Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that nobody but Wombat notices what is in the News Box?

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: 100 must-read Sci-Fi books  (Read 11820 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
100 must-read Sci-Fi books
« on: August 16, 2004, 09:53:38 pm »

Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
100 must-read Sci-Fi books
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2004, 10:11:22 pm »

Most of these seem like pretty safe choices and are pretty inarguable, honestly. I was pleased to see the inclusion of Blood Music (one of my all-time favorites that I don't see discussed a lot) and the Upanishads.

I will confess that I have always found Orson Scott Card hideously overrated and have not yet managed to get through one of his books, but I figure this is a personal fault in myself, the problem with starting with Lost Boys and trying to go from there, or possibly both.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
100 must-read Sci-Fi books
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2004, 10:13:09 pm »

Cat's Cradle is my favorite book so it's nice to see it. Vonnegut's own displeasure with the sci-fi label aside.

And isn't it Alice's Adventures in Wonderland?
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
100 must-read Sci-Fi books
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2004, 10:51:36 pm »

Good stuff:  I don't read much sci-fi but I was pleased to see Cat's Cradle and The Left Hand of Darkness, Frankenstein... less so.
Logged
goose means greedy

V-Adore

  • Guest
100 must-read Sci-Fi books
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2004, 11:27:13 pm »

Quote from: "andalucia"
Good stuff:  I don't read much sci-fi but I was pleased to see Cat's Cradle and The Left Hand of Darkness, Frankenstein... less so.

Well, note that the list also mentions historical value of the works in question. While I think Frankenstein has its problems as a work (it's very much a product of its time in terms of prose, which makes it problematic to read), there's no doubt that it was the progenitor of a lot of modern SF and debuted ideas that are still getting played with today, so I can see a place for it.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
100 must-read Sci-Fi books
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2004, 04:10:03 am »

I've read somewhere between 30 and 60 on that list.  My comments:

Phillip K. Dick is overrepresented and overrated.  Also, no way that Childhood's End should be number 1.  Arthur C. Clarke had some interesting ideas, but he's pretty much a lousy writer.

Hitchhiker's Guide number 85?  Whatever.  In terms of influence it should be in the top ten.  In terms of entertainment value you could argue it's number 1.  A Canticle for Leibowitz, A Clockwork Orange and Flowers for Algernon all in the 60's?  Nnnn-kay.  Piers Anthony is represented but Harry Harrison isn't? Right.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
100 must-read Sci-Fi books
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2004, 04:35:08 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Hitchhiker's Guide number 85?  Whatever.  In terms of influence it should be in the top ten.  In terms of entertainment value you could argue it's number 1.

It's too funny. Comedy is always looked down upon when it comes to awards/best of lists. As if only serious material can have artistic merit.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
100 must-read Sci-Fi books
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2004, 04:48:28 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Hitchhiker's Guide number 85?  Whatever.  In terms of influence it should be in the top ten.  In terms of entertainment value you could argue it's number 1.

It's too funny. Comedy is always looked down upon when it comes to awards/best of lists. As if only serious material can have artistic merit.


True, which is bass-ackwards in my opinion.  Quality funny is 9046 times harder to write than quality melodrama.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
100 must-read Sci-Fi books
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2004, 05:07:20 pm »

And the page is slashdotted!
I would probably disagree with most of them, but then I can't decide.
I know that Diamond Age would come in the top ten for me, and might include Pashazade and maybe Idoru.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

PinkStainlessTail

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 269
    • View Profile
    • http://horsmanistan.blogspot.com/
100 must-read Sci-Fi books
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2004, 09:48:46 pm »

The Space Merchants is by Frederick Pohl and C.M. Kornbluth.

Godamnit. The dead get no respect.

Otherwise, a very interesting list. Great to see Capek's War With the Newts on there (it's still in print BTW, not sure why there's no "buy" link) and not one but two of Olaf Stapledon's. To Your Scattered Bodies Go should definitely be there, but I would have chosen something other than Flesh for the second PJF title (The Other Log of Phileas Fogg maybe, or The Maker of Universes). And for Gene Wolfe I would have just said The Book of the New Sun, not only the first volume.

Oh, I've never read the Upanishads, so I'm curious as to why they're on this list.
Logged
"Plush. Rabid. Festering. Pulchritude. Eschew!"

"That may be the worst cheer ever."
-The University of Universal Understanding, S. Aldred

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
100 must-read Sci-Fi books
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2004, 02:47:22 am »

Quote from: "PinkStainlessTail"
To Your Scattered Bodies Go should definitely be there,


Yeppers.  Love this one, but I think the Riverworld series kinda wemt downhill thereafter.  Anybody else read PJF writing as Kilgore Trout's Venus on the Half-Shell?  Excellent.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
100 must-read Sci-Fi books
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2004, 03:18:16 am »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Anybody else read PJF writing as Kilgore Trout's Venus on the Half-Shell?  Excellent.


Seconded.
Logged
goose means greedy

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
100 must-read Sci-Fi books
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2004, 07:05:24 pm »

Clarke and Asimov are waaaay over-represented.  John Varley is conspicuously absent.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
100 must-read Sci-Fi books
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2004, 07:09:39 pm »

Quote from: "Va"
John Varley is conspicuously absent.


I most heartily concur.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
100 must-read Sci-Fi books
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2004, 07:54:28 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Va"
John Varley is conspicuously absent.


I most heartily concur.


Heh, I saw that thread but it's locked so I couldn't gush over your letter and express my own love for JV in there.

Were you disappointed with Red Thunder, or was that just me?  I mean, if anyone else had written that book--fine.  But I expected so much more from JV.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up