Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "One of Your Shoes is By the Dog Food: A Tale of Things Not Worth Mentioning During Married Life," is out in September on Harper-Doubleday.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: "It Seemed To Give Him Energy."- 23/7/04  (Read 11024 times)

0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
"It Seemed To Give Him Energy."- 23/7/04
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2004, 06:43:14 pm »

Call me a cynic, but the only reason there's even a SaniTaco in the strip is to sell t-shirts with the logo on them.

Formica

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 205
    • View Profile
"It Seemed To Give Him Energy."- 23/7/04
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2004, 07:06:18 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
Call me a cynic, but the only reason there's even a SaniTaco in the strip is to sell t-shirts with the logo on them.

You're a cynic. Not that it's a bad thing, of course.

Quote from: "side_show"
Woah now. Lyle ain't no alpha male. It's all about Ray as far as I'm concerned. This will so totally be followed by Ray giving the smack down.

Sorry, but there is no way I can see Ray kicking Lyle's ass. Yeah, sure, Ray is now Diamond Ray Smuckles, with the Achewood police wrapped around his finger and a multiplatinum album, etc etc... but Lyle would tear him a new asshole without even breaking a sweat. And Ray knows it.

I'm going for the more primal, strongest-gets-to-reproduce angle, I guess.

edited due to incorrectly attributing side_show's quotation
Logged

PinkStainlessTail

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 269
    • View Profile
    • http://horsmanistan.blogspot.com/
"It Seemed To Give Him Energy."- 23/7/04
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2004, 07:53:35 pm »

Lyle totally fights dirty, too.
Logged
"Plush. Rabid. Festering. Pulchritude. Eschew!"

"That may be the worst cheer ever."
-The University of Universal Understanding, S. Aldred

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
"It Seemed To Give Him Energy."- 23/7/04
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2004, 07:56:48 pm »

Quote from: "the alt-text says:"
Ray is so pissed that Lyle sent disparaging erotic fiction to Nugget magazine


What?!  LYLE sent in that letter?  It's not from the lady involved?  I am stunned.

"Dear Penthouse Forum, I never thought I'd be sending a letter like this, but..."
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Steve Hogan

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 167
    • View Profile
    • http://www.steve-hogan.com/
"It Seemed To Give Him Energy."- 23/7/04
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2004, 08:00:39 pm »

Quote from: "palm trees"
a SaniTaco t-shirt would be possibly the best piece of merchandise that onstad could ever sell.



I dunno.  A SaniTaco urban sombrero might trump that.
Logged

sailor

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 301
    • View Profile
"It Seemed To Give Him Energy."- 23/7/04
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2004, 09:33:41 pm »

Quote from: "palm trees"

much better than those new ray + nice pete designs grumble


Just yesterday i was thinking "For one funny dude, 'stad sure lacks hella savvy 'bout makin' shirt designs." The best one ever was a DIY design, on display here-ish. "Phillipe is standing on it." Simple. Beautiful. And a Sani Taco shirt would be rad especially if it didn't scream "Onstad-style design" and looked more like a true-life shitty corporate logo.

PS- also, this strip is funny. Lyle is the alpha male in the way that a large size grandfather is alpha male. It is just generally known that you just never fuck with him. Ray can be the "dad" figure, all trying to run the show, but of course lookin' like the fool he is most of the time anyway.
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
"It Seemed To Give Him Energy."- 23/7/04
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2004, 01:21:22 am »

Quote from: "Gimpson"
Quote from: "side_show"
But really, I just wanted to interject "a sign that things are awesome" into the thread.  I was just thinking as I was driving to my office today that things are just so awesome.  I was in my car, thinking how weird it was that I was happy to be going into work, and liking my job.  Then I told myself "this is a sign that things are awesome," and then I got here and the strip pleased me so.  It pleased me so.


Say, are you all split on green?


This is why I love this place.

Gimpson, You. Are. Rad.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
"It Seemed To Give Him Energy."- 23/7/04
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2004, 02:43:47 pm »

Quote from: "sailor"
The best one ever was a DIY design, on display here-ish. "Phillipe is standing on it." Simple. Beautiful.


That Philippe design is not so much "good" as it is "on a girl with breasts". Don't feel bad; people make this mistake so often that our entire economy is more or less based on it.

