Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Artists need to make money to eat and to continue to make art. Artists used to rely on middlemen to collect their money on their behalf, thereby rendering themselves innocent of cash-handling in the public eye. Artists will now be coming straight to you (yes YOU, you who want their music, their films, their books) for their paychecks. Please welcome them. Please help them. Please do not make them feel badly about asking you directly for money.” -Amanda Palmer

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Tattoo You  (Read 15834 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Tattoo You
« Reply #60 on: August 24, 2004, 11:22:43 pm »

Quote from: "Va"
I thought this was the sort of company in which the term "nerd" would be taken in the spirit it was meant.  


I think it was.  I think the point was, you are actually, like, surprised that this has turned into a nerd contest?  Then you must be new around here.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Tattoo You
« Reply #61 on: August 25, 2004, 01:24:19 am »

The entire board is a nerd contest.  Duh.

By the way, Va, if I haven't told you yet... You..Are..Rad.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Tattoo You
« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2004, 06:19:09 am »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Hey!  I could get the UAC logo!


Been playing a little Doom 3, August?

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Moderator
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Tattoo You
« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2004, 07:47:05 am »

Ha, as I said before, a bunch of English majors in a Red Dwarf convention. Also, if anyone gets a Day of the Tentacle, Sam and Max, or Grim Fandago tattoo, they and myself will henceforth be married in the sight of God. Yes, Slink, even you.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
Tattoo You
« Reply #64 on: August 25, 2004, 11:05:00 am »

Quote from: "wombat"
Quote from: "Va"
I thought this was the sort of company in which the term "nerd" would be taken in the spirit it was meant.  


I think it was.  I think the point was, you are actually, like, surprised that this has turned into a nerd contest?  Then you must be new around here.


Man, and here I was all worried I might have hurt somebody's feelings.  I should be banned just for that.  I've obviously been spending too much time interacting with people who are not sarcastic bastards.  It's not by choice, believe me.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Tattoo You
« Reply #65 on: August 25, 2004, 12:35:24 pm »

Va, although we seem very civilized (in a sarcastic way), if the pack was ganging up and trying to drive you away, it would be a lot less subtle.  Don't worry.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Tattoo You
« Reply #66 on: August 25, 2004, 12:59:35 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Hey!  I could get the UAC logo!


Been playing a little Doom 3, August?


Naw, not yet.  But I've spent countless (don't even try to count 'em) hours playing Doom II and all it's permutations, add-ons, levels, WADs, MegaWads, et al.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Tattoo You
« Reply #67 on: August 25, 2004, 01:10:35 pm »

Quote from: "Bozack"
Yes, Slink, even you.


Eeeek. Well maybe I can just not mention it...

And, I prefer to be referred to as a geek. I still think of nerds as mouth breathers. Hence I got round to getting the <GEEK> </GEEK> tee from thinkgeek.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Tattoo You
« Reply #68 on: August 25, 2004, 01:29:36 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "jough"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Hey!  I could get the UAC logo!


Been playing a little Doom 3, August?


Naw, not yet.  But I've spent countless (don't even try to count 'em) hours playing Doom II and all it's permutations, add-ons, levels, WADs, MegaWads, et al.


have you played the Marathon games?  Besides M1, M2, and Minfinity, there are countless robust add-on scenarios.

plus, as opposed to DoomII, it has a delightful story.  see http://marathon.bungie.org/story/ for backstory, faqs, spoilers, and reams and reams of speculation as to what is really going on in the game.

and, just so's ya know, the engine linked in the first link is OpenSourced and allowed by bungie, and the 1st game's scenario is fully avaliable and allowed by bungie.  you can buy the 2nd & third, and use the opensource engine with their scenarios, if'n you liked the first enough.

just keep in mind it's from 94 or whatnot.  you can't jump without using a grenade launcher, etc.

but, you CAN see all the way around an enemy, as opposed to them swivelling as you go around them, etc, etc.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Tattoo You
« Reply #69 on: August 25, 2004, 01:49:02 pm »

Eternal was my all-time favorite TC.  It was impressive how they managed to do so much with so little.

I mainly used ZDoom.

I don't know why I like Doom II so much.  Obviously it's a dinosaur of FPS's.  But there's something about it that keeps bringing me back.  I like the simplicity of the controls.  I can kick ass with the keyboard controls when not distracted by that pesky third dimension.

Also, I have thousands of levels from the sublime to the absurd.  I like the way level creating got the players involved in game design.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
Tattoo You
« Reply #70 on: August 25, 2004, 02:08:05 pm »

Quote from: "arkabee"
have you played the Marathon games?  Besides M1, M2, and Minfinity, there are countless robust add-on scenarios.


I just this past week discovered / downloaded / managed to fuck*ng configure just like I like it Aleph One, and I'm presently punching my way through Marathon.

Let me second the recommendation for this series. I am a sucker for a good story: I would probably play Pong for hours if there was an engaging text crawl along the bottom of the screen. Marathon has the story and the gameplay is hella old school. It is hard and good. (Feel free to quote that last line right the fuck out of context.)
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Tattoo You
« Reply #71 on: August 25, 2004, 02:43:14 pm »

Quote from: "andalucia"
Regarding side_show's story, I'm mostly just trying to stop myself from making the Donnie Darko reference it immediately evoked.


That was, indeed, what I thought of when I saw the zipper tatoo:  "why are you wearing that stupid human suit?"  I really want to steal this idea, but it just seems to be ultra-dumb to copy someone elses idea for a tatoo, when really originality is what one is supposedly aiming for when they get a tatoo in the first place.  Then again, there is a hella' looney toons tat's out there that prove me wrong and make me wonder about people's intentions in general.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Tattoo You
« Reply #72 on: August 25, 2004, 03:57:32 pm »

Quote from: "St_Zartan"

Let me second the recommendation for this series. I am a sucker for a good story: I would probably play Pong for hours if there was an engaging text crawl along the bottom of the screen. Marathon has the story and the gameplay is hella old school. It is hard and good. (Feel free to quote that last line right the fuck out of context.)


apparently jason jone's (bungie's) first game was a pong clone.

also, if you dig into the other site i linked to, there's all kinds of super awesome geekiness in twixt the "linkings" of pathways into darkness, marathon trilogy, and the halo universe.

i've been telling my friend about marathon for ever now, and i always say something like "it was the first that let you jump.  no, wait, no, you can't jump" etc.

i _finally_ remembered what it was, it was you could look/aim up down.

however, to alleviate penis-o-phobes, it's ENTIRELY keyboardable, in fact the dev team apparently made fun of people trying to use thepenis and set the cap lock to run etc.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Tattoo You
« Reply #73 on: August 25, 2004, 05:28:07 pm »

Speaking of tattoos and comics (this was at one point a thread about tattoos on a messageboard about a comic, wasn't it?):

http://www.dumbrella.com//ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=12;t=002568
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

V-Adore

  • Guest
Tattoo You
« Reply #74 on: August 25, 2004, 07:09:57 pm »

Man, J-Ro is awesome. (And also awesome to have it looking that good that quickly -- I was under the impression that fresh tats were basically just like a big swollen scabby bruise for the first few days.)
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up