Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I shouldn't have to tell people not to hit me on the head nearly so often as I do.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: I fuck*ng hate moving companies  (Read 4018 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
I fuck*ng hate moving companies
« on: August 17, 2004, 06:40:47 am »

I have talked to several dozen moving companies thus far, and all of them have so far said, "Elbonia? Elbonia? We dont' ship to the Aleutian Islands." Back to the drawing board, However, in research for finding someone to ship my belongings to Elbonia, I found this great site. Horizon Freight ships stuff from Tacoma, Washington, directly to Elbonia. Perfect!

And they link to a site, www.shipmystuff.com, as a private mover who can pack your stuff at your house (bonus! less work for me!) and then ship it anywhere!

So what happens when I talk to the dude from Shipmystuff.com?

Knob: "You would have to rent a full container which would be $8,600.00"

Me:



Knob: Well, it doesn't matter what their website says. I just talked with them and you have to rent a forty foot container" [note: have you seen those CONNEX containers such as on a FREIGHT TRAIN? That is what Mr. Knob is referencing. My ex fiance used CONNEX containers to ship earthmovers and heavy equipment to fuck*ng Iraq.]

Me: *click*



YARRRRR.

Okay. Tomorrow I'm going to call the lovely folks at Horizon and see what they say. Perhaps I can just box my stuff up and ship it via UPS Freight to their port in Tacoma. For crying out loud, there has to be another way to do this.
Logged

sailor

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 301
    • View Profile
I fuck*ng hate moving companies
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2004, 08:08:52 am »

What, no Wal-Mart in Elbonia? You can't just buy new stuff?
That is a shame to our Proud American Corporations.

Vote for Bush
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
I fuck*ng hate moving companies
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2004, 04:32:25 pm »

Pointless aside: I use the same Firefox theme at work.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
I fuck*ng hate moving companies
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2004, 05:20:46 pm »

Quote from: "sailor"
What, no Wal-Mart in Elbonia? You can't just buy new stuff?
That is a shame to our Proud American Corporations.

Vote for Bush


Hi Sailor!

Your account will be suspended tomorrow as your e-mail address is inaccurate.

Please correct this to avoid the smackdown.

-- Dad.

P.S. This goes for the rest of you, too.  Make sure your board e-mail address is right, or your account will go bye-bye.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
I fuck*ng hate moving companies
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2004, 06:34:00 pm »

The spouse (who follows your Alaska story jealously) asks: Could you have the stuff moved to someplace big, like Anchorage, and then have it moved the rest of the way by someone local?

Maybe by some friendly local bush pilot, he says, and I say, you're having Northern Exposure-addled brains, and then I am sucked in, considering maybe whether your friendly local bush pilot guy might be kind of cute, and after all you're unattached now...
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
I fuck*ng hate moving companies
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2004, 06:55:57 pm »

Quote from: "wombat"
Maybe by some friendly local bush pilot, he says, and I say, you're having Northern Exposure-addled brains, and then I am sucked in, considering maybe whether your friendly local bush pilot guy might be kind of cute, and after all you're unattached now...

Said cute pilot would certainly bear a curse causing all of his SO's to die in strange ways
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
I fuck*ng hate moving companies
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2004, 07:40:50 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"

Said cute pilot would certainly bear a curse causing all of his SO's to die in strange ways


Rick didn't actually die though did he? He just ran like a girl when he had a scare was all. Though yes, that was why he ran.
I'll be quiet again now!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
I fuck*ng hate moving companies
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2004, 02:29:35 am »

One of the big perks of being a federal employee (aside from the incredible pay and the fame) is that 10 guys came, packed my stuff, put it in a huge sea-land container, shipped it to Hawaii along with my truck, and if I'm still a Federal Employee at the end of it all, they'll come back and do it again. And pay for my food and hotel for sixty days while I look for a place to live.

I suggest putting all your stuff in storage, moving there, and if you like it enough to stay there six months from now, THEN making the huge investment. Seriously, if it's going to cost you >10K to move OFF the island, you'll pretty much be a prisoner there. I'd test the waters first.

Our move cost >$15,000 US taxpayer dollars, and the return trip will cost more because there will be more of us. Thanks to all you good citizens for underwriting my adventures in paradise.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
I fuck*ng hate moving companies
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2004, 02:49:36 am »

DAMN!  I gotta get out of this State Government racket and jump to the Feds.  So tell me, does the Federal Government hire any lawyers?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
I fuck*ng hate moving companies
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2004, 03:25:50 am »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
One of the big perks of being a federal employee (aside from the incredible pay and the fame) is that 10 guys came, packed my stuff, put it in a huge sea-land container, shipped it to Hawaii along with my truck, and if I'm still a Federal Employee at the end of it all, they'll come back and do it again. And pay for my food and hotel for sixty days while I look for a place to live.

I suggest putting all your stuff in storage, moving there, and if you like it enough to stay there six months from now, THEN making the huge investment. Seriously, if it's going to cost you >10K to move OFF the island, you'll pretty much be a prisoner there. I'd test the waters first.

Our move cost >$15,000 US taxpayer dollars, and the return trip will cost more because there will be more of us. Thanks to all you good citizens for underwriting my adventures in paradise.


There is no way in hell that someone in my situation would have the money to move to Alaska. I've been out of work for about ten weeks now and my savings are depleted. Oh no, they are PAYING for my move.

As a city employee, I get a small stipend ($3,500) to move. I've gotten one quote from a shipping company thus far for $3,300.00 (I pack everything, then they come to my apartment and load all my boxes and load and pad all my furniture for the journey). Then the container disappears and reappears in Elbonia.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
I fuck*ng hate moving companies
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2004, 03:52:31 am »

Dude, it's a frikkin' island.  Carribou, as awesome as they are, will not carry pack across the sea.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
I fuck*ng hate moving companies
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2004, 04:05:11 am »

Quote from: "Asherdan"
To be a little more constructive than my last post: I'm assuming that everyone out there isn't a local.  Have you asked for a little direction from your contacts on site how other folks reach this place?

And don't let them pull your leg about pack bearing caribou...


Yeah, maybe I can get some of the three million bald eagles on the island to pay some fuck*ng rent and fly in my stuff.

In all seriousness, I've gotten names of moving companies and I'm getting shit taken care of. I'm waiting for one more quote before I go ahead with the $3,300 quote that I received.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
I fuck*ng hate moving companies
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2004, 04:15:39 am »

Quote from: "jough"
Dude, it's a frikkin' island.  Carribou, as awesome as they are, will not carry pack across the sea.


What about Amphibious Caribou?  Huh?  What about THEM Mr. Smarty-Jough?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
I fuck*ng hate moving companies
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2004, 04:17:00 am »

I concede to the man who won on Jeopardy.

Speaking of, have they coughed up your winnings yet?  I'd imagine they did, but that tip jar is just getting dusty.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
I fuck*ng hate moving companies
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2004, 04:26:37 am »

No they haven't.  I expect them next week.  And my but you're a subtle chap, aren't you?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up