Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You might, rabbit

You might.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 7/20/04: SaniTaco! The Safe, Fun Taco  (Read 3419 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
7/20/04: SaniTaco! The Safe, Fun Taco
« on: July 20, 2004, 09:44:05 am »

Up again writing a damn paper due in like 8 hours.

Maybe this will seem funnier when I am less stressed and less wanting to shoot myself.

Although, SaniTaco makes me think of a taco with cleaning products in it.  It seems scarier than a roach infested one.  I think it's a bad marketing move.

Also, my favorite line is "I will get an oral disease or else the papillomavirus."  It's kind of Beef-esque, but I thought "SaniTaco! The Safe, Fun Taco" made a better subject line, and is at least mildy amusing.  But then again, I want to die.  And I am tired.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
7/20/04: SaniTaco! The Safe, Fun Taco
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2004, 10:10:50 am »

Is this the first strip set up by a plotline in the blogs?
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
7/20/04: SaniTaco! The Safe, Fun Taco
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2004, 01:11:34 pm »

I believe it is. Which means that either Chris reads Lyle's blog or they had a conversation about this.
Logged

sailor

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 301
    • View Profile
7/20/04: SaniTaco! The Safe, Fun Taco
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2004, 03:19:00 pm »

Quote from: "Gimpson"
Is this the first strip set up by a plotline in the blogs?


Yes, and therefore it's value will increase over time. Like the first appearence of Cable, or maybe that of Gambit.

Hold your fire, guys! It's just Sanitacos!
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?

doomglobe

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 35
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 410
    • View Profile
    • doom globe
7/20/04: SaniTaco! The Safe, Fun Taco
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2004, 04:39:54 pm »

what is a papilomavirus? can you get it from just kissing a taco?
Logged
[expletive deleted]

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
7/20/04: SaniTaco! The Safe, Fun Taco
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2004, 07:05:24 pm »

Okay, I've been only reading the blogs in large chunks once a week.

I'm wondering now about the archive value of the blogs and the strips.  Should someone who is just getting into Achewood go back and read the strip, then all the blogs for that day, then the next strip, then all of the blogs up until THAT day, etc.?

Won't that be a huge pain in the ass?

sailor

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 301
    • View Profile
7/20/04: SaniTaco! The Safe, Fun Taco
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2004, 07:12:47 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
Okay, I've been only reading the blogs in large chunks once a week.

I'm wondering now about the archive value of the blogs and the strips.  Should someone who is just getting into Achewood go back and read the strip, then all the blogs for that day, then the next strip, then all of the blogs up until THAT day, etc.?

Won't that be a huge pain in the ass?


Given that the blogs are useless without a good knowledge of the characters, newcomers should just read the archives up to the present, establihing themselves as up-to-date, and then go back and enjoy some hot blog action. 'Cos the blogs are like the free drinks in first class; you don't really need 'em, but boy, are they nice.
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?

Iconorast

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1
    • View Profile
7/20/04: SaniTaco! The Safe, Fun Taco
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2004, 07:26:57 pm »

I had an idea to make a taco stand(or a restaraunt connected to my pub) called "The Filthy Taco", and the logo would be a taco with hair and a bandaid on it, and the slogan would be "it's just a name."
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
7/20/04: SaniTaco! The Safe, Fun Taco
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2004, 07:43:44 pm »

Quote from: "sailor"
'Cos the blogs are like the free drinks in first class; you don't really need 'em, but boy, are they nice.


Well, you're saying you don't need 'em, but someone above wrote that today's strip is funny only if you've been reading the blogs.  I did not find today's strip all that good, but then again, I haven't read the blogs in a few days.

So had I read the blogs first, perhaps the strip would have been funnier.

Or is it only meta-funny?  I.E., is the very aspect of something from the blogs being mentioned in the strip ITSELF funny, or does knowledge of the blogs make the strip funny due to some in-joke that only readers of the blogs would get?

Also, is anyone archiving the blog entries, just in case?

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
7/20/04: SaniTaco! The Safe, Fun Taco
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2004, 08:20:01 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
So had I read the blogs first, perhaps the strip would have been funnier.


Definitely.  (Spoiler warning?)

They're now running a taco stand whose main selling point is the sanitary nature of their ingredients, which we know to be leftovers from the restaurant that Lyle is working at and have already gotten at least one person sick.  

How obsessively are the rest of you reading the blogs?  I have too much time on my hands at work, so I refresh the blogs quite frequently.  (This board too...  I need to make a donation, Jough...)
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
7/20/04: SaniTaco! The Safe, Fun Taco
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2004, 08:22:05 pm »

Quote from: "Iconorast"
I had an idea to make a taco stand(or a restaraunt connected to my pub) called "The Filthy Taco", and the logo would be a taco with hair and a bandaid on it, and the slogan would be "it's just a name."


I've always wanted to have a burrito joint, and have the slogan be "All Things Are Burrito."

Quote from: "Gimpson"
How obsessively are the rest of you reading the blogs? I have too much time on my hands at work, so I refresh the blogs quite frequently.


Once a day.  Well, maybe twice.  Actually, three times.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
7/20/04: SaniTaco! The Safe, Fun Taco
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2004, 09:00:49 pm »

Quote from: "Gimpson"
Quote from: "jough"
So had I read the blogs first, perhaps the strip would have been funnier.

Definitely.  (Spoiler warning?)

They're now running a taco stand whose main selling point is the sanitary nature of their ingredients, which we know to be leftovers from the restaurant that Lyle is working at and have already gotten at least one person sick.  

How obsessively are the rest of you reading the blogs?  I have too much time on my hands at work, so I refresh the blogs quite frequently.  (This board too...  I need to make a donation, Jough...)

The strip establishes the same back-story for the food just in a much smaller space. The blog expands on the background in that Lyle was shocked by the volume of leftovers, and that some made Philippe sick.

I used to read once or twice weekly but I installed the Sage RSS reader into Firefox last week and since have been checking in daily. It's really so much more convenient that way.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
7/20/04: SaniTaco! The Safe, Fun Taco
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2004, 09:29:42 pm »

I think this strip is definitely funnier if you've been reading the blogs, but the blogs aren't necessary. The real gag is the idea of the SaniTaco in general, not that Lyle has leftover taco stuff -- however, the fact that Lyle has a grotesque amount of leftovers and that it made Philippe sick certainly adds to it.

Not the best strip, but it does set a strange little precedent of its own.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
7/20/04: SaniTaco! The Safe, Fun Taco
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2004, 09:35:50 pm »

Quote from: "Gimpson"
How obsessively are the rest of you reading the blogs?  I have too much time on my hands at work, so I refresh the blogs quite frequently.  (This board too...  I need to make a donation, Jough...)


I like the way you're thinking.

Also, by clicking on an Amazon.com banner if it appears above if you're going to be buying something from Amazon anyway helps a tiny bit.

ferocious j

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 231
    • View Profile
    • http://automatedredemption.com/flavorcountry/
7/20/04: SaniTaco! The Safe, Fun Taco
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2004, 10:34:35 pm »

I don't think it's necessarily the restaurant's fault that Philippe got sick, so much as the fact that he asked specifically for and received shrimp.  Doesn't shrimp go bad in like ten seconds?  Especially if, for instance, Lyle carried it around in his presumably-warm pocket for who-knows-how-long?
Logged
I step to the mic like a Jedi knight
I'm all "off with your head" with my neon light
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up