Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Wife upset because I kept her up all night playing World of Snorecraft.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Achewood Character Blogs -- Week of July 26  (Read 7228 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Achewood Character Blogs -- Week of July 26
« on: July 27, 2004, 05:32:01 pm »

For all your Achewood Character Blog discussion needs...
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Achewood Character Blogs -- Week of July 26
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2004, 07:13:28 pm »

I don't think the Risotto Wars are quite over yet.  I expect some risotto-related shenanigans afoot in the near future.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Achewood Character Blogs -- Week of July 26
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2004, 08:03:15 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
I don't think the Risotto Wars are quite over yet.  I expect some risotto-related shenanigans afoot in the near future.

But it clearly says "Risotto Wars are Ended" Chris wouldn't lie to us like that! Besides, Teodor's now more concerned with getting together with the new lady.

I'm also kind of intrigued how Pat's story would actually show up in the police blotter. Maybe he'll be one of those "lighter side" stories the put on the news right before the show ends.

And I think Lyle may have tapped into a whole new fetish. Kind of like the pork & beans video they keep mentioning in the Joe Schmo 2 commercials.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Achewood Character Blogs -- Week of July 26
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2004, 08:36:01 pm »

I've recently realized that I don't get who Teodor is as a character.  Ray is the guy who thinks he's cool, Beef is the insecure nerd, Pat is the tightass jerk,  Lyle is the derelict, Mr Bear is the pretentious one, Phillippe is the simple one, Chris is the human being and Molly is the girl.  How does Teodor fit in?  The risotto wars just made it clear that I don't get who he is - he comes out of nowhere to start a war over risotto?  Where does this come from?

I think this calls for some CortJstring - where is the subtle literary foreshadowing of this character development?  Aside from the fact that he is the one reading Cook's Illustrated here, so we know he's a cook, I would not have expected all this of him.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Achewood Character Blogs -- Week of July 26
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2004, 08:46:58 pm »

In the beginning of the strip Teodor was the everyman - he was the one that I most closely related to in the strip.

I don't know - I think he's just a casual guy who is into the same kinds of things Onstad is into - drinking, cooking, fuck*ng, etc.

The cats have taken over the strip a bit, but the "alive stuffed animals" are really the heart of Achewood.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Achewood Character Blogs -- Week of July 26
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2004, 08:57:40 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
In the beginning of the strip Teodor was the everyman - he was the one that I most closely related to in the strip.

I don't know - I think he's just a casual guy who is into the same kinds of things Onstad is into - drinking, cooking, fuck*ng, etc.

The cats have taken over the strip a bit, but the "alive stuffed animals" are really the heart of Achewood.

What he said. Except the closely relating part. I'm more of a TeoBeef (Roast Teodor just sounds wrong).
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Achewood Character Blogs -- Week of July 26
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2004, 10:00:31 pm »

Yeah, Teodor is sort of our Everyguy. He's a little imbalanced, but overall he's just sort of mellow -- into cooking and good music, interested in girls but not all that good at getting them, occasionally a little fey... that sort of thing. I like him as an everyman and as an understandable character.
Logged

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
Achewood Character Blogs -- Week of July 26
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2004, 02:49:55 am »

It seems p.a.n.t.s falling down may be a new theme going by the latest posts in the beef and onstad blogs...
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

Mantonio

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 423
    • View Profile
Achewood Character Blogs -- Week of July 26
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2004, 03:21:50 am »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "jough"
In the beginning of the strip Teodor was the everyman - he was the one that I most closely related to in the strip.

I don't know - I think he's just a casual guy who is into the same kinds of things Onstad is into - drinking, cooking, fuck*ng, etc.

The cats have taken over the strip a bit, but the "alive stuffed animals" are really the heart of Achewood.

What he said. Except the closely relating part. I'm more of a TeoBeef (Roast Teodor just sounds wrong).


I think I'm mostly a Roast Beef kind of guy, with a dash of Mr. Bear and Pat mixed in.
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Achewood Character Blogs -- Week of July 26
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2004, 04:30:42 am »

I gotta say..."real estate hair" is amazing.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Achewood Character Blogs -- Week of July 26
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2004, 10:14:52 am »

At first I thought the ##### falling down was just bizarre but when I got to the fourth blog where someone's ##### fell down I laughed out loud.

Thank you all for the literary analysis above, now I see that I didn't see what was distinctive about Teodor because he wasn't very distinctive.  But I suppose now the risotto episode shows that he has hidden depths and we had better watch out.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

beetle

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12
    • View Profile
hunger
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2004, 11:00:14 am »

These blogs get harder and harder to read for a body trying to stick to a diet and not eat a lot of lamb and risotto.  I may have to cut out Chris and Teo altogether.

For some reason, Lyle's appearance/writing style/bizarre skillset gives me the impression that he was once in the Navy.  Was that actually in the strip at some point?
Logged

Mantonio

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 423
    • View Profile
Re: hunger
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2004, 02:04:04 pm »

Quote from: "beetle"
These blogs get harder and harder to read for a body trying to stick to a diet and not eat a lot of lamb and risotto.  I may have to cut out Chris and Teo altogether.

For some reason, Lyle's appearance/writing style/bizarre skillset gives me the impression that he was once in the Navy.  Was that actually in the strip at some point?


According to this interview: ( http://www.waterpockets.com/achewood.html ) Lyle is a former longshoreman.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: hunger
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2004, 02:38:51 pm »

Quote from: "Mantonio"
Quote from: "beetle"
These blogs get harder and harder to read for a body trying to stick to a diet and not eat a lot of lamb and risotto.  I may have to cut out Chris and Teo altogether.

For some reason, Lyle's appearance/writing style/bizarre skillset gives me the impression that he was once in the Navy.  Was that actually in the strip at some point?


According to this interview: ( http://www.waterpockets.com/achewood.html ) Lyle is a former longshoreman.


I like this interview because Onstad gives props to Peanuts.  Peanuts is great.  If you haven't read Peanuts from the 50's and 60's you're really missing something.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Achewood Character Blogs -- Week of July 26
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2004, 04:21:49 pm »

It's time for the All Achewood Edition of ##### Or No #####! And here's your host Mr. Laupin!
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up