Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RT@achewood New Roast Beef band name: THE DATA-TONES

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Tattoo You  (Read 15810 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Moderator
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Tattoo You
« on: August 21, 2004, 05:31:56 am »

Sigh....I've been wanting to post this on up here to get thoughts, and this seems like a perfect time. I've been working on tattoo designs for a while, and here's my favorite so far:

The line comes from Wagner's Tristan and Isolde, and is quoted in T.S. Eliot's Wasteland; I've been in love with the line for a really long time.
So here's the plan: that, on my left upper-arm. I'm probably going to hold onto the design for a year and see how I like it then; at that point, I'll take the plunge.
Does anyone else here have tats? Did you get them in prison?
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

TALKYdude

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 166
    • View Profile
Tattoo You
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2004, 07:00:48 am »

Oh, lovely. I was contemplating starting a tattoo thread, m'self. Thanks!
I think yours is really beautiful. Definitely doesn't seem like "future regret" material...
I've wanted a tat for a little while now. My first idea was to get a frog on my leg, the same green frog that I meet sometimes when I'm tripping on shrooms. Sometimes there's thousands of him coating every bit of the floor, in interlocking rotating pinwheels, alternately opening and closing their mouths, dancing in a rhythmic dance that if I lock my mind into it I'm rewarded every so often with these jolts of trippy pleasure straight into my brain, but if I ignore them they're just a really fun hallucination that I notice every once in a while and think of as a friend, of sorts. At least, the frog is always welcome when I see him (or thousands oh him). And the pattern is in three d, so there's a slightly less wide pinwheel on top of each last, so that at the very top there is a wheel of only three of him, then on top of them, one. At the bottom is about 18 frogs or so. The frog is very Inca or Aztec looking. The interlocking alternately rotating pinwheels of the frog also move in a pattern that very strongly evokes Incan or Aztec art in motion. It's kind of strange, I guess.
I'm going on and on about the frog, this is probably boring. Everyone has their own sentient beings and inanimate symbols that they meet when they trip and that teach them certain things. One of the most astonishing things that ever happened to me was to be describing the frogs, sober, to a friend, and as it turns out, she saw the frogs too. That was such a trip, exactly the way I described them, she was even telling me stuff I'd forgotten to mention. We've been a lot closer since discovering we share a beloved hallucination. Even more important to me than the frog is the goddess, but she's indescribable when I'm not tripping, and to meet her is always this weird feeling of not exactly dying, but of having been switched off like a tv and sort of dissolving and then there's a "birth" of sorts and I can never remember much of the specifics afterwards, only a feeling of muteness, awe and wonder. I can't speak for hours afterwards and I always feel like I've been cruelly dropped back off into the world before I was ready. I can't even imagine how I would start to describe the goddess-or if she's even a goddess. That's just my name for her. The interactions I have with her are at a level where language goes away and everything is pure meaning, but in object form. I'm going on again and drifting off point. The point is that I could never draw the frog adequately, and I'm terrible at drawing what I see in general, let alone when I'm tripping. So I need to take a class or get a book about learning how to tell your hand to draw what you see, if I ever want to get that one done.
Just to clarify, I don't really believe in anything supernatural when I'm sober. I'm not like a Wiccan or anything-nothing against Wiccans, Christians or whatever you are. I only believe I'm talking to a goddess when I'm tripping. As far as I'm concerned it's all created by my own mind, because I'm not really convinced that it comes from outside me. The mind is a powerful thing. I'm pretty much a nondogmatic atheist-I don't really give a shit if others are atheists and I won't try to talk religious people out of their religion (did try that a lot when I was a know it all teenager tho) but I also can't really convince myself to believe in much that science can't explain, or at least measure reliably.
A more pedestrian tattoo that I've always wanted to get is one of the phrase, "This too shall pass". It would probably be in all caps, in a really unique typeface (I'm kind of a dork about fonts and will probably spend a week or two just picking the right one, I want it to have exactly the right look) and I want it to go all the way around the middle of my upper left arm (sorta like yours, Bozack) in a band, evenly spaced, with a solid black line around the top and bottom.
On either my chest or back I'd like to get a nice sketch or small portion of a painting by Alex Grey. I already wrote him to ask permission; he wrote back and said he'd be honored, and that I should send him a good quality picture for inclusion in an art book of tattoos of his work. So I guess it isn't a completely new idea since enough people have asked him that he wants to do a book of it. His art is very spiritual and it's about opening your third eye and being one with the universe. Not in a cheesy new age way, more like his own personal lifelong project to meld yogic consciousness with a very modern sensibility. His art is really sexy and inspiring. If you're a Tool fan, he did the cd art for Lateralus and of the last minute+ of the video for Parabol/Parabola.
His sketches seem like the most likely candidates for a tattoo. Eye of the Heart almost looks like he meant it to be a tattoo, but it isn't completely my style. I really love The Seer and Vision Taking Form.
I'm a lot more attached to his paintings, but much less optimistic about finding an artist who will be able to faithfully reproduce a portion. Some of my favorites are Kissing, Copulating, Pregnancy, Birth, Newborn, Nursing, New Family, Wonder, Painting, and Cosmic Christ. Just click around his site and maybe buy his art books, Amazon and Borders carry them. I'm just showing you the paintings I'm most into, I haven't really got a lot of idea yet which part of which one I really want to use for a tattoo, if at all.
So how does Bozack end up being called Bozack? Is there some story involved? Spill it!
Logged

