Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood It's National Johnny Cash Raise Hell Awareness Saturday Night. Go out and Fuck Shit Up in a Way That You Believe In!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: David Foster Wallace  (Read 5870 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
David Foster Wallace
« on: August 06, 2004, 01:21:35 am »

So, after a lot of hearing about him and realizing that he sounds as though he's my kind of fella, which is to say mind-bogglingly pretentious, I'd like to read one of his books... any ideas on what to start with?
Logged
goose means greedy

sailor

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 301
    • View Profile
David Foster Wallace
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2004, 07:48:08 am »

That totally depends...
If you've got the time, just say fuck it and haul around Infinite Jest for the rest of the summer. I'll repost here what i posted to the K records board about new readers of DFW's IJ:

 NOTE TO NEW READERS OF INFINITE JEST:
 
1. Bring a dictionary. And not that little one you have. A real big ass OED-type fucker. There are plenty of words in this book that neither you nor your little dictionary have any clue about.
 
2. An French to English translator is also handy.
 
3. What was the last math class you took?  
 
4. Take a day and sit back with the current Physicians Desk Reference.
 
5. And take a few years of tennis lessons.

Good luck. I hope you like footnotes.
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
David Foster Wallace
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2004, 02:30:06 pm »

Many thanks sailor.  I think I am ready to spend a long time toting around Infinite Jest.  I like reading small books, sure, but I always like to also be working on a Tome.  So after Finnegans Wake it'll be either Infinite Jest or Gravity's Rainbow.  Thanks as well for your advice, which encouraged rather than dissuaded me.  I've got my precious gigantico two-volumes-and-magnifying-glass-in-little-drawer OED filled with pressed flowers from when my sister and I were kids, a certificate of French-English bilingualism, and a Derrida-honed love for, or at least acceptance of footnotes.  There is, however, a large, strange gap in my mathematical knowledge between Grade 11 Functions and Relations and my casual readings on chaos theory and quantum mechanics.  The tennis point was the most frightening one.  I'll see about that.

But I shall definitely pick up Infinite Jest when I return to the civilized world.
Logged
goose means greedy

PinkStainlessTail

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 269
    • View Profile
    • http://horsmanistan.blogspot.com/
David Foster Wallace
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2004, 03:11:15 pm »

Quote from: "andalucia"
Many thanks sailor.  I think I am ready to spend a long time toting around Infinite Jest.  I like reading small books, sure, but I always like to also be working on a Tome.  So after Finnegans Wake it'll be either Infinite Jest or Gravity's Rainbow.


Both are good, but if you have to choose, I'd say Gravity's Rainbow takes precedence over Infinite Jest. Just my opinion.
Logged
"Plush. Rabid. Festering. Pulchritude. Eschew!"

"That may be the worst cheer ever."
-The University of Universal Understanding, S. Aldred

V-Adore

  • Guest
David Foster Wallace
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2004, 05:03:00 pm »

And here I was getting really excited about maybe inaugurating the school season with breaking open my old copy of Pale Fire. And maybe getting around to actually reading the Gormenghast trilogy, now that I finally have all three books in the same place.
Logged

sailor

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 301
    • View Profile
David Foster Wallace
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2004, 06:23:59 pm »

Quote from: "andalucia"
Many thanks sailor.  I think I am ready to spend a long time toting around Infinite Jest.  I like reading small books, sure, but I always like to also be working on a Tome.  So after Finnegans Wake it'll be either Infinite Jest or Gravity's Rainbow.  Thanks as well for your advice, which encouraged rather than dissuaded me.  I've got my precious gigantico two-volumes-and-magnifying-glass-in-little-drawer OED filled with pressed flowers from when my sister and I were kids, a certificate of French-English bilingualism, and a Derrida-honed love for, or at least acceptance of footnotes.  There is, however, a large, strange gap in my mathematical knowledge between Grade 11 Functions and Relations and my casual readings on chaos theory and quantum mechanics.  The tennis point was the most frightening one.  I'll see about that.

But I shall definitely pick up Infinite Jest when I return to the civilized world.


You sound well prepared, grasshopper. Open your heart a bit wider to footnotes, and accept, with love, small type face. The tennis knowledge is more important than the math, but you'll pick it up. I didn't know jack about any of that stuff, save for the drugs, and i think i got at least half the jokes. Enjoy.
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
David Foster Wallace
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2004, 06:45:17 pm »

Well, I guess read it, but Infinite Jest was what all the faux literary drips were reading a few years ago.

I found it HIGHLY overrated, but then again, whatever.  It sure beats Grisham.

However, if you've not yet read Pynchon, then by all means Gravity's Rainbow is a necessity if you're to consider yourself "well read."

And you may want to read Miller's "Tropic of Cancer" before reading Infinite Jest.

sjlimmer

  • Illegal Ghost Bikes
  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 317
  • Insert witty remark here...
    • View Profile
David Foster Wallace
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2004, 02:57:00 am »

Quote from: "jough"

However, if you've not yet read Pynchon, then by all means Gravity's Rainbow is a necessity if you're to consider yourself "well read."


