Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Do not bone your neighbor's wife. That is hella lame.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Ah cain't pernounce nuthin' raht.  (Read 3335 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

TALKYdude

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 166
    • View Profile
Ah cain't pernounce nuthin' raht.
« on: August 18, 2004, 08:28:17 pm »

How does one say Philippe? I've been saying "Fileepay", as if it was Spanish, but suddenly wondered if it was "Fileep" as if it was French.
...for that matter, "jough". Is that pronounced like "joff" or like "joe"?
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Ah cain't pernounce nuthin' raht.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2004, 08:36:21 pm »

Note that Ultra Peanut says "FeeReep."  I take that as support for his name being pronounced "Phil-EEP," the French way.

I've always assumed "Jough" rhymes with "cough," but I suppose the man himself will be along to clarify.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
Ah cain't pernounce nuthin' raht.
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2004, 08:37:58 pm »

Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
I've always assumed "Jough" rhymes with "cough," but I suppose the man himself will be along to clarify.


If memory serves, he's made something of a point of pride out of ambiguity on this.
Logged

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Ah cain't pernounce nuthin' raht.
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2004, 08:44:45 pm »

I mentally pronounce it "Jow", rhyming with "plough".
Logged

TALKYdude

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 166
    • View Profile
Ah cain't pernounce nuthin' raht.
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2004, 09:02:33 pm »

Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
Note that Ultra Peanut says "FeeReep."  I take that as support for his name being pronounced "Phil-EEP," the French way.

Very nice. So French it is...I assumed "joff" also. I like Ben-San's "Jow" theory as well.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Ah cain't pernounce nuthin' raht.
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2004, 09:10:27 pm »

I just call Jough by his last name, "Dempsey", which is pronounced "He Who Has An Extremely Large c*ck".

And I say Phil - Leep.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Ah cain't pernounce nuthin' raht.
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2004, 09:59:19 pm »

http://achewood.plagiarist.com/viewtopic.php?t=170

I'm almost positive Chris once said that "fil-eep" is correct in an interview but Google has failed me!
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Ah cain't pernounce nuthin' raht.
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2004, 10:15:02 pm »

Jough is pronounced like the -ough sound in the following:

Tough Jough coughs and hiccoughs as he ploughs through the dough.


HINT: Each of those words has a DIFFERENT pronunciation.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Ah cain't pernounce nuthin' raht.
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2004, 12:21:49 am »

Quote from: "jough"

Tough Jough coughs and hiccoughs as he ploughs through the dough.


Oh you are a frightful tease.

I circulate how I pronounce your name when I read it, just in honour.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

V-Adore

  • Guest
Ah cain't pernounce nuthin' raht.
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2004, 12:33:50 am »

I have always mentally pronounced "jough" to rhyme with "dough," but I am a Philistine of the highest order.

And yes, AFAIK "Philippe" is "Phil-eep," but just say it any way you want and the good lord will provide.
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Ah cain't pernounce nuthin' raht.
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2004, 12:28:22 pm »

Wow. Am I the only one who says "Jough" as "Jew"?
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Ah cain't pernounce nuthin' raht.
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2004, 01:20:14 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
I have always mentally pronounced "jough" to rhyme with "dough," but I am a Philistine of the highest order.

And yes, AFAIK "Philippe" is "Phil-eep," but just say it any way you want and the good lord will provide.


Agreed on both points, as I'd always assumed "Jough" was the thinking man's "Joe", and as for the Philippe issue, I'm obviously just too damn French for my own good.
Logged
goose means greedy

palm trees

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 203
    • View Profile
Ah cain't pernounce nuthin' raht.
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2004, 08:15:23 pm »

fill eep and joff.
Logged
[size=10]***DESTROY VINYL***[/size][/color]

TALKYdude

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 166
    • View Profile
Ah cain't pernounce nuthin' raht.
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2004, 08:19:20 pm »

Quote from: "Bozack"
Wow. Am I the only one who says "Jough" as "Jew"?

Not any more.
Logged

TALKYdude

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 166
    • View Profile
Ah cain't pernounce nuthin' raht.
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2004, 08:25:16 pm »

It's so strange to think of Fileep now because in the Achewood compartment of my memory he's always been Fileepay.
Quote from: "Philippe"
"Lie Bot, what is the saddest thing"

Quote from: "Lie Bot"
Fileepay, Fileepay, Fileepay

Now I have to wipe three of those syllables out. Because of a problem?
Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up