Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RT@achewood New Roast Beef band name: THE DATA-TONES

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Quick question for someone who is good at making graphics...  (Read 2633 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives

Hey kids,

I know a bunch of people on here are graphics artists, either by hobby or trade.

I am redesigning my Poetry X web site, and am making a new graphic based on this little icon I made last year:



Basically the thing is a little circle cut into four pie-wedges where the negative space makes an X.  It's not great, but I drew it pixel by pixel and I like the way it looks.

Now I'm trying to make a larger logo that uses that little X circle image, but just blowing it up of course makes it look all pixely:



and trying to blur it to smooth it out just makes it look blurry:



Does anyone know of a way to make something look sharper and smoother at the same time using say, Photoshop?

I guess I could re-draw the design in Illustrator, but I do not really know how to properly use Illustrator, and I can't really make artwork worth a shit.

I'm thinking of making a logo contest or something, but I'm semi-broke right now.

Damn.  I just have so little talent for making graphics for the web.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Quick question for someone who is good at making graphics...
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2004, 12:08:47 am »

Mail me the font file and hex codes and I'll do it up for you.

whatever at 10 mar 2001 dot com
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Quick question for someone who is good at making graphics...
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2004, 12:22:23 am »

Well, I am not married to any font or colour.  I believe the little logo is all red: #FF0000 and the blue is lightish: #0099CC but those were just quick choices because I suck at graphics and making logos.

I could use Lyle's help here.  I'd like something retro-looking but I am no artist.

sailor

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 301
    • View Profile
Quick question for someone who is good at making graphics...
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2004, 11:00:41 pm »

I kinda like the pixel-y version. All Diesel Sweeties style.
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Quick question for someone who is good at making graphics...
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2004, 01:35:41 am »

Yeah, I thought about that.  I was thinking more of "the old Hot Wired Style" (since that's what Diesel Sweeties looks like) but then I'd have to make the font all pixely to match, huh?

And I don't know if the pixely thing would really be in service of the type of site it is.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Quick question for someone who is good at making graphics...
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2004, 04:21:11 am »

If you do decide to go the pixel font route, get them from wpdfd. Lovely, perfect pixel fonts for cheap ($8 to $15, compare to other type stores) which belong in anybody's library if said anybody makes graphics of any kind.

What's the name of the font you used in that original graphic? When I toss one up for you, I want to match, not innovate.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Quick question for someone who is good at making graphics...
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2004, 05:27:23 pm »

I will misspell this, but it's one that comes with Windows: Haettenschweiller.
Pages: [1]   Go Up