Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Sssshhh...I'm discovering Sleater-Kinney. This is a special time in a boy's life.

Poll

Move to the Aleutian Islands if they offer you the job?

Hell yes, lady. Pack up the Scottish Folds and bask in newfound employment.
- 7 (58.3%)
Dang, the Aleutian Islands are godforsaken. Are you out of your mind?
- 4 (33.3%)
Obligatory Cowboyneal option.
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: July 15, 2004, 11:23:17 pm


Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Aleutian Islands  (Read 5906 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

sailor

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 301
    • View Profile
The Aleutian Islands
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2004, 10:16:53 pm »

After reading all these pots dealing with super cold winters, i think i'd rather take a job as a full-time jizz mopper, restricted from gloves, than have to face deadly cold and extreme isolation and potential hell of depression. I can't begin to even imagine how the hell they sell celery out there.
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
The Aleutian Islands
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2004, 06:33:17 am »

I would think twice about relocating to HAWAII again. What is an Urban Planner going to even do in a place like that?

You're young. Finding someone to share your life with will be tough in a remote place. Being that far from your family could be tough, too - my parents are getting on and being 5,000 miles and 6 time zones away can be pretty tough.

But, if ever you <could> do something like this, now is the time. So make the best of whatever decision you make...
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
The Aleutian Islands
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2004, 07:16:56 am »

AD, remind me to run all of my major life decisions by you in the future.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
The Aleutian Islands
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2004, 12:02:02 am »

Gosh, I have been doing so much thinking about this Aleutian quandary.

The first telephone interview went GREAT. They are going to a second round soon. The winner gets flown out for a faaaabulous all expenses paid vacation! hee. I was wrong, however, about the weather. Evidently it NEVER gets below Zero. However...it makes me wonder about the wind chill factor.

Fortunately for me, they are in no hurry to hire anyone. They are being cautious because they know that they have to hire somone from the lower 48, and that it is going to be a huge life change for most people. They don't want to bother with relocating me if they're just going to have me flee in terror a few months later.

so, yeah. Obviously, I would rather stay in Denver if at all possible. Unfortunately, the market is SHITTY and I cannot find work. I would LOVE to relocate to Vancouver or the San Francisco Bay area. Unfortunately...so does EVERYONE, and finding someone to pay me to relocate would be hard.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
The Aleutian Islands
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2004, 09:35:42 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
AD, remind me to run all of my major life decisions by you in the future.


I suggest slow painful suicide for you, Ya sarcastic Fuck, ya.

She asked for input. I provided input. From someone who actually did move to an Island, to boot.

PS. I love you like the retarded brother I never had.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
The Aleutian Islands
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2004, 09:41:18 pm »

No no. Sigh.

That's the problem with being a smart-ass.  Even when you're serious people think you're fuck*ng with them.

No, AD, I thought your advice was really good and sensible and I would consider asking for your advice in the future regarding major life decisions.

V-Adore

  • Guest
The Aleutian Islands
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2004, 10:10:50 pm »

Quote from: "linnea"
Fortunately for me, they are in no hurry to hire anyone. They are being cautious because they know that they have to hire somone from the lower 48, and that it is going to be a huge life change for most people. They don't want to bother with relocating me if they're just going to have me flee in terror a few months later.

It sounds like they're really doing the right thing. You're right that it's in nobody's best interest, especially the company's, to hire someone squeamish who won't be into the job for the long haul. Hopefully they'll consider that when they make actual hiring decision.

Quote
so, yeah. Obviously, I would rather stay in Denver if at all possible. Unfortunately, the market is SHITTY and I cannot find work. I would LOVE to relocate to Vancouver or the San Francisco Bay area. Unfortunately...so does EVERYONE, and finding someone to pay me to relocate would be hard.

This is also true.

Anyway, I think there have been a lot of good points on the thread. AD is very right that you have to think about establishing a lasting future, and the Aleutians might not be the place for that. On the other hand... well, it seems to me like, if you're ever going to embark on an adventure, this is the time in your life to do it, when you've got very little to lose and everything to gain. It's your decision, though, and just keep giving it plenty of thought.
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
The Aleutian Islands
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2004, 10:55:50 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
...if you're ever going to embark on an adventure, this is the time in your life to do it, when you've got very little to lose and everything to gain.

