Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

TOUAMB: Debating the decline and fall of Chris Onstad since 2003.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Der Ohrwurm Schlägt.  (Read 2866 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
Der Ohrwurm Schlägt.
« on: July 06, 2004, 04:33:49 pm »

This is so corny and typical-message-boardy that I hesitate to even submit it, but I'm at a desperate loose end.

I've got this song stuck in my head, see? And I haven't heard it for years. The only times I've ever heard it, in fact, I've been listening to the "classic rock" / "oldies" station on the radio. Normally, this wouldn't be Any Big Thing; I'd just download it, play it about fifty or seventy-five times in a row, and be done with it. Earworm extraction bears a surface resemblance to guinea worm extraction, but is far more pleasurable.

Anyway. I need your help because (a) this song is a fuck*ng instrumental and I have tried all manner of twisty Google acrobatics and (b) all of us combined have probably heard everything. It's mostly strings with a couple of lovely harpsichord breaks and, I think towards the end, a big triumphant sort of orchestral swell that winds back down into a reprise of the opening. (I know next to nothing about technical musical terminology. Bear with me. Hell, at this point it would be worth the bullet to my dignity to sing it over the phone in exchange for a title.)
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Der Ohrwurm Schlägt.
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2004, 04:58:46 pm »

Perhaps you could post a .wav file of your singing it.

Seriously, though, might it be Love's Theme by Barry White and his funky-ass orchestra?
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Der Ohrwurm Schlägt.
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2004, 05:05:00 pm »

Any idea when it was released?

Could it be that ELO song they place before the Final Four?  Nadia's Theme?  Music Box Dancer?  Theme from "A Summer Place"?  Baby Elephant Waltz?  The Stonecutters Theme?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
Der Ohrwurm Schlägt.
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2004, 05:44:15 pm »

Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
Perhaps you could post a .wav file of your singing it.


A few moments of awkward tonelessness on the telephone or over some sort of voice-messaging client are small potatoes compared to digital media that can be hilariously replayed again and again, and shared with friends and strangers alike over this "Internet". (c.f. Star Wars Kid, Tron Guy, et al.)

It was not "Love's Theme" by Barry White and the Love Unlimited Orchestra, although damn, that's a good one, too. I seem to have a gland or something that is specifically and vigorously massaged by instrumentals in this vein.

August, I'm fairly certain that it was released... in the sixties?

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Nadia's Theme

GODDAMNIT WHEN DID THEY EVER START PLAYING SOAP OPERA MUSIC ON THE OLDIES STATION, EVER

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Baby Elephant Walk

THIS IS MUSIC FOR CHILDREN
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Der Ohrwurm Schlägt.
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2004, 05:58:52 pm »

Is it associated in your mind with any television programs from the 70's?  Rockford Files, perchance?  The Bob Newhart Show? S.W.A.T.?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Der Ohrwurm Schlägt.
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2004, 06:01:45 pm »

Quote from: "Proust"
August, I'm fairly certain that it was released... in the sixties?

 Missed this on my first reading.  Could it be Classical Gas?  Green Onions?  Walk Don't Run?  Telstar?  Spanish Flea/Tijuana Taxi?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
Der Ohrwurm Schlägt.
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2004, 06:18:00 pm »

It's certainly not a TV theme (although the theme from the Rockford Files is like the coolest TV music ever), and it's none of the instrumentals you mentioned. Funny, though, because it was listening to Classical Gas this morning that put it in mind. It may have been in a movie...? But it isn't "Theme from A Summer Place" or "Love Theme from Romeo and Juliet".
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Der Ohrwurm Schlägt.
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2004, 06:20:17 pm »

Quote from: "St_Zartan"
It's mostly strings with a couple of lovely harpsichord breaks and, I think towards the end, a big triumphant sort of orchestral swell that winds back down into a reprise of the opening.



