Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I am composing a tone poem about eagles, lawnmowers, and Ted Nugent. It is composed only of the sounds of those things.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: I fuck*ng hate moving companies  (Read 4008 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
I fuck*ng hate moving companies
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2004, 07:05:31 am »

I've tried subtlety, but subtlety don't get me PAID, beyotchhhhhh.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
I fuck*ng hate moving companies
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2004, 07:17:16 am »

Quote from: "linnea"
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
One of the big perks of being a federal employee (aside from the incredible pay and the fame) is that 10 guys came, packed my stuff, put it in a huge sea-land container, shipped it to Hawaii along with my truck, and if I'm still a Federal Employee at the end of it all, they'll come back and do it again. And pay for my food and hotel for sixty days while I look for a place to live.

I suggest putting all your stuff in storage, moving there, and if you like it enough to stay there six months from now, THEN making the huge investment. Seriously, if it's going to cost you >10K to move OFF the island, you'll pretty much be a prisoner there. I'd test the waters first.

Our move cost >$15,000 US taxpayer dollars, and the return trip will cost more because there will be more of us. Thanks to all you good citizens for underwriting my adventures in paradise.


There is no way in hell that someone in my situation would have the money to move to Alaska. I've been out of work for about ten weeks now and my savings are depleted. Oh no, they are PAYING for my move.

As a city employee, I get a small stipend ($3,500) to move. I've gotten one quote from a shipping company thus far for $3,300.00 (I pack everything, then they come to my apartment and load all my boxes and load and pad all my furniture for the journey). Then the container disappears and reappears in Elbonia.


Yes, indeed, but they won't pay you to get off the island. That is an important possibility to consider. I'm just sayin' is all.
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
I fuck*ng hate moving companies
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2004, 08:30:59 am »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"

Yes, indeed, but they won't pay you to get off the island. That is an important possibility to consider. I'm just sayin' is all.


You are 100% correct, sir. That worries me a little bit, but the lure of cash money is stronger to a person who has been unemployed for a long time. I am consoling myself with the thought that if push comes to shove, I can sell all I own and get the fuck out of Dodge with just me and "the boys" (my cats, Milan and Lennybruce).

However, that is the worst-case scenario. I am planning to live there for 2 or 3 years (hopefully more), chilling and having fun and learning a lot while paying down my debts and saving lots and lots of money. I will get some valuable job skills, and work hard to benefit the city until I get another offer to relocate elsewhere. It is a win-win situation for me and for the folks that I will be working for.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
I fuck*ng hate moving companies
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2004, 06:18:46 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
DAMN!  I gotta get out of this State Government racket and jump to the Feds.  So tell me, does the Federal Government hire any lawyers?


Hells yeah.  You could get a job with DoD easy.  Make good scratch and not work ridiculous hours.  

Following AlohaDawg's lead:  Your tax dollars paid for my MBA.  w00t!
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
I fuck*ng hate moving companies
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2004, 07:25:55 pm »

My MPH, too, once I finish the frigging thing.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
I fuck*ng hate moving companies
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2004, 08:03:06 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
My MPH, too, once I finish the frigging thing.


You're working toward your MPH?  How cool is that?!  Do you write a thesis or something?  What does it entail?

Also, linnea, I gotta second the motion to put your stuff in storage.  When the old sibling moved to Nunvut she too had them paying to move her out but not back, so took only things she didn't mind leaving there and made a killing selling her "imported" stuff to the locals when she did leave.  Even though she knew she'd only be back in a year or two it turned out to be way cheeper than moving it all back.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up