TALKYdude

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 166
    • View Profile
Tattoo You
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2004, 07:02:15 am »

Oh wow. Well, I typed your unique combo of letters and numbers and I guess the board translated that into Bozack automatically.
Logged

TALKYdude

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 166
    • View Profile
Tattoo You
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2004, 07:06:20 am »

It's even prettier how it rhymes in...uh...that language (German? What is that dash above one of the letters?).
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Tattoo You
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2004, 01:52:03 pm »

I have a yin-yang the size of a dime on my left shoulder.  I got in Amsterdam when I was 19.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Tattoo You
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2004, 02:03:13 pm »

Quote from: "TALKYdude"

On either my chest or back I'd like to get a nice sketch or small portion of a painting by Alex Grey.


Wow, Grey's work is amazing. It seems to be popular with people who like hallucinogens (the friend of mine who first showed me his work did a shit-ton of drugs). It is a little frustrating to see his work in such tiny form, because I pored over his book for an hour, just marvelling at his detail and the beauty of each painting. The scale factor would be difficult in a tattoo. His work is highly detailed and the medium of tattooing would not really do his work justice, imho.

I've never really thought about getting any of it inked, since it would seem kind of redundant. To me, his work shows a visual link between the physical and spiritual. While I love looking at his artwork, actually having it physically applied to the human body seems like it's just replicating what is already there. Yes, tattoos are very symbolic but the physical and spiritual matter that is explored in Grey's work seem to indicate that the Divine is already present in the human form. We all embody the light of God because we were made in God's image. I don't know why I disagree with the thought of getting Grey's work tattooed--other than the scale factor, which would kind of blunt the effect of his work imho; and the redundancy factor, which is hard for me to articulate but I'm sure you've heard the term "gilding the lily"*.



*Gilding the lily: Mat 6:28 “And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith?
Logged

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
Tattoo You
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2004, 02:05:02 pm »

I used to want a tattoo of the Euler formula with x=pi.  But I don't think I want a tattoo anymore.

Like this, but without the comma at the end.
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Tattoo You
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2004, 02:17:30 pm »

I have been wanting to get something for ages.

I am not sure whether I want something darker or not, or whether to go ahead and get this:



It's a 13th Century calligraphy of the boat from the Sufi fable of the Islanders.

But I have no idea where I'd get that on my body. It wouldn't fit anywhere but between my shoulders really, and I don't want it there.
I'll probably never get round to it...


And Talky, that's really weird. I had a friend who was always visited by a little green frog when he tripped. I've never had anything like that.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Mantonio

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 423
    • View Profile
Re: Tattoo You
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2004, 03:48:35 pm »

Quote from: "Bozack"
Sigh....I've been wanting to post this on up here to get thoughts, and this seems like a perfect time. I've been working on tattoo designs for a while, and here's my favorite so far:

The line comes from Wagner's Tristan and Isolde, and is quoted in T.S. Eliot's Wasteland; I've been in love with the line for a really long time.
So here's the plan: that, on my left upper-arm. I'm probably going to hold onto the design for a year and see how I like it then; at that point, I'll take the plunge.
Does anyone else here have tats? Did you get them in prison?[/img]


