Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Established 2003
TOUAMB: Wandering off topic since the early 21st Century

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Blogs -- week of August 23, 2004  (Read 5123 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Blogs -- week of August 23, 2004
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2004, 12:00:51 am »

Does anyone have a clue what "the Miz gerries" are that LN wants to catch up on? I feel sadly clueless and out-of-touch with the "modern generation."

And I dunno, really... something still rubs me wrong about the whole Operation H.O.T. S.A.U.C.E. thing. Maybe it was the fact that Onstad actually put a link to the Achewood store in? That kind of broke the fourth wall for me.
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Blogs -- week of August 23, 2004
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2004, 12:06:45 am »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
And I dunno, really... something still rubs me wrong about the whole Operation H.O.T. S.A.U.C.E. thing. Maybe it was the fact that Onstad actually put a link to the Achewood store in? That kind of broke the fourth wall for me.


Yeah, it freaks me out almost as much as Phillippe having The Religion.
Logged
goose means greedy

V-Adore

  • Guest
Blogs -- week of August 23, 2004
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2004, 01:24:16 am »

I dunno, I can sort of buy Philippe having Religion, if only because it hasn't been used all that stupidly yet. It could get irritating if 'stad goes overboard with it, though.
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Blogs -- week of August 23, 2004
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2004, 04:03:39 am »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
I dunno, I can sort of buy Philippe having Religion, if only because it hasn't been used all that stupidly yet. It could get irritating if 'stad goes overboard with it, though.


Yeah, and it's not even really like he's got The Religion; it's more like he's just got random, weird Morals.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Blogs -- week of August 23, 2004
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2004, 04:21:30 am »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Does anyone have a clue what "the Miz gerries" are that LN wants to catch up on? I feel sadly clueless and out-of-touch with the "modern generation."


But you are the "modern generation".

Quote from: "later on, V"
I dunno, I can sort of buy Philippe having Religion, if only because it hasn't been used all that stupidly yet. It could get irritating if 'stad goes overboard with it, though.


That doesn't seem like much of a danger to me.  Onstad never seems to go overboard with a theme.  He has a fine sense of comic timing -- leave 'em wanting more, stop it sooner versus later.  I can't really think of a joke/theme that he's worn out.  I guess Teador's party ran a little long, but that was more of a setting rather than a gag.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
Blogs -- week of August 23, 2004
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2004, 06:03:23 am »

For a character who (relatively) doesn't get much face time in the strip (and has dog shit abs besides), Pat is slowly but surely becoming my favorite character. It's funny: I believe my very first post here contained something to the effect of "Pat is a dick".

Pat. I was wrong, in spirit if not in letter. You are right to be a dick. Take it from Pat, people: shape up.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Blogs -- week of August 23, 2004
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2004, 06:42:18 am »

St Zartan, you are my favorite character.

On edit:  I have to agree.  I see too much of Pat in myself.  Pat is like the ultimate rationalist.  Things are sposta make sense dammit!  Pat represses his voltaile emotions because it's the correct thing to do.  When presented with an irrational situation he blows the limits and does crazy shit to try to restore rationality.

Part of me applauds Pat for the effort.  Part of me laughs at him for believing he can change the condition of the cosmos.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Blogs -- week of August 23, 2004
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2004, 02:41:30 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "later on, V"
I dunno, I can sort of buy Philippe having Religion, if only because it hasn't been used all that stupidly yet. It could get irritating if 'stad goes overboard with it, though.

That doesn't seem like much of a danger to me.  Onstad never seems to go overboard with a theme.  He has a fine sense of comic timing -- leave 'em wanting more, stop it sooner versus later.  I can't really think of a joke/theme that he's worn out.  I guess Teador's party ran a little long, but that was more of a setting rather than a gag.

I don't think he's supposed to be some crazy fundamentalist Religious Reich kind of person, he just has the vague regilious notions that many kids do. Say your prayers, swearing makes god angry. That kind of thing.

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Part of me applauds Pat for the effort. Part of me laughs at him for believing he can change the condition of the cosmos.

Pat's greatest enemy: entropy
Logged

palm trees

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 203
    • View Profile
Blogs -- week of August 23, 2004
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2004, 03:07:08 pm »

Quote
Earlier in the week he wanted to do this Donald Trump theme, which I guess meant that he would fly away in a helicopter while the party went bankrupt, but hopefully he'll have changed his mind.



there's my sweet one-liner for the day.
Logged
[size=10]***DESTROY VINYL***[/size][/color]

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Blogs -- week of August 23, 2004
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2004, 03:18:29 pm »

So much for my Blog-Chris-Isn't-Married theory.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Blogs -- week of August 23, 2004
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2004, 05:47:55 pm »

I think this is the first Pat-rant I basically agree with. I can grok his wavelength here. I like to think this is because this is his first rant which is truly rational and does not involve doing awful things to service personnel who are just trying to do their best in this world.

Also, I think LN proves to me that I am entirely out of step with Youth Culture, at least as it applies to talking cats.
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Blogs -- week of August 23, 2004
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2004, 07:10:15 pm »

Wait, is this the Postal Service rant that went up a while ago? Because that's the latest Pat entry I'm gettin.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Blogs -- week of August 23, 2004
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2004, 08:29:45 pm »

Quote from: "Bozack"
Wait, is this the Postal Service rant that went up a while ago? Because that's the latest Pat entry I'm gettin.

Screw the Dream Team
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Blogs -- week of August 23, 2004
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2004, 09:21:42 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
So much for my Blog-Chris-Isn't-Married theory.


Are Freeze-pop Liz and Onstad, Liz two different people?
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Blogs -- week of August 23, 2004
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2004, 11:37:35 pm »

I think they're different people because don't the Freezepops live in Boston?

But did you know that they also have an advice column from a cat on their website?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up