Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Have some dignity.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: I ate a hamburger and said Hooray - August 4th, 2004  (Read 3683 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Formica

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 205
    • View Profile
I ate a hamburger and said Hooray - August 4th, 2004
« on: August 04, 2004, 10:04:26 pm »

Ah, Phillippe. Even when confronted with the ugly truth of Springsteen's seminal work, you merely put your own special spin on it.

Carry on.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
I ate a hamburger and said Hooray - August 4th, 2004
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2004, 11:34:37 pm »

Holy crap Philippe has his hand over his heart while listening to the Beef read.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
I ate a hamburger and said Hooray - August 4th, 2004
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2004, 11:38:56 pm »

Why is Philippe wearing a football helmet?

Is this the new uniform of Philippe Otter, Agent of H.U.G.S.?
Logged

Mantonio

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 423
    • View Profile
I ate a hamburger and said Hooray - August 4th, 2004
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2004, 12:44:21 am »

Philippe is the next Ronald Reagan.  Awsome.
Logged

sailor

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 301
    • View Profile
I ate a hamburger and said Hooray - August 4th, 2004
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2004, 07:29:29 am »

It seems that Philippe and G.W. share the same political outlook for the US.
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?

arlucasinc

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 132
    • View Profile
    • http://arlucasinc.livejournal.com
I ate a hamburger and said Hooray - August 4th, 2004
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2004, 01:47:24 pm »

Can I just tell you how much I hate 4th of July fireworks set to music. Let's see... You get Born in the USA. That's a protest song. You get Keep On Rockin' in the Free World. That's a protest song. And of course, you get Proud to be an American, and I'm sorry, but if I never heard that song again, everything would be perfectly okay.

I guess most folks are just like Philippe. They hear USA and think it's patriotic. Whatever.

I do love Keep on Rockin' in the Free World. I just think it's idiotic to play it during these types of things, or maybe what I really think is that all people are idiots. Yes, that's it.
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
I ate a hamburger and said Hooray - August 4th, 2004
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2004, 03:15:22 pm »

Quote from: "arlucasinc"
Can I just tell you how much I hate 4th of July fireworks set to music. Let's see... You get Born in the USA. That's a protest song. You get Keep On Rockin' in the Free World. That's a protest song.


Add "Fortunate Son" to this little genre... I saw it a while ago in a patriotic ad for #####.
Logged
goose means greedy

arlucasinc

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 132
    • View Profile
    • http://arlucasinc.livejournal.com
I ate a hamburger and said Hooray - August 4th, 2004
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2004, 05:04:17 pm »

Quote from: "andalucia"
Quote from: "arlucasinc"
Can I just tell you how much I hate 4th of July fireworks set to music. Let's see... You get Born in the USA. That's a protest song. You get Keep On Rockin' in the Free World. That's a protest song.


Add "Fortunate Son" to this little genre... I saw it a while ago in a patriotic ad for ******.


Yeah, I was gonna say that one, too, but I don't think I've ever heard it specifically at a fireworks display. They'll pull out anything that says something about "red white and blue." It kills me that CCR would even agree to allow them to use it. I guess it's all about the Benjamins.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
I ate a hamburger and said Hooray - August 4th, 2004
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2004, 05:30:23 pm »

Quote from: "arlucasinc"
Quote from: "andalucia"
Quote from: "arlucasinc"
Can I just tell you how much I hate 4th of July fireworks set to music. Let's see... You get Born in the USA. That's a protest song. You get Keep On Rockin' in the Free World. That's a protest song.


Add "Fortunate Son" to this little genre... I saw it a while ago in a patriotic ad for ******.


Yeah, I was gonna say that one, too, but I don't think I've ever heard it specifically at a fireworks display. They'll pull out anything that says something about "red white and blue." It kills me that CCR would even agree to allow them to use it. I guess it's all about the Benjamins.


I like to think that Fogerty et al view it as an "in-joke" type situation -- i.e. "Ha Ha, you're paying me huge sums of money to use a song that's making fun of you."
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
I ate a hamburger and said Hooray - August 4th, 2004
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2004, 06:48:31 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "arlucasinc"
Quote from: "andalucia"
Quote from: "arlucasinc"
Can I just tell you how much I hate 4th of July fireworks set to music. Let's see... You get Born in the USA. That's a protest song. You get Keep On Rockin' in the Free World. That's a protest song.


Add "Fortunate Son" to this little genre... I saw it a while ago in a patriotic ad for ******.


Yeah, I was gonna say that one, too, but I don't think I've ever heard it specifically at a fireworks display. They'll pull out anything that says something about "red white and blue." It kills me that CCR would even agree to allow them to use it. I guess it's all about the Benjamins.


I like to think that Fogerty et al view it as an "in-joke" type situation -- i.e. "Ha Ha, you're paying me huge sums of money to use a song that's making fun of you."


Also, one really good way to dilute the message of a protest song is to make it mainstream by adopting it. History is written by the winners.
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
I ate a hamburger and said Hooray - August 4th, 2004
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2004, 12:12:35 am »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Also, one really good way to dilute the message of a protest song is to make it mainstream by adopting it. History is written by the winners.


This reminded me somehow of another example of this phenomenon: "This Land is Your Land", the closing verses of which are usually omitted when it's performed by people who aren't Arlo Guthrie.  (Also, it was a very very long time before I learned who the song was by and that the Canadian lyrics weren't the real ones.  Sigh.)
Logged
goose means greedy

Flenker

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 68
    • View Profile
    • http://www.picdump.org/gallery/chris
I ate a hamburger and said Hooray - August 4th, 2004
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2004, 12:27:45 am »

at a fireworks display I went to this summer, they played Jimmy Eat World's "Bleed American".....
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
I ate a hamburger and said Hooray - August 4th, 2004
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2004, 02:01:57 am »

Quote from: "andalucia"
the Canadian lyrics weren't the real ones.  Sigh.)


What are the Canadian lyrics?

Let's see - "From Manitoba...", that scans beautifully.  But now I'm stuck.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
I ate a hamburger and said Hooray - August 4th, 2004
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2004, 02:09:44 am »

Quote from: "Flenker"
at a fireworks display I went to this summer, they played Jimmy Eat World's "Bleed American".....

I find it interesting that they renamed the album from Bleed American to self titled but left the song alone and continued to use it as a single.
Logged

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
I ate a hamburger and said Hooray - August 4th, 2004
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2004, 03:21:08 am »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Also, one really good way to dilute the message of a protest song is to make it mainstream by adopting it. History is written by the winners.


Or by presenting it thusly:

Some folks are born made to wave the flag
Oooh that red white and blue

AND YOUR SOUTHEAST TEXAS CHEVY DEALERS ARE WAVING RED WHITE AND BLUE-SIZED SAVINGS RIGHT IN YOUR FAT DUMB FACE ALL WEEKEND LONG
Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up