Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Young man on the #6 bus, The Doors were not a British band.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: my Alaskan Adventure  (Read 4637 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
my Alaskan Adventure
« on: August 08, 2004, 08:22:09 pm »

I set up an album with all the photos that I took during my week in Alaska for The Interview:
http://Somebody nice.typepad.com/photos/Elbonia







It's beautiful there and they're offering more money than I expected. The town is full of amazingly friendly and awesome folks. It is a great little community. Now I'm just figuring logistics before I sign my acceptance letter.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
my Alaskan Adventure
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2004, 08:37:40 pm »

Hot dang! Those are gorgeous shots and make me very nostalgic for Fairbanks. Elbonia looks perfectly lovely, and I'm glad things went well.

Good luck with moving! You sound like you've got a lovely adventure before you.
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
my Alaskan Adventure
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2004, 08:47:17 pm »

Oh, wow, that's beautiful. Good luck, hon, it looks like you're going to be having a very beautiful time.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
my Alaskan Adventure
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2004, 09:28:18 pm »

I'll try and keep the Northern Exposure jokes to a minimum.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
my Alaskan Adventure
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2004, 10:31:17 pm »

My  God, that's awesome.  Maybe I should be braver about where to apply for jobs.  But could I live without all the Asian restaurants?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
my Alaskan Adventure
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2004, 11:25:37 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
I'll try and keep the Northern Exposure jokes to a minimum.


It's Northern Exposure that keeps reminding me how much I want to move somewhere that beautiful.
And OK the Highlands are capable of bestowing that upon you, but they're cold and wet, or just windy.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
my Alaskan Adventure
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2004, 12:49:15 am »

It is a bit weird to be back in Denver. In Elbonia it was light pretty much the entire time I was there. When I was in Anchorage it got dark around 1AM. Land of the Midnight Sun, indeed.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
my Alaskan Adventure
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2004, 01:58:16 am »

I couldn't do it.

But best of luck and all that.
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
my Alaskan Adventure
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2004, 03:13:51 am »

Holy ... shit!

Movers are going to be here on the 31st. I am glad that I'm taking this moving thing slowly. At any rate, the lovely HR ladies are getting me an airline ticket for Sept. 2nd. I will miss the Labor Day festivities here, but it'll give me a good opportunity to meet people up in Elbonia. Plus I need to get on the payroll ASAP.

It's all happening so fast! I can hardly wait.

Oh, and I got "the boys" extra-deluxe kennels for their flight. Each of the kennels have a small litter pan bolted to the back, and I got these rad foam cushions that are covered in absorbent fleece. They'll be comfortable for the little guys to sit on for the trip. I'm also planning on putting some towels in there and whatnot. (note: In the photo below, the kennels have my bedpillows in there, to get rid of the horrible store smells. Obviously the little guys will have a lot more room in their kennels than it appears).



I've got it all, hopefully. I got little kits that have food dishes and "LIVE ANIMALS THIS WAY UP" stickers for the kennels. I've got Ziploc bags full of food for the little guys, and I'm going to be taking a 3-week supply of their kibble in my suitcase. I will probably have to order their food online or something. We'll see. Damn.
Logged

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
my Alaskan Adventure
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2004, 09:07:34 pm »

GodDAMN that looks like a beautiful place!

Are your kitties brothers?  They look like twins in that picture.
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
my Alaskan Adventure
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2004, 09:34:13 pm »

Yes! Milan and Lennybruce are brothers. They had another sibling in their litter, but he or she didn't make it. :(

On the bright side, Milan and Lenny are the BESTEST kitties that anyone could ask for. They're Scottish Folds. They have their own page here:

http://home.comcast.net/~linnea78/ml.html

And thank you for the compliments on my apartment. It's brand-new and I ADORE it. I am soooo gonna miss it when I go to Alaska. It's got a huge oval tub that I love. It's going to suck to get used to a normal-sized tub. Hee! I sound like one hell of a drama queen: "Oh the HUMANITY I am going to have to shower in a normal-sized enclosure! "
Logged

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
my Alaskan Adventure
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2004, 10:17:24 pm »

Oh, uh, actually I referring to the photos of Alaska up top, but it does look like a lovely apartment as well.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
my Alaskan Adventure
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2004, 06:50:35 am »

Man, Linnea#####, your apartment looks nice and all, but nice enough for someone to proclaim GOD DAMN WHAT A BEAUTIFUL PLACE!?

I thinkn't.

Good luck with your packing and move.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
my Alaskan Adventure
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2004, 03:26:16 am »

Hee! Mea culpa.

The fuck*ng movers are jerking me around. I'm scrambling to find another quote. Motherfuckers. They quoted me ninety cents a pound, which for my one-bedroom apartment is about $3,500. They're trying to backpedal and say that it should've been $1.50 a pound, which is like two grand more than their initial quote.

I"m trying to read my contract (bleh) to see if I can hold them to their original quote. Anyone with contract law experience? :(
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
my Alaskan Adventure
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2004, 03:44:00 am »

Well, yes, I have lots of contract law experience.  I am not acting as your attorney, you must understand, but I would advise you to seek another quote.  It's not a good idea to get involved in litigation with someone who can hold your stuff hostage (or lose, damage or destroy said stuff.)

Also, if this is how they are acting now, consider yourself timely warned.  Find another mover.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up