Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
That you can post photos to the TOUAMB Flickr Pool?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: The Worst Fifteen Songs  (Read 17375 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
The Worst Fifteen Songs
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2004, 02:44:59 pm »

Quote from: "Limmo"
Kurt Cobain admitted in interviews that he was kind of going through the motions, songwriting-wise, on In Utero.  And "Milk It" proves he's right, as do "Tourette's" and "Scentless Apprentice."  But the latter two don't bug me quite as much.


Fair enough.  I also quite like Scentless Apprentice though.

I tried to come up with a list, but can't really do it.  A list of 15 favorite songs on albums I otherwise dislike would be easier.  I guess if I really like a band and an album, I'm willing to forgive a mediocre or bad song here and there, so it's hard for me to gather a list of songs that ruin albums for me.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
The Worst Fifteen Songs
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2004, 02:51:56 pm »

Quote from: "andalucia"
Man that is neat looking.  As for my name, I was listening to the John Cale song of the same name as I registered, but I do very much appreciate both the Pixies song and the Dali/Bunuel film it references.


I'd always assumsed Debaser as the insipiration for your name.  My mistake.  It is a great song, and a cool film.

Also a nice Cale song.  I think my favorite John Cale song is Dying on the Vine.  He's really great.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
The Worst Fifteen Songs
« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2004, 02:54:49 pm »

Quote from: "linnea"
Cowbell never sucks.


This is so true.  Cowbell, like handclapping, always enhances a song.  And sometimes all a song needs is some good percussion to make it kick ass.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
The Worst Fifteen Songs
« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2004, 02:55:49 pm »

Quote from: "miles"
Quote from: "Limmo"
Kurt Cobain admitted in interviews that he was kind of going through the motions, songwriting-wise, on In Utero.  And "Milk It" proves he's right, as do "Tourette's" and "Scentless Apprentice."  But the latter two don't bug me quite as much.


Fair enough.  I also quite like Scentless Apprentice though.

I tried to come up with a list, but can't really do it.  A list of 15 favorite songs on albums I otherwise dislike would be easier.  I guess if I really like a band and an album, I'm willing to forgive a mediocre or bad song here and there, so it's hard for me to gather a list of songs that ruin albums for me.


Cobain wrote Scentless Apprentice in referrence to the central character in "Perfume" by Patrick Suskind, which is a relativly enjoyable book.   The song itself, isn't a favorite, but I always thought the context was interesting.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
The Worst Fifteen Songs
« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2004, 03:17:16 pm »

Quote from: "side_show"
Cobain wrote Scentless Apprentice in referrence to the central character in "Perfume" by Patrick Suskind, which is a relativly enjoyable book.   The song itself, isn't a favorite, but I always thought the context was interesting.


Yeah, one of those songs that show how culturally literate your favorite rock stars actually are.  Like Killing an Arab by the Cure and Debaser by the Pixies.

Or maybe it's just pretentiousness.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
The Worst Fifteen Songs
« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2004, 05:10:03 pm »

Quote from: "miles"
Quote from: "linnea"
Cowbell never sucks.


This is so true.  Cowbell, like handclapping, always enhances a song.  And sometimes all a song needs is some good percussion to make it kick ass.


<geek-style: music;>

It's like someone I met a while back at a particularly dull and frustrating party, who hated Jane Says, purely because of the steel drums. They make it what it is!

Regarding Scentless Apprentice... I really like. Similarly Milk It I really like too. I liked Nirvana when they were at that level of... dischord. It's made by Grohl's drumming, and the fact that while it is relatively tuneless, you can find melody in there.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
The Worst Fifteen Songs
« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2004, 08:20:41 pm »

Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "miles"
Quote from: "linnea"
Cowbell never sucks.


This is so true.  Cowbell, like handclapping, always enhances a song.  And sometimes all a song needs is some good percussion to make it kick ass.


<geek-style: music;>

It's like someone I met a while back at a particularly dull and frustrating party, who hated Jane Says, purely because of the steel drums. They make it what it is!

Regarding Scentless Apprentice... I really like. Similarly Milk It I really like too. I liked Nirvana when they were at that level of... dischord. It's made by Grohl's drumming, and the fact that while it is relatively tuneless, you can find melody in there.


