Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I haven't had a haircut since July. I'm hoping to, "wait it out."

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: 06/29/2004 - One Cuddleplace Lane  (Read 6991 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
06/29/2004 - One Cuddleplace Lane
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2004, 06:08:19 pm »

Quote from: "Asherdan"
Apparently the goth is the new acceptable behaviour/appearance cultural subset to mock, and that makes it funny.

Or it's possible that the funny here lies in the Little Nephew adolescent attempts to establish his own sense of image and self by modeling 'extreme' youth behaviours and appearance.  This allows us to watch Ray and Little Nephew conduct combat operations over the unclaimed land of the generational gap.  Which can be funny.


I assumed that the humour lay in the fact that he had adopted the subcultural trappings so quicky and completely.  A social commentary, if you will, on the commercialization of....
Just kidding.  Goths are funny, huh?
Logged
goose means greedy

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
06/29/2004 - One Cuddleplace Lane
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2004, 06:30:59 pm »

Yeah, I was just wondering why anyone thought this was funny, other than "He's different - huh huh."

Is it just because you're conditioned to laugh at Achewood because it's been funny in the past?  Does the mere mention of Goths make something funny?

There was an episode of South Park last season where they made fun of Goths - but there was actual commentary and jokes at their expense.  They didn't just parade goth-looking kids onto the screen and be like David Brent gesturing at the monkey (you'd have had to have seen The Office to know what I mean).

I know Onstad's ripped off South Park before, but usually he does so with a bit more wit.

I didn't get the impression that today's strip was supposed to be funny.  It's more of a setup to possible future funny, which made the "OMG I LOLed SO HARD THIS IS SO FUNNY" comments a little bizarre.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
06/29/2004 - One Cuddleplace Lane
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2004, 06:59:23 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
I didn't get the impression that today's strip was supposed to be funny.  It's more of a setup to possible future funny

Agreed. He's just setting up the new LN look with the expectation that tomorrow Ray will tear into him. Kind of like the rap battle.


I hadn't linked anything in a while. I was starting to get really antsy.
Logged

Steve Hogan

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 167
    • View Profile
    • http://www.steve-hogan.com/
06/29/2004 - One Cuddleplace Lane
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2004, 07:01:09 pm »

It's funny because any time you see little nephew's face funnyness occurs. Something about those wide little eyes, always looking skyward....

Also nephew's stilted speech and the lantern are nice touches.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
06/29/2004 - One Cuddleplace Lane
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2004, 07:10:52 pm »

Okay:

I don't find this one particularly funny in and of itself. However, for a setup strip, there is a certain level of actual humor ("One Cuddleplace Lane," the alt-text about LN's bgcolor being #666666) and there is a visual kick from the new costume being unveiled.

It's pretty nice on a sheer artistic level, too. After bitching yesterday about the laziness of the art in that strip, I feel slightly vindicated at some more art being at play here.
Logged

district

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 7
    • View Profile
06/29/2004 - One Cuddleplace Lane
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2004, 07:19:30 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
So, for those who found this funny: it's just that he's goth that's funny?

Is that the joke - that he is a goth?


I've been lurking on this board for awhile and I can no longer resist the urge. Maybe it's already been noticed by more perceptive members of this little community, but I feel the need to say it.

Jough is Comic Book Guy (from the Simpson's) come to life. In all his annoyingly wiseass glory.
Logged

Noah

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 200
    • View Profile
06/29/2004 - One Cuddleplace Lane
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2004, 07:53:51 pm »

Haha! This is awesome. The alt text is worth it alone.
Logged

Doc Gooden

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1
    • View Profile
06/29/2004 - One Cuddleplace Lane
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2004, 08:29:34 pm »

You know, I simply can't imagine why Onstad closed the Dumbrella board. Totally drawing a blank here.
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
06/29/2004 - One Cuddleplace Lane
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2004, 08:44:47 pm »

Quote from: "Doc Gooden"
You know, I simply can't imagine why Onstad closed the Dumbrella board. Totally drawing a blank here.


Hey Chris.


