Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Would Star Trek have had the same gravitas if Spock had been named Vince?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Hang Over Cures  (Read 7737 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Hang Over Cures
« on: August 16, 2004, 06:21:04 pm »

I am on DAY TWO of a massive hangover.  Yes, I dug my own grave, but I had a blast that made it all well worth it, and managed to destroy my brides maid dress.  

As some of you know, my job is very intense - dealing with Aboriginal Elders.  So I stagger out of my office today, in search of something deep fried, and an elder (who is sitting in his car blasting opera music) is out there, and motions me over.  He grabs my hand kisses it, and says "today we're going to free some prisoners!"  and I go "today?" and he goes "every day.  You'll see.  When we talk, you'll see.  I love you."  I mumble "I love you too" and wander off.  Today is not a day where my brain is working, like, at all.  The guy at the fried chicken place gave me extra sauce 'cause I'm wearing my Gandhi shirt, (India's Independance day was yesterday, but yesterday entailed more wedding partying, so I had to dress up and not wear a T-shirt no matter who's on the front) but then he got all excited and started asking me all sorts of questions my brain couldn't work around, mostly I was like "Yes, he was a good man.  Yes."

People have, of course been sharing their hang over cures, now and in the past.  And most of them are, I'm pretty sure, just mean jokes to make my stomach turn, but I'm really interested in these cures.  Especially traditional ones, like rendering the fat off a skunk, which according to traditional Metis medicine, is like, the cure for everything, or so it seems.  I know water and sleep are what I really need, but what other cures have y'all heard of, what cures have you *gulp* tried?

edit: oh god, my head
edit: oh my belly
edit: oooh noo.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Hang Over Cures
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2004, 07:10:13 pm »

Assload is an English measurement.  It's the amount of Roombas that would fit into King Henry's ass.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Hang Over Cures
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2004, 07:10:41 pm »

Pho, aka Vietnamese beef noodle soup.  Big steamin' bowl of that, add some hot sauce, you'll feel better.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Hang Over Cures
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2004, 07:11:02 pm »

Tomato juice probably can't hurt.

Unless you have a tomato allergy, in which case it would probably actually hurt quite a bit.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Hang Over Cures
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2004, 07:21:52 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
Assload is an English measurement.  It's the amount of Roombas that would fit into King Henry's ass.


okay, I may be out of it, but doesn't this post belong in the thread for todays comic?  This is the second post that I've caught out of place today...what's going on, are you people trying to mess with me?

Edit: andalucia, would you also like to share my hangover?  Cause I've got dizzy to spare.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Hang Over Cures
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2004, 07:21:52 pm »

Wrong thread, Jough.

As for hangovers, I usually go with lots of orange juice and comic books in bed.

Edit:  Whoa, simultaneous callout.
Logged
goose means greedy

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Hang Over Cures
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2004, 07:43:01 pm »

I actually rarely get hungover, but the first time I got drunk, my boss got me to drink what seemed like gallons of water, and that has been a habit I've continued until this day. So, basically, what you already knew.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Hang Over Cures
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2004, 08:59:09 pm »

D'oh.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Hang Over Cures
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2004, 09:15:39 pm »

Flat Irn Bru.
There's nothing like it anyway, but flat it has so much sugar and caffeine that it gets straight through a hangover. Fizzy, it does nasty things to your nose.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Hang Over Cures
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2004, 09:48:25 pm »

Please not that this beverage's website as linked to by Slink is not, in itself, in any way conducive to recovering from a hangover.




Edit:  1000!
Logged
goose means greedy

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Hang Over Cures
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2004, 12:59:11 am »

Whoever said Pho is right on it. It's also really good for when you think you 'might be coming down with something'. I have staved off colds 4 times this year with Pho.

If you can't get it, Miso soup is also good, and if you're man/woman enough, a big hot bowl of Menudo will work too.
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Hang Over Cures
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2004, 02:46:32 am »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
If you can't get it, Miso soup is also good, and if you're man/woman enough, a big hot bowl of Menudo will work too.




WILL IT EVER!
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Hang Over Cures
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2004, 03:02:26 am »

Dear, sweet baby Jesus. That is one HELL of a hangover.

Alcohol poisoning is the fuck*ng whip.

IV fluids would be good, like Ringer's solution or at the very least, saline.

My ex fiance was in the Army and had combat lifesaver training, but even though he knew how to do an IV he would never give me one. Looking back, I am glad that he never did, because he is obviously a fuckin' knob. An IV would be hell of effective for a hangover, though.

Barring medical intervention, I would recommend a multivitamin. Drinking is hell on your B vitamin levels. Obviously you need to take it easy (how the FUCK did you ingest that much alcohol, anyway?) and focus on rehydration and nutrition:  

1. Multivitamin
2. Water
3. Gatorade or Pedialyte (some kind of electrolyte replacement drink)
4. Yogurt, whatever flavor you like (I like plain, but I'm weird like that)
5. Banana (replacing potassium and other valuable nutrients)
5. Painkiller of choice for your aching skull

The yogurt and banana will soothe your stomach so you can take the multivitamins, while delivering precious nutrients to your ravaged, broken body. Good luck.

You could get all fancy, but those are probably all you need. Get better soon. Damn.
Logged

sailor

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 301
    • View Profile
Hang Over Cures
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2004, 08:05:12 am »

Before bed: Drink a shit ton of Emergen-C, the kind heavy on potassium. Potassium, somehow, is key in preventing hangovers. B-vitamins help a lot, also.
My painkiller of choice is Excedrin, or preferably, a generic with the same ingedients: acetominaphen, aspirin, and caffine. Wonder trio.
And if you are in Canada, get the OTC codeine.
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Hang Over Cures
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2004, 01:54:02 pm »

Quote from: "sailor"
And if you are in Canada, get the OTC codeine.



No WAY.
Reason #48 why I fuck*ng love Canada.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up