Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Alright, America. I'm playing the underpants and pants game. If just for one more day.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 9 August -- Achewood CC Course Bulletin  (Read 2566 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

V-Adore

  • Guest
9 August -- Achewood CC Course Bulletin
« on: August 08, 2004, 08:08:25 pm »

(Subject line left general because I honestly couldn't decide which to choose. It was almost "Defenestration -- The Truth.")

Hehehehe. Okay, this is a pretty funny one-off -- maybe a more funny series beginner, if Beef actually goes through with it. There's certainly a lot of potential here, and I did laugh.

I'm not sure whether the misuse of "defenestration" for "decapitation" is diagetic or not, though.
Logged

Flenker

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 68
    • View Profile
    • http://www.picdump.org/gallery/chris
9 August -- Achewood CC Course Bulletin
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2004, 08:17:33 pm »

this strip also got a chuckle from me.  And if I had to choose a title for the thread, I probably would have gone with the Defenstration -- The Truth.  But, I think you made the right choice.  Well done V-Adore, well done
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Re: 9 August -- Achewood CC Course Bulletin
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2004, 08:54:58 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
I'm not sure whether the misuse of "defenestration" for "decapitation" is diagetic or not, though.


I sorely hope so.  This is a fairly good strip though, though my title for the thread would have been "Hats OK"
Logged
goose means greedy

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Re: 9 August -- Achewood CC Course Bulletin
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2004, 10:07:33 pm »

Quote from: "andalucia"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I'm not sure whether the misuse of "defenestration" for "decapitation" is diagetic or not, though.


I sorely hope so.  This is a fairly good strip though, though my title for the thread would have been "Hats OK"


Dictionary.com does not know what "diagetic" means, and I obviousy do not either.

I assumed that it was referring to the fact that, if you get thrown through a window, oftentimes...

okay, Onstad changed it, thus saving me the embarrasement of making a Ghost reference.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
9 August -- Achewood CC Course Bulletin
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2004, 10:34:10 pm »

Shouldn't it be "hats required"? I mean who robs a train without a cowboy hat  and bandana? Honestly.
Logged

sailor

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 301
    • View Profile
9 August -- Achewood CC Course Bulletin
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2004, 10:44:17 pm »

I attended no less than 4 CCs in my "drifter" days, and i have seen class listings even worse than this. Now i attend Evergreen State College, hippie mecca of the west. I hate hippies. Here is a sample class:


Rhythmic Meditations

Special Expenses: $25 each quarter for art supplies; $25 each quarter for yoga workshop; $25 for drumming workshop.
Internship Possibilities: With faculty approval.

This interdisciplinary, yearlong, intentional learning community will explore rhythm in relation to mind, consciousness and creativity. Half our work will take place in experientially based, all-program studio sessions. Individual and small group work including seminar and student-originated research projects will comprise the other half of each student's credits.
This program will explore and is committed to alternative pedagogues including person-centered learning, open space technology, emotional and spiritual literacies, transformative education and somatic studies. Students will select an appropriate faculty and research focus each quarter.
Mukti Khanna studies transpersonal psychology, expressive arts therapy and image theater. She is interested in the relationship between personal transformation and social change.
Terry Setter studies music and its tribal, contemporary and historical practice. He is interested in studying rhythm, particularly drumming, in relation to human behavior.
Sarah Williams studies feminist theory, cultural studies and yoga. She is interested in exploring rhythms of the energetic body including vibrations of heart, thought and breath.
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: 9 August -- Achewood CC Course Bulletin
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2004, 12:33:44 am »

Quote from: "Bozack"
Quote from: "andalucia"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I'm not sure whether the misuse of "defenestration" for "decapitation" is diagetic or not, though.


I sorely hope so.  This is a fairly good strip though, though my title for the thread would have been "Hats OK"


Dictionary.com does not know what "diagetic" means, and I obviousy do not either.

I assumed that it was referring to the fact that, if you get thrown through a window, oftentimes...

okay, Onstad changed it, thus saving me the embarrasement of making a Ghost reference.

"Diagetic" is a pretentious film-school-type term for something actually being a part of the universe (i.e. "diagetic music" is background music actually being played by a band or stereo in the movie, while "non-diagetic music" is mysterious background music from nowhere). Basically, what I meant was "was the mistaken use of 'defenestration' a conscious choice on Onstad's part, or did he fuck it up unintentionally?" The fact that a fixed strip went up answers that question, I think.
Logged

Formica

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 205
    • View Profile
Re: 9 August -- Achewood CC Course Bulletin
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2004, 01:00:41 am »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
I'm not sure whether the misuse of "defenestration" for "decapitation" is diagetic or not, though.


Already modified. A pity, really - I would have rather seen 'stad change the blurb to be a course regarding the truth about defenestration.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
9 August -- Achewood CC Course Bulletin
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2004, 04:17:57 am »

Defenestration
A course on how to properly throw someone out of a window.

Man, I'd sign up for that.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
9 August -- Achewood CC Course Bulletin
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2004, 06:11:56 am »

Ahh, yes, diagetic, yessss, well....I HATE DEALING WITH SMARTER PEOPLE!!!
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
9 August -- Achewood CC Course Bulletin
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2004, 02:19:56 pm »

Quote from: "Bozack"
Ahh, yes, diagetic, yessss, well....I HATE DEALING WITH SMARTER PEOPLE!!!


You must be miserable all the time then!

HA HA!  I keed, I keed.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
9 August -- Achewood CC Course Bulletin
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2004, 04:48:09 pm »

Quote from: "sailor"
I attended no less than 4 CCs in my "drifter" days, and i have seen class listings even worse than this. Now i attend Evergreen State College, hippie mecca of the west. I hate hippies. Here is a sample class:


Apparently I went to the wrong/right CC. Aside from some vision quest/excuse to go play in the pacific northwest there was a complete paucity of this BS.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
9 August -- Achewood CC Course Bulletin
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2004, 06:05:57 pm »

For a while last winter I was bartending on a somewhat regular basis.  I really wish that Johnson County Community College offered "How to Slide a Beer Mug All the Way Down the Bar and Make it Stop at the Right Place."

I would totally take that class.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up