For maximum authenticity, the Sani-Taco logo would have to be embroidered on one of those humanity-sapping knit "golf shirts" with the collar and puffy little cuffs all a different color offensive to the shirt itself (c.f. any fuck*ng chain video store). They would be a complete fuck*ng failure, selling only to the habitually slumming Hipster Elite. Then we know for whom to wait in the Parking Garage, so that we may kill them with cricket bats. IT'S WIN-WIN
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
"It Seemed To Give Him Energy."- 23/7/04
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2004, 03:26:39 pm »

Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Quote from: "sailor"
The best one ever was a DIY design, on display here-ish. "Phillipe is standing on it." Simple. Beautiful.


That Philippe design is not so much "good" as it is "on a girl with breasts".


I like those kind so much better than those girls without.

IT IS SOMETHING THAT EVERY MAN MUST CHOOSE FOR HIMSELF

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
"It Seemed To Give Him Energy."- 23/7/04
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2004, 04:26:13 pm »

Quote from: "St_Zartan"
That Philippe design is not so much "good" as it is "on a girl with breasts". Don't feel bad; people make this mistake so often that our entire economy is more or less based on it.

For maximum authenticity, the Sani-Taco logo would have to be embroidered on one of those humanity-sapping knit "golf shirts" with the collar and puffy little cuffs all a different color offensive to the shirt itself (c.f. any fuck*ng chain video store). They would be a complete fuck*ng failure, selling only to the habitually slumming Hipster Elite. Then we know for whom to wait in the Parking Garage, so that we may kill them with cricket bats. IT'S WIN-WIN


Has anyone told Zart that we love him lately?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

sailor

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 301
    • View Profile
"It Seemed To Give Him Energy."- 23/7/04
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2004, 09:55:33 pm »

Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Quote from: "sailor"
The best one ever was a DIY design, on display here-ish. "Phillipe is standing on it." Simple. Beautiful.


That Philippe design is not so much "good" as it is "on a girl with breasts". Don't feel bad; people make this mistake so often that our entire economy is more or less based on it.



no way, dogg. I don't even like BIG breasts, i see them a hella turn-off. I like the inside-joke aspect of that design much better than anything. It could be on hairy man-tits for all i care.
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
"It Seemed To Give Him Energy."- 23/7/04
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2004, 03:28:49 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Gimpson"
Quote from: "side_show"
But really, I just wanted to interject "a sign that things are awesome" into the thread.  I was just thinking as I was driving to my office today that things are just so awesome.  I was in my car, thinking how weird it was that I was happy to be going into work, and liking my job.  Then I told myself "this is a sign that things are awesome," and then I got here and the strip pleased me so.  It pleased me so.


Say, are you all split on green?


This is why I love this place.

Gimpson, You. Are. Rad.


Gimpson, You. Are. Indeed. Rad.

AugustWest, You. Are. Also. Rad.

Everyone, You. Are. Rad.

For the record, no I am not spliet on green, just happy.  La, la, la!
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
"It Seemed To Give Him Energy."- 23/7/04
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2004, 03:59:21 pm »

Quote from: "sailor"
no way, dogg. I don't even like BIG breasts, i see them a hella turn-off.


Now, I like to think of myself as a breast partisan. Big, small, I loves them all! Thus, it seems odd for me to see big breasts as a "hella turn-off." But I guess most people don't see assless leather chaps as a "hella turn-on," so I guess different strokes for different folks.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

sailor

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 301
    • View Profile
"It Seemed To Give Him Energy."- 23/7/04
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2004, 05:36:01 pm »

Quote from: "Bozack"
Quote from: "sailor"
no way, dogg. I don't even like BIG breasts, i see them a hella turn-off.


Now, I like to think of myself as a breast partisan. Big, small, I loves them all! Thus, it seems odd for me to see big breasts as a "hella turn-off." But I guess most people don't see assless leather chaps as a "hella turn-on," so I guess different strokes for different folks.


I think my current breast position come spartially  from A) a bad relationship with a large-breasted girl that involved lame sex and B) an awesome relationship with a small-breasted girl in which much rad sex was had.

That and big boobs are gross.
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
"It Seemed To Give Him Energy."- 23/7/04
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2004, 10:57:39 pm »

Quote from: "sailor"

That and big boobs are gross.


Could we stop wounding people's feelings for things about their appearance that they have no control over and get back to discussing the comic?  No, that would be stupid.  Could we get back to having the thread wander but in some less hurtful direction?  Thanks. Not that there's any reason that this should bother me, no no not at all.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up