Sweet!  That's the kind of tatt Lyle would have.  I mean that in a good way of course.
Logged

TALKYdude

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 166
    • View Profile
Tattoo You
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2004, 05:45:48 pm »

Linnea, that's a really good point about Alex's work and the redundancy fo tattooing it. In any case if I get a tattoo of his stuff it won't be for a long time. So I have a lot of time to think about it.
His art does have a pretty meaningful role in my life, so I'm hoping I can figure out something that'll make a lot of sense to put on my body.
Logged

TALKYdude

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 166
    • View Profile
Tattoo You
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2004, 06:02:37 pm »

Quote from: "slink"
I have been wanting to get something for ages.

I am not sure whether I want something darker or not, or whether to go ahead and get this:

It's a 13th Century calligraphy of the boat from the Sufi fable of the Islanders.

But I have no idea where I'd get that on my body. It wouldn't fit anywhere but between my shoulders really, and I don't want it there.
I'll probably never get round to it...


And Talky, that's really weird. I had a friend who was always visited by a little green frog when he tripped. I've never had anything like that.
Wow, that's really cool, slink. It says "I invoke Allah's shielding from the malicious Shaitan. In the name of Allah, the most merciful, the most forgiving, O Allah, Opener of Doors, unlock for us the bounty (could also mean charity, depending on context) of the sea." They can fit a lot of text in there, heh. Here's the non-calligraphic version of the Arabic words:
أعوذ بالله من الشيطان الرجيم بسم الله الرحمان الرحيم اللهم يا مفتح الأبواب إفتح لنا خير البحر
See if you can spot them all, heh heh. Some of them are extremely mutilated in order to get the thing to look like a boat, but they're all there, and in that same order.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Tattoo You
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2004, 06:28:53 pm »

I have wanted for a long time to get a very small tattoo of a capybara.  But I can't get a straight answer from anyone about a very important question.  How much does it HURT?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Tattoo You
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2004, 06:40:57 pm »

Wombat, how much tattoos hurt depends very much on their placement- if it's on your arm or leg or something, not that much, but there are some extremely painful areas, like the collarbone.  
My older sister has a lot of interesting and well-thought-out tattoos, and I've always presumed it's just a matter of (not very much) time before I get one:
The two I've got in mind right now are the Trylon and Perisphere below my left shoulder on the front, and/or this illustration from Finnegans Wake
Logged
goose means greedy

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Tattoo You
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2004, 07:10:15 pm »

Quote from: "TALKYdude"
Quote from: "slink"
I have been wanting to get something for ages.

I am not sure whether I want something darker or not, or whether to go ahead and get this:

It's a 13th Century calligraphy of the boat from the Sufi fable of the Islanders.

But I have no idea where I'd get that on my body. It wouldn't fit anywhere but between my shoulders really, and I don't want it there.
I'll probably never get round to it...


And Talky, that's really weird. I had a friend who was always visited by a little green frog when he tripped. I've never had anything like that.
Wow, that's really cool, slink. It says "I invoke Allah's shielding from the malicious Shaitan. In the name of Allah, the most merciful, the most forgiving, O Allah, Opener of Doors, unlock for us the bounty (could also mean charity, depending on context) of the sea." They can fit a lot of text in there, heh. Here's the non-calligraphic version of the Arabic words:
أعوذ بالله من الشيطان الرجيم بسم الله الرحمان الرحيم اللهم يا مفتح الأبواب إفتح لنا خير البحر
See if you can spot them all, heh heh. Some of them are extremely mutilated in order to get the thing to look like a boat, but they're all there, and in that same order.


Whoa, that's beautiful. That's just amazing. Talky, how on earth did you know that? Do you speak Arabic? One of my good friends was Jordanian/Saudi but I didn't manage to learn any Arabic from her. She did say that the various dialects in the Arab world can be a little difficult to follow. For example, one of her brothers married a Moroccan girl, and my friend had difficulty talking to her sister-in-law's family. They usually just spoke English or French, since it was often easier.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Tattoo You
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2004, 07:25:29 pm »

OK, let's say my ankle...  Is it like getting a flu shot?  A splinter under a fingernail? A mosquito sting? A cat claw? A mole-rat bite? There must be something comparable.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up