I have tried to read this, really I have.  Three separate assaults on this damn novel, and I have yet to get anywhere of significance.  It annoys me greatly, as I've enjoyed all the other Pynchon I've read (pretty much everything else).  I know that TV has rotted my brain, and I don't read as much as I used to, but damn.

Always something to remind me just how narrow my mind really is...
Logged
"That's because you're a mean drunk, and nobody loves you."

sailor

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 301
    • View Profile
David Foster Wallace
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2004, 09:52:13 am »

Quote from: "jough"
Well, I guess read it, but Infinite Jest was what all the faux literary drips were reading a few years ago.

I found it HIGHLY overrated, but then again, whatever.  It sure beats Grisham.

However, if you've not yet read Pynchon, then by all means Gravity's Rainbow is a necessity if you're to consider yourself "well read."

And you may want to read Miller's "Tropic of Cancer" before reading Infinite Jest.


"faux lit drip" is the new sanitaco porn; it's a necessity.
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
David Foster Wallace
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2004, 09:48:14 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
Well, I guess read it, but Infinite Jest was what all the faux literary drips were reading a few years ago.

I found it HIGHLY overrated, but then again, whatever.  It sure beats Grisham.

However, if you've not yet read Pynchon, then by all means Gravity's Rainbow is a necessity if you're to consider yourself "well read."

And you may want to read Miller's "Tropic of Cancer" before reading Infinite Jest.


Yeah, but a few years ago I was 13.  I've read some Pynchon already, but after two tries to read "Tropic of Cancer" including, actually, about two weeks ago, I think I just can't do it.  I got to page 3, I believe, before the line "I am fuck*ng you so you'll stay fucked" appeared and I was overwhelmed by the realization that one could extrapolate an entire Women's Studies dissertation out of those few words.  I really really want to like Henry Miller, but he's proved himself to be one of the few authors who's just too offensive for me.
Logged
goose means greedy

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
David Foster Wallace
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2004, 02:54:37 pm »

Infinite Jest: Terrific fun. Bring two bookmarks. Having to do that old Choose Your Own Adventure two-finger placeholding-fu on a book this size will make you irritable and look fuck*ng ridiculous, besides. Oh, and also? If you want a taste of Wallace before you wade into this one, A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again (especially the title essay) makes for a nice little mixtape.

Gravity's Rainbow: My favorite book, ever, ever. We even share a damn birthday. (Several paragraphs of gushing non-sequential praise omitted here.) You don't need an encyclopedic knowledge of Everything to read and enjoy this book, seriously. What is in the book will leave you, no matter what you're carrying around in your head, feeling like it was written Just For You.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
David Foster Wallace
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2004, 04:06:32 pm »

When I was in college a friend of mine thought of Gravity's Rainbow as though it were a frikkin' religious experience.  At the time I had not read it, and kept putting it off, since I didn't *have* to read it for a class, and of course just to torture my friend who wanted to talk about it with me - like, all the damn time.

So he started leaving copies for me on the sly - he tried giving me a copy and I gave it back to him - so he'd sneak a copy into my apt., or leave one where he knew I'd be, like in the English Club office (I was pres. and he was also a member, so I had "office hours" where I'd man the office).

Eventually copys would materialise in rooms where I had classes, one left casually at my usual lunch table in the caf, and sometimes on my doorstep outside my apt.

I started collecting them, and ended up with about 15 copies, which I sold to the used bookstore across from campus.

My friend, of course, denies to this day ever leaving copies anywhere for me, even the ones inside my apt. when he was the only one who could have put a copy there that day.

In any case, I finally broke down and read it the summer after college, while I was first building Plagiarist.com 1.0.

It still doesn't replace Ulysses as being the end of books, but it was good.  


Confidential to Andalucia: You wouldn't have found that line offensive if you've ever been fucked so good you stayed fucked.  I'm just saying.

P.S. If you found "Tropic of Cancer" overly offensive, you may not want to read Gravity's Rainbow or Ulysses either.  Or Naked Lunch.  Or Frisk.  Or White Noise. Or the Great Gatsby.

It just seems that all of the greatest novels of the past 100 years or so are offensive in some way, at least if you're easily offended.

Heck, if you find ToC offensive I would certainly NOT recommend you read Achewood.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
David Foster Wallace
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2004, 07:15:00 pm »

I dunno, that jump from Tropic of Cancer to The Great Gatsby is a looong one.  Then again, I generally find Miller to be a self-absorbed woman-hating bore.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
David Foster Wallace
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2004, 08:14:59 pm »

Speaking as someone who has a tendency to occasionally get all Women's Studies wannabe on bad misogynistic literate (don't even goddamn get me started on Hotel New Hampshire, because we'll be here all night), I didn't find The Great Gatsby offensive in that vein at all. It has behavior and character motivations that could be cheap and unfortunate in other authors' hands, but Fitzgerald makes it hum with sympathy and humanity.

(I kind of dig Gatsby.  A lot.)
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
David Foster Wallace
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2004, 09:27:06 pm »

President of the English Club?  You had an English club?  That's a new one on me.

What did you do at meetings?  Speak to each other -- in English?  Make billiard balls go in a slightly different direction?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up