Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Dude abides.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: 06/29/2004 - One Cuddleplace Lane  (Read 7028 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
06/29/2004 - One Cuddleplace Lane
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2004, 10:42:15 pm »

I thought it was kind of funny. Just kind of, though. I agree with whoever said that this board would probably go on in the absence of Achewood.

I got nothing else.

Carry on.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
06/29/2004 - One Cuddleplace Lane
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2004, 11:32:18 pm »

Quote from: "wombat"
PS. Is there such a word as 'fangirl'? With all the same connotations? In my aged out-of-it decrepitude, I am not sure.

There is, actually, although it has very different connotations, generally. I've generally seen it used almost gender-neutrally: "fanboy" for the classical Comic-Book-Guy-style behavior pattern, "fangirl" for behavior involving gushing incoherence, flakiness, and generally acting like a 14-year-old girl with the new copy of Tiger Beat, and "fan" for more reasonable behavior all around. (I say "almost gender-neutral" because, with some exceptions, the behaviors do fall under gender lines -- "fanboys" can be either gender now, but "fangirls" are still predominant female.)

Incidentally, Bozack, thank you for the kind words. Feel free to use "anorak out" wherever you work or bank.
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
06/29/2004 - One Cuddleplace Lane
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2004, 12:05:57 am »

Quote
the whole why it's funny debacle


Also:
In panel 2 Ray is blatantly scratching his ass.
Little Nephew's use of desist. Most unlike him, and shows the bitter, morose depression he is in fits of.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
06/29/2004 - One Cuddleplace Lane
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2004, 12:23:55 am »

Quote from: "Doc Gooden"
You know, I simply can't imagine why Onstad closed the Dumbrella board. Totally drawing a blank here.


Mentioning the Dumbrella Fiasco in post #1 should be a bannable offense.
Logged

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
06/29/2004 - One Cuddleplace Lane
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2004, 12:28:06 am »

I think that any kind of extremely overblown behavior is funny when it's being done by someone very short. Also, the sudden unveiling of regalia adds an extra bit of impact.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
06/29/2004 - One Cuddleplace Lane
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2004, 01:05:18 am »

Quote from: "Ben-San"
I think that any kind of extremely overblown behavior is funny when it's being done by someone very short.


I feel compelled to take violent, overblown exception to this remark.

However, I am most pleased by our vocabulary expert V-Adore's explication of the subtle differences between 'fanboy' and 'fangirl'.  I hope I never get too old to feel like a 14 year old with a new copy of Tiger Beat once in a while.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
06/29/2004 - One Cuddleplace Lane
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2004, 01:24:32 am »

Quote from: "wombat"
Quote from: "Ben-San"
I think that any kind of extremely overblown behavior is funny when it's being done by someone very short.


I feel compelled to take violent, overblown exception to this remark.


You're crackin' me up!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
06/29/2004 - One Cuddleplace Lane
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2004, 01:51:57 am »

Quote from: "wombat"
Quote from: "Ben-San"
I think that any kind of extremely overblown behavior is funny when it's being done by someone very short.


I feel compelled to take violent, overblown exception to this remark.


If it's any help I think that most extremely overblown behavior is also funny when it's being done by someone very tall or with a large beard.

Also seconded on the feeling-like-a-fourteen-year-old-girl thing.
Logged

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
06/29/2004 - One Cuddleplace Lane
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2004, 03:41:43 am »

The 14-year-old fangirlishness is ok, but if any of you start posting Achewood-themed, Mary Sue slash fanfic, I'm so outta here.

Note: this was typed one-handed 'cause I burned my finger bad on a light bulb. Carry on.
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
06/29/2004 - One Cuddleplace Lane
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2004, 03:43:46 am »

Quote from: "Mite"
Note: this was typed one-handed 'cause I burned my finger bad on a light bulb. Carry on.


That's a novel excuse for one-handed typing.  




I'll have to use that.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
06/29/2004 - One Cuddleplace Lane
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2004, 04:30:07 am »

- i know it means that i am not cool but what does "anorak out" mean?

- i have been to this "dumbrella" board because i can't resist clicking things, and i have to say that i am very glad that whatever happened happened and Mr. Jough opened this little arena del conversation because the membership is varied, opinionated, and intelligent.  they are also funnier than hell.  

a comic strip is a little piece of art, commentary, and sometimes humor.  this discussion forum thingee is a big piece of art, commentary, and humor.  while it might make my brain fat, i'd prefer my edification Super Sized.

- would it be funny to make a joke from
Quote from: "wombat"

I hope I never get too old to feel like a 14 year old with a new copy of Tiger Beat once in a while.

or would i be crossing the line into Hello Creepy?
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
06/29/2004 - One Cuddleplace Lane
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2004, 05:11:22 am »

GOD DAMN IT PEOPLE

You can find something funny without falling all the fuck over yourself to laugh at it. I have already - and I generally do not read the internet in this way - read too many stupid Message Board Threads in which Person A makes a Funny and Person B makes a Retarded Remark about Ha, you owe me a new keyboard, the Unspoken Joke being that they were taking a drink at the time that they read said Funny and &c &c

I woke up this morning and I read Achewood and it made me smirk. I thought it was funny. I did not spend like three hours beating myself in the Brain trying to figure out why I did not Laugh Out Loud, though:

1. Little Nephew had a fuck*ng lantern. Did you all somehow miss that? Somehow in his brain he has decided that being Dark and Troubled and Vaguely Victorian involves lurching around his room with a damn lantern. I went through a Goth Phase and I sure as hell didn't tote a fuck*ng lantern. Little Nephew thinks "Goth" is a cross between Gay Pirate and that one Led Zeppelin poster. This is funny.

2. That, and here is the young Rap Artist who brought us "Fuck... Algebra". You don't often see rappers turn goth. Really. When I read today's strip, I really and truly thought I would come to the board and find people trying to make gangsta rap - goth connections. I mean, come on.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
06/29/2004 - One Cuddleplace Lane
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2004, 06:18:56 am »

Quote from: "Asherdan"
Quote from: "jough"
I didn't get the impression that today's strip was supposed to be funny.  It's more of a setup to possible future funny...


And that's pretty much the way I took it, which I hope came through in my earlier post.


Yes, I pretty much reiterated what you wrote somewhat - thanks to the POWER OF THE SKIM!

V-Adore

  • Guest
06/29/2004 - One Cuddleplace Lane
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2004, 08:15:18 am »

Quote from: "St_Zartan"
1. Little Nephew had a fuck*ng lantern. Did you all somehow miss that? Somehow in his brain he has decided that being Dark and Troubled and Vaguely Victorian involves lurching around his room with a damn lantern. I went through a Goth Phase and I sure as hell didn't tote a fuck*ng lantern. Little Nephew thinks "Goth" is a cross between Gay Pirate and that one Led Zeppelin poster. This is funny.

Either that or he takes his impressions of dark broodingness from Zork.

Maybe he's practicing to be a Grue?
Logged

Steve Hogan

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 167
    • View Profile
    • http://www.steve-hogan.com/
06/29/2004 - One Cuddleplace Lane
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2004, 04:48:26 pm »

Quote from: "St_Zartan"

2. That, and here is the young Rap Artist who brought us "Fuck... Algebra". You don't often see rappers turn goth. Really. When I read today's strip, I really and truly thought I would come to the board and find people trying to make gangsta rap - goth connections. I mean, come on.


It is a hilarious 180 turn when you think about it.  Talk about diametrically opposed musical cultures.  Try to imagine Pete Shelley and  Siouxsie Sue drinking gin and juice and booty dancin'.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up