Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Jumping jacks, flinging myself off of low decks, yelling into an empty bottle of carrot juice. Trying to get in writing mode.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RIP Marlon Brando  (Read 2439 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Flenker

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 68
    • View Profile
    • http://www.picdump.org/gallery/chris
RIP Marlon Brando
« on: July 02, 2004, 04:42:23 pm »

one of my favorite actors died.... A sad day. Time to watch Godfather 1 and 2, Last Tango in Paris, and On the Waterfront. Then time to go to the library for Apocalypse Now and A Streetcar Named Desire....

http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Movies/07/02/obit.brando/index.html
Logged

sailor

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 301
    • View Profile
RIP Marlon Brando
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2004, 05:51:39 pm »

The obit says "heart failure", which i hope means he was all runnin' around with a little kid, havin' a great time, and then the ole ticker just went and he just straight up fell down in the garden and died.
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
RIP Marlon Brando
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2004, 06:05:38 pm »

Quote from: "sailor"
idea of it not being lonely


Let's hope, but...

Has to be said, I will raise a glass to the guy, but (and I don't want this to sound cold but it inevitably will) it's at least not like we lost him when he was still acting.
I saw The Score when I was in Holland, and while not a stunning film or anything, I did enjoy it and will own it on DVD for Oz's faux-European direction, which works beautifully in Montreal, but that's an aside - I do believe this was his last performance, and it was a good one all the same, despite it being post the quote 'acting was a neurotic mistake' or something like.

We'll miss you big guy.
Off to watch, erm, well, Raging Bull actually, but I may have to dig out Godfather later. If not then Apocalypse Now as it's at hand.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
RIP Marlon Brando
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2004, 06:45:35 pm »

It's funny, I finally bought the DVD of "On the Waterfront" last month and haven't watched it yet.

Tonight would be a good time.

-- Jough, pouring out half of his 40 for his fallen 'homey'

Flenker

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 68
    • View Profile
    • http://www.picdump.org/gallery/chris
RIP Marlon Brando
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2004, 07:12:05 pm »

I guess I didn't really need to put Godfather 2 on that list, as Brando is not actually in it...  But his character was, and it is a good damn movie.  

I'll add Superman and Guys and Dolls to the list too.  My roommates and I are discussing have a marathon when we all return after the holiday weekend.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
RIP Marlon Brando
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2004, 08:26:37 pm »

Yeah, time to watch "On the Waterfront" and the Godfather flicks. Time to entirely forget "The Island of Dr. Moreau" ever existed.

Godspeed, Mr. Brando. You've earned your rest.
Logged

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
RIP Marlon Brando
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2004, 09:03:53 pm »

I just smiled, in remembrance, as De Niro recited the section from On The Waterfront.

And V, thank you, couldn't have been put any better!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
RIP Marlon Brando
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2004, 07:57:00 pm »

I just remember watching Streetcar when I was like 12 and totally crushing on Brando (not Stanley - Brando, big difference) and then later finding out that he was no longer young and sexy.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
RIP Marlon Brando
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2004, 08:25:39 pm »

Quote from: "side_show"
I just remember watching Streetcar when I was like 12 and totally crushing on Brando (not Stanley - Brando, big difference) and then later finding out that he was no longer young and sexy.

I did the same thing, only change "Streetcar" to "Beetlejuice" and "Brando" to "Winona" and then just take the word "sexy" out. Oh, and change the genders. That's all.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
RIP Marlon Brando
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2004, 09:17:43 pm »

Quote from: "Bozack"
Quote from: "side_show"
I just remember watching Streetcar when I was like 12 and totally crushing on Brando (not Stanley - Brando, big difference) and then later finding out that he was no longer young and sexy.

I did the same thing, only change "Streetcar" to "Beetlejuice" and "Brando" to "Winona" and then just take the word "sexy" out. Oh, and change the genders. That's all.


For more gender confusion: I had a brief, jealous, girl on girl crush on Winona Ryder when I found out she was dating Johnny Depp. Depp was so sexy that I guess some of it rubbed off on her.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.
Pages: [1]   Go Up