I have to agree that, in comparison with the rest of the catalog, lay lady lay is just plain bad. The cowbell is RELENTLESS. And thanks to this thread, I heard this song the other day and the damn cowbell drowned out the uncharacteristically smooth and understandable Dylan as well as the slidy chord changes. It was like being on the roof of Canterbury Cathedral at noon. A tolerable song is now a horror for me..
Logged

TALKYdude

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 166
    • View Profile
The Worst Fifteen Songs
« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2004, 09:05:07 pm »

Wow. Someone played me some Momus songs yesterday. You know what the worst 15 songs are? Any fifteen songs by that guy. Of all the self-centered inane crud...
Quote from: "Momus"
What is the cultural meaning
Of coming in a girl's mouth
Would I like to feed her
Or fill her up with filth
Er, does it have to have a cultural meaning, you too-precious twit? Later he says something funny about painting a milk moustache across her face. But it's still stupid. And this lyric is just beyond parody
Quote from: "Momus"
Journeeeeey...
to the center of meeeee
Is there something I'm not getting about Momus or is he really this ridiculous? I'm soooo excited to journey to the center of Momus.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
The Worst Fifteen Songs
« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2004, 10:33:31 pm »

MERCIFUL JESUS, WHAT THE SHIT IS THAT

"What is the cultural meaning of coming in a girl's mouth?!"

I would like now to issue a blanket apology to R.E.M. for previous criticism of the lyrics to "Tongue." While I still believe that you could have and have done much better than "ugly girls know their fate / everybody can get laid," that lyric cannot even begin to touch the badness of "what is the cultural meaning of coming in a girl's mouth." I'm sorry, R.E.M. I'm so, so sorry.
Logged

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
The Worst Fifteen Songs
« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2004, 10:34:22 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
A tolerable song is now a horror for me.


Well, shit, now I wrecked a song for you.  Jim feel bad now.
Logged

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
The Worst Fifteen Songs
« Reply #55 on: August 26, 2004, 01:38:39 pm »

Quote from: "arkabee"
I'll be slowly adding to my list of songs i HATE by bands i LOVE:

1. Luna- "Bonny and Clyde".  I think it's on Penthouse.  It's the one about Bonny and Clyde with the French(?) lady Singing(?).  maybe it's an OK song, if i were to be able to get over the sheer pomposity of it, except that it just does not fit on the album.  the album is not experimental.  why put this song on the album? why? whywhywhywhywhy? Dean, you would have made this type of song in G500 with the crazy art-school lady, but you guys broke up that band? remember? OF COURSE YOU REMEMBER because otherwise you wouldn't have been able to make this crappy song.
Sadly, it makes me ALWAYS pick this album LAST when i'm looking for a bit of Luna.


2. Soundgarden- "Full on Kevin's Mom" from Louder than Love.
I hate this song.  my name is Kevin.  i listened to this tape a lot.  this song sucks.  i love soundgarden.  why did you make this song, guys?
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
The Worst Fifteen Songs
« Reply #56 on: August 26, 2004, 02:18:03 pm »

Quote from: "arkabee"
2. Soundgarden- "Full on Kevin's Mom" from Louder than Love.
I hate this song.  my name is Kevin.  i listened to this tape a lot.  this song sucks.  i love soundgarden.  why did you make this song, guys?


They're probably not talking about your mom.  Probably.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
The Worst Fifteen Songs
« Reply #57 on: August 26, 2004, 03:11:58 pm »

Quote from: "Va"
Quote from: "arkabee"
2. Soundgarden- "Full on Kevin's Mom" from Louder than Love.
I hate this song.  my name is Kevin.  i listened to this tape a lot.  this song sucks.  i love soundgarden.  why did you make this song, guys?


They're probably not talking about your mom.  Probably.


No, that's the weird thing. They are talking about his mom.  She used to par-tay with the band, groupie style.

Man, Kev, I was just thinking about your mom the other day.  Good times, good times...

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
The Worst Fifteen Songs
« Reply #58 on: August 26, 2004, 03:32:20 pm »

Quote from: "jough"

Man, Kev, I was just thinking about your mom the other day.  Good times, good times...


if you see her again,
tell her i'd like to meet her.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Bump
« Reply #59 on: October 29, 2004, 12:19:58 am »

I'm not going to post a list to this (though I really want to) because that's the punishment for being away so long. I just wanted to say that threads like this are why this message board is so enjoyable. Also I wanted to say that even if it sounds mawkish and sentimental, I missed you people. This was good reading.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up