Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Crime drama, 1980: Magnum PI. 2005: NUMB3RS. One based on smiling and helicopters, one on showcasing higher math. Explain discrepancy.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 30 June -- Like a goth Bootsy Collins  (Read 2327 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

V-Adore

  • Guest
30 June -- Like a goth Bootsy Collins
« on: June 30, 2004, 08:10:14 am »

Okay, now this is more like it.

Goddamn, I want Ray's goth costume. Fantabulous.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
30 June -- Like a goth Bootsy Collins
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2004, 12:48:51 pm »

Ray, why must you ruin everything LN enjoys?  WHY?
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
30 June -- Like a goth Bootsy Collins
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2004, 01:05:09 pm »

Ray's door is awesome. I totally need that on my bedroom. Only with a K.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
30 June -- Like a goth Bootsy Collins
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2004, 01:05:21 pm »

Congratulations on getting the thread title right, V.  It could have been nothing else today.

This was another where I kind of smirked at the strip but had to fight hard to control my laughter (here in the office) when I read the alt-text.  

Although I am perhaps giving Onstad too much credit for the humor of that line.  Think about it -- virtually any sentence you can think of is funnier if you include the words "Bootsy Collins" in it.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
30 June -- Like a goth Bootsy Collins
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2004, 03:36:06 pm »

Man, when I saw it, I actually thought "Screamin' Jay Hawkins" more than Bootsy. But what do I know.
Anyway, yes, this is awesome.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

llimllib

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 19
    • View Profile
30 June -- Like a goth Bootsy Collins
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2004, 04:59:18 pm »

I think the Bootsy reference is the hip skull sunglasses. Also, I think that Ray is probably the first outside-thong-wearing goth on the planet.

Quote
Ray, why must you ruin everything LN enjoys? WHY?


Look, no offense to goths or thugs, but if  I were a parent, I wouldn't want my kid being either of those things. The humor, for me, comes when Ray acts creatively to try and make his kid act how he believes is "normal". I bet if LN became a skater punk like Ray was back in the day (hell, he could borrow Beef's DK shirt) that Ray would be all about it. He just doesn't want the kid being like those kids that he hated back in high school.

<edit>Bozack: your sig is now 300% awesomer than it used to be, although I didn't notice what it was before.</edit>
Logged
Peace.

V-Adore

  • Guest
30 June -- Like a goth Bootsy Collins
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2004, 08:55:42 pm »

Quote from: "Bozack"
Man, when I saw it, I actually thought "Screamin' Jay Hawkins" more than Bootsy. But what do I know.
Anyway, yes, this is awesome.

Well, "goth Screamin' Jay Hawkins" is also a great image and entirely worthy of being the first runner-up to the "Bootsy Collins" alt-text.

But you can't go wrong with Bootsy, man.
Logged

MSC

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 142
    • View Profile
30 June -- Like a goth Bootsy Collins
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2004, 01:22:07 pm »

The overlooked -- but excellent -- thing about this strip is the "room service" tray of food outside Ray's room.  Ray has people to clean up after him.
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
30 June -- Like a goth Bootsy Collins
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2004, 01:49:10 pm »

Quote from: "MSC"
has people to clean up after him.


I suspect that it is in fact the case with the room service tray, and the dumb waiter, that he has no serving staff, but likes to use them as some pretense of class.

The Ray:
2 shots of class
1 shot of laze
shake smoothly (schmoovely)
dress with style and serve
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
30 June -- Like a goth Bootsy Collins
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2004, 04:20:15 pm »

Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "MSC"
has people to clean up after him.

I suspect that it is in fact the case with the room service tray, and the dumb waiter, that he has no serving staff, but likes to use them as some pretense of class.

The Ray:
2 shots of class
1 shot of laze
shake smoothly (schmoovely)
dress with style and serve

I noticed the tray but have to agree with slink. If Ray had a staff you just know he'd be mildy abusive. Kind of like he is with Beef where he doesn't realize he's being a dick. That seems like something we'd see in the strip.

But I also can't see Ray doing his own laundry.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
30 June -- Like a goth Bootsy Collins
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2004, 04:29:15 pm »

What laundry?

I mean, how hard is it to wash a thong?

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
30 June -- Like a goth Bootsy Collins
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2004, 05:02:54 pm »

You gotta polish the crown, too.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
30 June -- Like a goth Bootsy Collins
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2004, 08:29:51 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
What laundry?

I mean, how hard is it to wash a thong?

The cat has robes. Not to mention sheets and towels. And do you think Ray cleans his own toilet/sink/kitchen floor?
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up