That's what I thought before I went on my last adventure. But, as it turns out, I did have something pretty important to lose. I rue that day, every morning, when I pop in my wooden testicle.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

V-Adore

  • Guest
The Aleutian Islands
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2004, 11:15:29 pm »

Quote from: "Bozack"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
...if you're ever going to embark on an adventure, this is the time in your life to do it, when you've got very little to lose and everything to gain.

That's what I thought before I went on my last adventure. But, as it turns out, I did have something pretty important to lose. I rue that day, every morning, when I pop in my wooden testicle.

Man, couldn't even shell out for some Neuticles?

Or, hell, ask Ray. I'm sure he's got something a little bourgeois and extravagant, the testicle-replacement equivalent of his telekinetic ***** pool table.

... er, but... yeah.
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
The Aleutian Islands
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2004, 12:43:22 am »

Wow, they're going to fly me out there.

They called all my references today and now thery're going to run the background check. I'm actually getting pretty excited about this. I could live there for 2 or 3 years, get my professional experience, and then move wherever. Plus I have ridiculous debts and I think that it would be good for me to just work a while and pay them down.

Because of my bipolar disorder and hell of depression, I am not going to have a family. So I'm not really interested in meeting anyone in AK. As they say, "the odds are good, but the goods are odd."

Plus I am still hell of carrying a torch for a bloke I met in college. He's stationed overseas and he's an officer now. That's a damn sight better than my ex-fiance, who was only an E3 after 6 years of service in the US Army. Maybe we'll meet again after he's stationed stateside. He is trying for a post in Alaska or Hawaii. He and I have kept in contact since we graduated and I'm hoping that we'll get to see each other sometime.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
The Aleutian Islands
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2004, 01:06:59 am »

Quote from: "linnea"
Because of my bipolar disorder and hell of depression, I am not going to have a family. So I'm not really interested in meeting anyone in AK. As they say, "the odds are good, but the goods are odd."

Um, it's my understanding that depression is often tied with seasonal affective so would be living in Alaska really be the best idea?
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
The Aleutian Islands
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2004, 01:12:23 am »

Congratulations on being flown out! You'll get a good idea for the location, if nothing else, and presumably there's still time to say "ohgoodGODIdon'twanttolivehere,absolutelynot,sendmebacktothelower48andImeanNOW."

Good luck with the guy, too!
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
The Aleutian Islands
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2004, 01:21:23 am »

Quote from: "jough"
No no. Sigh.

That's the problem with being a smart-ass.  Even when you're serious people think you're fuck*ng with them.

No, AD, I thought your advice was really good and sensible and I would consider asking for your advice in the future regarding major life decisions.


Ah, OK... Then I love you like the retarded brother you actually aren't.

Linnea, if you wind up in Alaska, you can visit Hawaii pretty cheap and I expect to see you here, maybe when Wombat finally gets off her butt...
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
The Aleutian Islands
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2004, 04:07:46 am »

Just noticed the Cowboyneal option.  With a name like "August West" I have to vote for the Cowboyneal (at the Wheel) option.

To actually weigh in with some advice, I say lean toward adventures when you have the freedom to pursue them.  I'd love to be able to do something like this, but it's a practical impossibility.  Enjoy your freedom while you can.

That being said, don't be a fool.  Don't move for the sake of moving.  If the job looks interesting and the people are nice, I say go for it.  But a shitty job is a shitty job.  They suck and they suck even worse 67 miles from nowhere.  You should also be fair to your employer.  Don't go into it planning to move in 6 months.  Be straight up.

Also, re: wanting to relocate to Vancouver or SFO.  Meh.  Great cities, I'm sure.  But why restrict yourself.  Cool is where you find it.  You could find your heart's desire in Schenectady or Cedar Rapids.  Screw being trendy.

Finally -- E3 after 6 years?  Loser.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
The Aleutian Islands
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2004, 06:39:14 pm »

Mang. I can hardly wait.

When I get there, I plan to eat Alaskan King Crab until I PUKE EVERYWHERE.

Gas is three bucks a gallon, but if I move there I'm going to get a big ass truck anyway. With like eighteen feet of snowfall a year, I think I can justify it.

Cost of living is going to kind of suck. For example, cable Internet is $80.00 a month, plus whatever they charge for basic cable (which is a prerequisite for getting cable internet, apparently).

It is going to be such a rad adventure. I found this pattern, and I'm going to knit this adorable sweaters for my cats.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up