Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Surprising fact: toothpaste is a complete protein.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Split! Babies and Baby names...and stuff...  (Read 16627 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Split! Babies and Baby names...and stuff...
« Reply #75 on: August 27, 2004, 08:26:58 pm »

Quote from: "Limmo"
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Ah, the joy of "Chore Sex" at Casa di Limmo. It took us six months, I hope for quicker results for you. Ovulation test kits will help, make the investment.


Oh, the lady and I are looooong past the point where physical contact between us is part of the conception process.  We are on to the more Aldous Huxley-ish methods of conception.  They are horrifically expensive, and when they don't work?  Ah, the joy of serious depression and anger at Casa di Limmo.


I'm pulling for Joy, Hope, and Expectation in the near future for you.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Split! Babies and Baby names...and stuff...
« Reply #76 on: August 27, 2004, 08:27:51 pm »

Yerk. My sympathies, Limmo; that has to be a pretty emotionally draining process all around.

As for "hip parents," my folks both turned 55 this year, and they've been pretty hip as these things go. (Albeit, at times, they've been almost too hip; I've had a lot of lectures about how I Shouldn't Waste My Undergraduate Experience Like My Father Did, and when I came home at Christmas my freshman year they asked me eagerly if I'd gotten drunk yet, which is fairly surreal. Also my mother went through a phase of urging me to try the campus online dating service, despite my SOed-ness, which was just kind of creepy.)
Logged

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
Split! Babies and Baby names...and stuff...
« Reply #77 on: August 27, 2004, 08:40:27 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
I never heard any of this stuff during our first pregnancy nor this far in our second. This is starting to support my previously unscientifically founded beliefs about the deep south.


Your attitudes toward the deep south are probably justified, however the kind of goofy magical thinking such as I described above is extremely widespread.  I've been spending an unfortunate amount of time on the boards for a pregnancy site and the items I cited above are some of the least-stupid things that some of these cows believe.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Split! Babies and Baby names...and stuff...
« Reply #78 on: August 27, 2004, 08:48:16 pm »

Hah!  44 when my 2d graduates from high school.  Unfortunately, as you are all aware, I am not a hip parent.  Luckily, the kids are pretty geeky too.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Split! Babies and Baby names...and stuff...
« Reply #79 on: August 27, 2004, 08:52:46 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
As for sideshow's friend...one month to conceive? That's statistically a pretty tough one. Best of luck, though...


Actually, they've been trying since the beginning of summer, but they're down to around 10 months before she has to have her heart surgery at this point, so it's now or never.  

As for me, I do the "not pregnant dance" for my SO every month when I get my period. In fact we both dance.  I'm totally happy for the breeders on the board, but I hope I won't be joining your club, or if I do, maybe in 10 years.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Split! Babies and Baby names...and stuff...
« Reply #80 on: August 27, 2004, 08:57:26 pm »

Quote from: "side_show"
As for me, I do the "not pregnant dance" for my SO every month when I get my period. In fact we both dance.  I'm totally happy for the breeders on the board, but I hope I won't be joining your club, or if I do, maybe in 10 years.

Non-breeder high five! ::slap::
Logged

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Split! Babies and Baby names...and stuff...
« Reply #81 on: August 27, 2004, 10:06:37 pm »

A heartfelt thank-you for your sympathies, all.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Split! Babies and Baby names...and stuff...
« Reply #82 on: August 28, 2004, 01:54:36 am »

Quote from: "Va"
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
I never heard any of this stuff during our first pregnancy nor this far in our second. This is starting to support my previously unscientifically founded beliefs about the deep south.


Your attitudes toward the deep south are probably justified, however the kind of goofy magical thinking such as I described above is extremely widespread.  I've been spending an unfortunate amount of time on the boards for a pregnancy site and the items I cited above are some of the least-stupid things that some of these cows believe.


No doubt posted from AOL and WebTV accounts. Most everyone's allowed to fuck in this great country of ours. Damn shame, too, sometimes.
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Split! Babies and Baby names...and stuff...
« Reply #83 on: August 28, 2004, 04:07:21 am »

Hey, man, Fuckin' ain't the problem. It's Fuckin' Irresponsibly that's the problem.

Condoms, the pill, sex-ed, RU-486, they're all around and most are available to anybody.

Fuckin' Irresponsibly and Abstinence Education tied to The Moral Statutes of Religions are the main causes of the Stupid People of America getting pregnant.

When will they learn. When.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Split! Babies and Baby names...and stuff...
« Reply #84 on: August 28, 2004, 05:24:59 am »

There are a couple of college-trained public health types here in the office and we were just talking yesterday about Abstinence Education. Having both worked in STD, we're still appalled at the amount of money, including Federal money that goes to making films and developing programs to celebrate abstinence. It's asinine.

I'm not anti-Catholic but in this topic I've got to say that they are so far out of step that it's causing more harm than good.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Split! Babies and Baby names...and stuff...
« Reply #85 on: August 28, 2004, 08:32:52 am »

Trying to talk living beings into not having sex is like trying to talk them into giving up eating.  How can you have such a fundamental misunderstanding of how nature works?  None of us would be here today if our ancestors hadn't wanted to have sex, and passed on those sex-liking genes.  The urge that gets the species to perpetuate itself will win out over any amount of federal dollars.

Wait, maybe now I get it.  They don't get it about abstinence because they don't believe in evolution either?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Split! Babies and Baby names...and stuff...
« Reply #86 on: August 28, 2004, 02:35:02 pm »

Every sprem is sacred, every sperm is good!
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Split! Babies and Baby names...and stuff...
« Reply #87 on: August 28, 2004, 05:50:16 pm »

See, I don't tend to blame the Church for this becamse, dogma be damned, I know a lot of Catholics who accept the entire "condoms are a good thing" idea. Hell, I'm dating one.

Besides, to paraphrase from an old editorial: given the number of families these days who are coming to Catholic services with two kids in tow, either the rhythm method works much better than assumed, or people are being reasonable about this.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Split! Babies and Baby names...and stuff...
« Reply #88 on: August 28, 2004, 08:28:45 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Besides, to paraphrase from an old editorial: given the number of families these days who are coming to Catholic services with two kids in tow, either the rhythm method works much better than assumed, or people are being reasonable about this.

You've never been to my church. The average age is 7. I'm not kidding. Most of the families has 4 or 5 kids all under 10. Apparently the concept of zero population growth is lost on these people.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Split! Babies and Baby names...and stuff...
« Reply #89 on: August 28, 2004, 09:30:57 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
See, I don't tend to blame the Church for this becamse, dogma be damned, I know a lot of Catholics who accept the entire "condoms are a good thing" idea. Hell, I'm dating one.

Besides, to paraphrase from an old editorial: given the number of families these days who are coming to Catholic services with two kids in tow, either the rhythm method works much better than assumed, or people are being reasonable about this.


Look at the average age of the true decision makers of the Church - do you really think a group of lifetime abstinent, 60+ year old men are going to suddenly have an epiphany about birth control? Better yet, are they going to name among their successors people who don't think the way they do?

C'mon, this is a Church that revoked the first communion of a little girl with Celiac disease because the wafer the priest subsituted for the usual Host was rice and did not contain any wheat, which her body won't tolerate. Dogma is a poor substitute for understanding.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up