Goddamn you.  I have a feeling I know exactly what song you're referring to.  They used to play it on the classic rock station here every Sunday during a radio show called Psychadelic Sundays. I have no idea who's song it is, or what it's called.  It indeed had harpsichord breaks.  

And now I have it stuck in my head.

And I just spent way, way too much time trying to find out what it is, who made it, etc.

And you're probably talking about a totally different song.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
Der Ohrwurm Schlägt.
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2004, 02:38:09 am »

"Love is Blue" by Paul Mauriat. January, 1968. What a great goddamned song this is.

My dad, the would-be pirate radio jockey, finally came up with the title. After five hours. I had a lot of conversations today that went like this:

ME: Okay, you've heard the song that goes like this - (HUMS TUNE.)
THEY: Oh! Oh, yeah, I know that one.
ME: Right, with the harpsichord breaks, that go (ETC.) . Okay, for the love of God, what's it called?
THEY: Oh. Oh, it's... I... I don't know.
ME: Yeah.

The version I found on Soulseek, by the way, isn't how I remember it; this is apparently because the original version (he read on Amazon, so it must be true) was never released on CD. EDIT: Found it on Soulseek anyway. Far superior. What the hell, Internet? How can this be?

THANK YOU FOR PLAYING
SEE YOU AGAIN NEXT GAME
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Der Ohrwurm Schlägt.
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2004, 06:40:23 am »

Quote from: "St_Zartan"
"Love is Blue" by Paul Mauriat. January, 1968. What a great goddamned song this is.

My dad, the would-be pirate radio jockey, finally came up with the title. After five hours. I had a lot of conversations today that went like this:

ME: Okay, you've heard the song that goes like this - (HUMS TUNE.)
THEY: Oh! Oh, yeah, I know that one.
ME: Right, with the harpsichord breaks, that go (ETC.) . Okay, for the love of God, what's it called?
THEY: Oh. Oh, it's... I... I don't know.
ME: Yeah.

The version I found on Soulseek, by the way, isn't how I remember it; this is apparently because the original version (he read on Amazon, so it must be true) was never released on CD. EDIT: Found it on Soulseek anyway. Far superior. What the hell, Internet? How can this be?

THANK YOU FOR PLAYING
SEE YOU AGAIN NEXT GAME


But...that's not an instrumental as I recall....Blue, blue, my world is blue, blue is my world, my world without you....right? Red, red, the bed is red, red is the bed, when I shot you dead. Or something like that.
Logged

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
Der Ohrwurm Schlägt.
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2004, 01:38:23 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
But...that's not an instrumental as I recall....Blue, blue, my world is blue, blue is my world, my world without you....right? Red, red, the bed is red, red is the bed, when I shot you dead. Or something like that.


Admittedly, this is the only version of "Love is Blue" I've ever heard (or specifically remember having heard), and as I listened to it about a thousand times last night, I can pretty safely assure you that there was no singing. However, in Doing My Looking Around, I noticed that lotsa folks have recorded a song by that name (Allmusic.com found 125); it's entirely possible that (a) we're thinking of two different songs with the same name or (b) Paul Mauriat recorded an instrumental version of an already extant song (like Apollo 100 used to do all the time). The lyrics you quote actually fit the melody like a glove, so it could very well be that we're both right.

If you don't mind a 6 MB attachment, I'd be happy to e-mail the song to you.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Der Ohrwurm Schlägt.
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2004, 01:10:56 am »

Not necessary...I bet we are thinking of the same song since the version I remember from the shitty easy listening stations every office had to play until I was about 18 did actually have a sort of harpsichordy bridge between the verses. And also, I like my second verse a lot and I wouldn't want to ruin it.
Logged

sailor

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 301
    • View Profile
Der Ohrwurm Schlägt.
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2004, 10:45:53 pm »

Well, glad you found it. I was gonna say call the radio station, cos a lot of the time Dj's are kinda bored and willing to help out with sonic conditions.
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?
Pages: [1]   Go Up