Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Barack Obama...  (Read 13676 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Barack Obama...
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2004, 02:24:18 pm »

I'm so glad we don't have a two party system here in Canada.  It's so nice to vote for a party that never, ever wins.  "Go ahead, throw your vote away!"
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Barack Obama...
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2004, 06:06:38 pm »

Quote from: "side_show"
"Go ahead, throw your vote away!"


Among my favourite Simpsons moments, and definitely another thing I dig about Canada.  I did a lot of volunteer work for the NDP and even though my riding went overwhelmingly to Canada's
most appalling and humiliating MP
, I could still feel vaguely part of something productive.
Logged
goose means greedy

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Barack Obama...
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2004, 08:53:44 pm »

Quote from: "TALKYdude"
*double take* you registered as a Republican in Hawaii? You must feel rather lonely. As I understand it Hawaii is overwhelmingly Democratic, right?


Actually, you don't register a party here in Hawii, all local and primary elections are non-partisan.

The state is overwhelmingly Democratic, but did manage to elect a Republcian Governor for the first time since Statehood in 2002. The overwhelming democraticness is partially due to the fact that Military personnel don't vote here because they don't claim residence here, because of the confiscatory tax structure. There are a lot of other social reasons for the Democratic strength; the high proportion of workers employed by either the City/County or the State (>25 %) and the strength of the labor unions is probably a big part of it.

I think that the "There, there" nationally may be growing. One reason independent voters don't vote independent is because either they can't (there are places that don't allow independent candidates on ballots) or because of a lack of a choice. These are independent voters. There are independents out there who are non-voters for these reasons.

 I remember the election in '80 where John Anderson ran as a minimally viable independent candidate. I think these kinds of candidates have grown in popularity to the point of significantly affecting election outcomes (Perot in '92). Given the growing dissatisfaction with mainstream candidates, the use of the internet which came into its own this this year in terms of MoveOn.org, and the inability of either of the 2 major parties to budge undecided voters thus far, I still think there is a growing opportunity for something to emerge in the middle; possibly something more 'populist', likely appealing to young and possibly also 2nd-3rd generation (established) immigrant populations. I also believe that African Americans in the US generally don't have a political option that they can really buy into and this will probably begin to play itself out in elections for House/Senate seats soon as higher proportions of AA populations vote in elections; this could also begin to fuel either very significant change in one of the major parties in terms of platform or the emergence of a viable third party.

The two major parties have begun to drift toward one another in a lot of the issues they used to fight over. They will have an interesting time differentiating their platforms. This is where a third party could begin to develon an identity and begin to catch the undecideds.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Barack Obama...
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2004, 09:27:11 pm »

Quote from: "andalucia"
Quote from: "side_show"
"Go ahead, throw your vote away!"


Among my favourite Simpsons moments, and definitely another thing I dig about Canada.  I did a lot of volunteer work for the NDP and even though my riding went overwhelmingly to Canada's
most appalling and humiliating MP
, I could still feel vaguely part of something productive.


Good! That's so important - I applaud people who make noise and do everything legally and ethically possible to get a message out in the face of overwhelming odds. Even the barest grassroots campaign out there needs to have someone planting the seeds.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Barack Obama...
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2004, 01:33:27 am »

I would madly support a party that was fiscally conservative and socially liberal.  Why isn't there one of those?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Barack Obama...
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2004, 07:27:33 am »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
I would madly support a party that was fiscally conservative and socially liberal.  Why isn't there one of those?


Do you mean socially liberal like  legalizing drugs, relaxing prohibitions on behavior, allowing same sex marriage, etc. or do you mean socially liberal like expanding entitlement programs?
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Moderator
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Barack Obama...
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2004, 07:57:53 am »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
I would madly support a party that was fiscally conservative and socially liberal.  Why isn't there one of those?


That's sort of the Libertarian platform. Or one of them. The great thing about being a Libertarian is every Libertarian invents the Libertarian platform on their own, but I think fiscally conservative and socially liberal sums a fair amount of the Libertarians up.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Barack Obama...
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2004, 08:00:36 am »

Wouldn't have described me when I was one. I was all about you NOT spending my money on other people. It was about you letting me KEEP my money and letting me do more of what I want. Which did not include subsidizing crackwhores and their imisbegotten spawn.

I'm not one now.
Logged

TALKYdude

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 166
    • View Profile
Barack Obama...
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2004, 08:54:46 am »

I used to be a libertarian until I realized I couldn't stand other libertarians and didn't want to waste my vote any more. I think the libertarian reply to 9/11 (it's our fault! Let's become more isolationist and they'll leave us alone!) finally turned me off the party forever. At least Republicans and Democrats are willing to support a muscular foreign policy. We get about as many wars under Democrats as we do under Republicans, and we would have ended up invading Afghanistan and Iraq no matter who was President. I realized I couldn't deal with this complete denial of America's role in the world, that mainstream libertarians were saying we need to withdraw in on ourselves and try not to be noticed.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Barack Obama...
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2004, 01:04:18 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
I would madly support a party that was fiscally conservative and socially liberal.  Why isn't there one of those?


Do you mean socially liberal like  legalizing drugs, relaxing prohibitions on behavior, allowing same sex marriage, etc. or do you mean socially liberal like expanding entitlement programs?


The former.  Expanding entitlement programs wouldn't be fiscally conservative.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Gunn

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 9
    • View Profile
    • http://www.notasource.com
Barack Obama...
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2004, 05:21:57 pm »

Ventura 2008! wooooo!  He'll piledrive, like . . . the economy, 'n stuff!

Gunn

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 9
    • View Profile
    • http://www.notasource.com
Barack Obama...
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2004, 05:23:09 pm »

Ralph Nader rocks too, cause he looks just like Peter Falk

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Barack Obama...
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2004, 06:44:01 pm »

Quote from: "Gunn"
Ventura 2008! wooooo!  He'll piledrive, like . . . the economy, 'n stuff!

Mick Foley just said the other day he'd consider a run for congress. I believe it was on Air America.
Logged

TALKYdude

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 166
    • View Profile
Barack Obama...
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2004, 06:56:42 pm »

Minnesotans became really disillusioned with Jesse after living through his governorship. I don't know if he really has a lot of political future after that. Disclaimer: I have no idea what I'm talking about.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Barack Obama...
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2004, 07:17:12 pm »

I am not a big Green booster (I am becoming disillusioned after hearing constantly that I am a Democrat because I've been brainwashed by Big Politics, not because, you know, I actually share their policies) but I will say that Ralph Nader can pull off the tough-guy act ridiculously well. When we put together the spring issue of the college humor magazine, we found and used the best "go ahead, make my day" Nader shot ever. It looked like he was reacting to the chief telling him to TURN IN HIS BADGE, COWBOY, YOU'RE OFF THE CASE.

(Which I guess the Green Party kind of did, but...)
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up