Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood C:\> Get on the Night Train. || You are on the Night Train. There is an Axl Rose here.

Poll

Okay, should we split the "Achewood Character Blogs" topic into separate threads?

YES! I can't follow this shit anymore.
- 15 (65.2%)
Nah, I don't want the forum cluttered.
- 6 (26.1%)
I am a lurker and/or noncommittal.
- 2 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Voting closed: July 21, 2004, 07:18:38 pm


Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Should We Start Splitting the Blog Topic?  (Read 4792 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Should We Start Splitting the Blog Topic?
« on: July 21, 2004, 07:14:42 pm »

(Split into its own topic for polling goodness and sticked for now so people will see it.)

Quote from: "doomglobe"
VADORE THIS THREAD IS fuck*ng HUGE AND I CANT NAVIGATE THROUGH IT AT ALL AND YOUR MODDING IS JUST COMPRESSING ALL COMMENTS INTO IT AND MAKING IT WORSE.

I think this is the first time I have been screamed at in ALL CAPS about my modding ability. I feel vaguely honored.

Anyway, this is a point: do people want the blog topic split off into different threads based on characters/event chains and such? I'm willing to do it if people really think it's necessary.

(Then again, this may end up being August's call, as I'm going to Beautiful Pigeon Forge, TN as of tonight and will spend a long weekend "hanging" with my "peeps" and possibly "being photographed in a Sanryobuki shirt in an embarrassing location.") (I will be in an embarrassing location wearing the shirt; the shirt will not be in an embarrassing location, except in that I will be wearing it. Where I normally wear a shirt, i.e. on my torso.) (I hope that clarifies.)
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Should We Start Splitting the Blog Topic?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2004, 07:33:53 pm »

I haven't even started reading it or the blogs as both seem like far too much worth.  Poll: Is it worth my VIP time?
Logged
goose means greedy

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Should We Start Splitting the Blog Topic?
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2004, 07:36:11 pm »

Quote from: "andalucia"
I haven't even started reading it or the blogs as both seem like far too much worth.  Poll: Is it worth my VIP time?


YES, goddammit!  What kind of Achehead fangirl are you?
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Should We Start Splitting the Blog Topic?
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2004, 07:39:20 pm »

I agree it should be split but can't think of a good splitting scheme. By date would result in lots of threadlettes and by character would force cross-posting.

Andalucia, yes. I was skeptical at first and only checked them occasionally but they've won me over. Once you catch up it's very easy to keep up. He only seems to write 3 or 4 entries a day between the 11 blogs. And if you have any kind of RSS set-up it can tell you which 4 so you don't waste time trying to get blogspot to load.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Should We Start Splitting the Blog Topic?
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2004, 07:51:39 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
I agree it should be split but can't think of a good splitting scheme. By date would result in lots of threadlettes and by character would force cross-posting.

I was wondering about this too. My first impulse is "by character, with possible new threads for long multi-character event chains like the Risotto War and Ray's pool troubles," but I'm open to ideas, especially since it seems like right now there's a strong vote to split.

And yes, Andalucia, the blogs are worth your time. The topic may or may not be, but at least give the blogs a spin.
Logged

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Should We Start Splitting the Blog Topic?
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2004, 08:07:33 pm »

No. The blogs are so cross-referenced that it is silly to have different threads for each one.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

sailor

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 301
    • View Profile
Should We Start Splitting the Blog Topic?
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2004, 08:45:15 pm »

No and no. There is no way to split this topic that would make any sense. I don't really understand the problem. The blog thread is just a thread that follows the drama of the blogs. Yes, it will be a long, on-going thread. Is this going to ruin the Internet for everyone in some manner I am not aware of?
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Should We Start Splitting the Blog Topic?
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2004, 09:10:21 pm »

I was thinking that a thread for each blog would be good, but the beauty of the blogs is their cross-referencing each other.

I mean, the beauty of the Teodor/Onstad Risotto Wars (and who coined that term here?  It doesn't appear in any of the blogs) was capped off yesterday by an entry in Philippe's blog.  Wonderful.