I liked it, like yesterday, as a straight follow on. It's just, well...
Having kind of been, and thus spent a lot of time with goths, the stereotype can be funny when highlighted in certain ways. It can be tiresome and boring, but Little Nephew just makes me think of two peoples I used to know - a (very much ex) friend who was the most pretentious goth you could possibly imagine, and my now friend's cousin who is about Little Nephew's age, and decided he was a goth. Despite the fact he wore white and didn't listen to anything remotely gothic in tone.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
06/29/2004 - One Cuddleplace Lane
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2004, 08:52:34 pm »

Quote from: "Doc Gooden"
You know, I simply can't imagine why Onstad closed the Dumbrella board. Totally drawing a blank here.


Well gee, that's a conversation killer.  No matter what anybody says now they look petty and fanboyish.  My goodness but you're a clever fellow.

This board isn't run for Onstad's benefit.  He professes not to read it.  He should never have participated in the Dumbrella board.  I can't imagine reading this sort of thing about something that I'd created.  This board is not for or about Onstad.

This board is for us.  We all appreciate Achewood and this is where we come to share the fun with like-minded people.  We come to be clever.  We come to have obscure jokes explained to us.  We come to have a community with a small group of like-minded fools who think in the same strange way that we do.  I like it here, a lot.

I don't give a shit whether Onstad does or not.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
06/29/2004 - One Cuddleplace Lane
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2004, 09:15:07 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
I like it here, a lot.


It has to be said, I look at this way.
If Onstad were to stop doing Achewood, much as it would suck, I wouldn't want this board to go. Achewood is only part of this.
I mean what percentage of the threads here aren't in the Achewood topic?
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
06/29/2004 - One Cuddleplace Lane
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2004, 09:31:04 pm »

Why I Think This Comic Strip Is Funny.
By- kevbob
Date- 6/29/04
Teacher- Mr. Jough Poopy#####.

I think that today's Achewood comic strip is funny because i like the drawings a lot and they made me laugh at the animals wearing clothes.

Mr. Ray Smuckles, the older kitty cat, standing there lock-knee'd as he stares at the younger cat, Little Nephew.  Mr. Ray is wearing under#####, and his tail sticks out of a hole in the under#####.  This is pretty funny.

Then there is the drawing of the smaller cat, who is looking out of the corner of his eyes at the older cat, and he's holding a funny looking light or something that i once saw at that fancy restaurant that mom and dad took me to that one time.

That reminds me of the funny thing my sister told me, when we were at the restaraunt, so that makes me laugh even more.  because when something funny reminds me of something else funny, it all just becomes even more funny.

But so the little cat looking out the corner of his eyes is a funny picture, but he looks like he has a mohwawk, which is funny in a queer way.  and it's always funny to hear the word queer unless it is when the older kids are calling you it.

And there are musical notes dancing in the beginning of the comic.  They are funny too, because dancing musical notes make me laugh.

There are words too, but i can not read, so i do not know what they mean, which makes me sad, because i'm sure they represent a witty dialogue which would make me laugh even more.

The End.

PS
what is a goth?
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

V-Adore

  • Guest
06/29/2004 - One Cuddleplace Lane
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2004, 09:31:32 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Eloquence about what we are here for and why it's a good thing Onstad isn't here

Amen, man. Amen. I don't want to drag this off-topic too far, but I think the lack of Onstad is a primary reason that this board is.. well, such a safe, supportive place to totally anorak out.

Anyway, I do think some of the visual humor comes from Little Nephew's face superimposed on that strange pseudo-goth Hotte Topicke look. He has exactly the same facial expression as when he first asked Uncle Ray about getting his bone on, all those story arcs ago.

And that's funny.
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
06/29/2004 - One Cuddleplace Lane
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2004, 09:39:47 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Amen, man. Amen. I don't want to drag this off-topic too far, but I think the lack of Onstad is a primary reason that this board is.. well, such a safe, supportive place to totally anorak out.


I'd like to award V-Adore todays prize in Furthering the English Lexicon through her use of the phrase "anorak out." I hope to, one day, bear her children.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
06/29/2004 - One Cuddleplace Lane
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2004, 10:35:23 pm »

It is good that Onstad is not reading this to know that I laughed much harder at arkabee's post than at today's strip.  Because I would hate to hurt his feelings, fanboyish though that may be.  

PS. Is there such a word as 'fangirl'? With all the same connotations? In my aged out-of-it decrepitude, I am not sure.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up