked out some of the other dumbrella boards moderated by artists who care about interacting with their fan base.

Hell, I've even started reading Diesel Sweeties.

rstevens

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 16
    • View Profile
Onstad does not deserve this
« Reply #72 on: August 06, 2003, 03:20:39 am »

then hosting his boards got me one thing aside from some cartoonist grief! thanks man/woman.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Onstad does not deserve this
« Reply #73 on: August 06, 2003, 04:28:45 am »

Count me in on the Dumbrella-board-as-springboard thing. Actually, lurking on Dumbrella boards other than Achewood got me to read both Wigu and DS eventually. So... yeah, thanks, RS; my life is much more filled with comical goodness than it would have been otherwise.
Logged

doomglobe

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 35
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 410
    • View Profile
    • doom globe
Onstad does not deserve this
« Reply #74 on: August 06, 2003, 04:36:21 am »

Mister Stevens, hosting the boards for other cartoonists probably gets you more things than you think, dumbrella is like the funnies section of the newspaper for me, I always read those comics first, before moving on to the 'strays'. it is convenient to have a set of comics all together in the same place. Since they are all good comics, it makes them a priority.

Back with the topic, I dont have any problem at all with onstad not reading a messageboard. everyone keeps whining about it for some reason, but its not like jough has not provided another board of equivalent power (even if it does not have red ***** icons for putting next to posts) and its not like the comic has suffered in any way.  Achewood was never about having a personal connection to the artist, it has always been a momentary diversion on the road to the grave, and nothing more. We are all on that road basically alone, whether we like it or not.
Logged
[expletive deleted]
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up