I finally caught up with them and will use Cort's idea of Sage as it pulls up the RSS feeds very nicely.  That makes them all easy to read.

I don't really know how to organise this, though.

THIS IS WHY YOU ARE THE MODS.

Now I'm going to make a cucumber sandwich.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Should We Start Splitting the Blog Topic?
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2004, 10:03:32 pm »

I don't really see the problem with a long-ass, 6-page + thread. Usually I just go to the last page and see what's been added since I last saw. It's not like I'm searching through the source material looking for the Bible Code or anything.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

V-Adore

  • Guest
Should We Start Splitting the Blog Topic?
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2004, 10:04:14 pm »

Okay, here's my current proposition for splitting if there is such a split, pending comments and August's input as co-mod:

1) The topic will be split into sub-topics based on character: "Ray's Blog," "Molly's Blog," etc.
2) In the case of particularly intertwined storylines (the Risotto War, Ray's pool travails, etc.), new subtopics may be spawned/split just for discussion of those storylines.
3) However, because of the deep interconnectedness of the blogs, discussion of general blog-related issues connected to that character will be considered on-topic. For example, while a separate topic would be split for the Risotto War, discussion of the various Risotto War entries would be appropriate in the "Teodor's Blog," "Onstad's Blog," and "Philippe's Blog" topics.
4) General blog discussion and posts about the blogs as a whole (or about many characters) will remain in the original "Achewood Character Blogs" topic, and that topic will remain open to discussion.

The point of this is to make things easier to follow, not to artificially retard discussion of an interesting intertwined Achewood development. If we all can stay cool, I don't think it's necessary to keep even separate topics absolutely segregated from one another.

(N.B. to Doomglobe: the more you scream at me in all-caps about being a shitty mod, the less likely I am to do any of this. Just so you know.)
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Should We Start Splitting the Blog Topic?
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2004, 10:06:31 pm »

Quote from: "Bozack"
I don't really see the problem with a long-ass, 6-page + thread. Usually I just go to the last page and see what's been added since I last saw. It's not like I'm searching through the source material looking for the Bible Code or anything.

Well, I think the initial concern came from a poster who doesn't keep day-to-day track of the boards and thus was a little intimidated by the thread length. I agree that, if you read daily or every-other-day, keeping up with even a long thread is no problem, but I'm still considering working with this.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Should We Start Splitting the Blog Topic?
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2004, 10:13:31 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
I was thinking that a thread for each blog would be good, but the beauty of the blogs is their cross-referencing each other.

I mean, the beauty of the Teodor/Onstad Risotto Wars (and who coined that term here?  It doesn't appear in any of the blogs) was capped off yesterday by an entry in Philippe's blog.  Wonderful.

I finally caught up with them and will use Cort's idea of Sage as it pulls up the RSS feeds very nicely.  That makes them all easy to read.

It was wombat

I'll warn you that for some reason Sage cuts off LN's blog after a couple sentences but shows the full text of everybody else's for reasons I can't explain.

I've also started using Sage to keep up with parts of the Wash Post
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Should We Start Splitting the Blog Topic?
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2004, 12:36:47 am »

Ooo, I've been personally CortJstr'd.  How extremely cool.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Should We Start Splitting the Blog Topic?
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2004, 01:10:29 am »

Quote from: "wombat"
Ooo, I've been personally CortJstr'd.  How extremely cool.

So it was good for you, baby?

</Leisure Suit Larry>
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Should We Start Splitting the Blog Topic?
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2004, 04:23:45 am »

I'm tending toward favoring the single thread for all the blogs option.  I view them as parts of a unified whole, so discussing them separately doesn't really make sense.

However, to promote ease of use and generally simplify things how about this -- weekly blog threads, vis. Blogs Week of 7/19.  That way we don't have mammoth threads, yet we retain the organic connectedness of the collective blog entity.

Also, please allow me to say that I am PISSED at having to mod to this extent.  This is getting to be like work, dammit!  

Your laissez-faire pal,

August
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up