I thought the Upanishads were some kind of Indian Bible. What is the story with their inclusion?
As I learned by rote in high-school philosophy, the Upanishads are "the first recorded human attempt to understand the universe metaphysically rather than just temporally"-- so I'd imagine they're trying to be uber-inclusive with their definition of science fiction as, basically, imaginative writing.
Yeah, this is basically it. The Upanishads are not precisely science fiction per se, but they're the earliest evidence of some of the big science-fiction tropes. They integrate significant discussion of the nature of the universe into the narrative, and one of their biggest themes is "man vs. destiny" and "man vs. (meta)physics," which show up in SF work a lot. I would hesitate to call them "science fiction," but they're clearly one of the earliest works of speculative fiction ever written.
(And they said Religion 101 would never be useful! Ha!)
Thanks to both of you. That's sort of what I'd figured, I guess. Although I do remember a couple of years ago a friend who's really into various flaky stuff showing me some website that tried to prove that ancient Hindus had space travel based on some holy texts, probably the Upanishads.
Oh dear, this won't do, will it :-) I'd better get to Googling and not leave everyone hanging.
Ah, that's right.
Vimanas. Fascinating reading, doubt any of it is true but who knows? It just seems like they're stretching a lot to make their point. But allegedly the Hindus of the Rama Empire had antigravity technology and flew around in these Vimanas. And supposedly what ended their civilization was nuclear warfare, with the effects of it described in lots of detail and sounding much like what the aftermath of a nuke is like. And then there's Oppenheimer quoting Lord Krishna in the Bhagavadgita at the first nuclear test detonation: I am become death, destroyer of worlds.
So, I don't know. If I'm in a credulous state of mind
baked out of my mind I can believe it but it's hard to when mostly sober-minded.
I just went and counted which ones I'd read. For shame. Only 21 of the 100. I was quite surprised. I guess I haven't read as much sci fi as I'd thought.