Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Listen, I've been duped by "English-speaking" pizza places before.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?  (Read 18463 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« on: August 23, 2004, 09:21:16 pm »

I couldn't help noticing that there seems to be a pretty high density of Pixies fans here, judging from this thread.

Anyone else going to see them, or already saw them this year?
Logged

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2004, 09:24:51 pm »

I'm trying to put together a trip back East the first week of December.  The Pixies are playing my alma mater, UMASS, on the first of the month, and I may go with some friends of mine from back then.
Logged

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2004, 10:22:47 pm »

Quote from: "Limmo"
The Pixies are playing my alma mater, UMASS...


THAT'S EDUCATIONAL!

Well, it had to be said.

I about (figuratively) shit myself when I heard the Pixies had got back together for a tour.  They were already split up when I got into them, and I didn't think I would ever, ever get to see them.  We're seeing them in Atlanta on October 13th.  4th row pit, baby.  I fully expect to be splashed with sweat from Frank Black's gleaming skull.  Also, I will be hell of pregnant.
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2004, 10:38:27 pm »

I've got my ticket to see them at the University of Quebec's skating rink in late November: and it's general admission, so I am so going to be a fangirl and line up all day.
Logged
goose means greedy

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2004, 11:48:27 pm »

It is educational.  What's stranger is that Frank and Joey lived in the dorm across from mine in the fall of 1985 in Orchard Hill.  I, of course, never actually met them.  So that's about as O.G. as I get with the Pixies.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2004, 12:37:56 am »

I'm a Pixies fan but not enough to go to NYC as that's the closest show and it's four hours away.

Have you all pre-ordered the new Frank Black stuff, also? IIRC the double album will be called Frank Black Francis.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2004, 01:09:27 am »

Who are these Pixies of which you speak?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2004, 01:28:04 am »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Who are these Pixies of which you speak?


ah hahahaha you kill me.


so, i have a pixies "bootleg" video on cd but i don't have the right codec right now.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2004, 01:33:58 am »

Quote from: "arkabee"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Who are these Pixies of which you speak?


ah hahahaha you kill me.


so, i have a pixies "bootleg" video on cd but i don't have the right codec right now.


I'm really not kidding.  As I've said before, I quit keeping up with music in about 1989.  I'd like to know.  Compare them to somebody I'd be familiar with.  Help me out on this one and I'll tell you how to handle a traffic ticket someday.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

TALKYdude

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 166
    • View Profile
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2004, 04:08:35 am »

Quote from: "arkabee"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Who are these Pixies of which you speak?


ah hahahaha you kill me.


so, i have a pixies "bootleg" video on cd but i don't have the right codec right now.
arkabee, if you're on Windows, try these things, in the order given:
get vlc media player and see if it'll play it.
get k-lite codec mega pack and see if it'll play it.
If you still can't get it to play, you now have a bunch of stuff installed on your system, sorry about that. Uninstall it if you don't want to keep it, I keep both around and find them handy frequently.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2004, 11:37:22 am »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
I'm really not kidding.  As I've said before, I quit keeping up with music in about 1989.  I'd like to know.  Compare them to somebody I'd be familiar with.  Help me out on this one and I'll tell you how to handle a traffic ticket someday.


Hey, me too - I want to know about both the Pixes and the traffic ticket...
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2004, 11:40:23 am »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
I'm really not kidding.  As I've said before, I quit keeping up with music in about 1989.  I'd like to know.  Compare them to somebody I'd be familiar with.  


The Pixies are one of those groups that are ridiculously influential for the number of people who are familiar with them, so it's a lot easier to say who's like them than who they're like, but I'd say their clearest antecedents would be probably the Velvet Underground, for combining clever avant-gardidity with awesome rockyness, or any of the better "alternative" (for lack of a better term) bands from the 80s like Husker Du or Dinosaur Jr. (both of whom were pretty much contemporaries of the Pixies, actually... hm.   blast.)

Essentially, they're a good, fun rock band with talented musicians and clever songs.  I'm sure one of the other music geeks here can provide a better summary though.
Logged
goose means greedy

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2004, 01:25:04 pm »

i've not heard a Velvet Underground recording that i've liked.  and i do not understand why all these great bands get compared to the VU.  regardless.

Pixies, um, Lead Singer kind of sing/screams/high pitched falsetto.  but not in a Hair Band way, in an Alternative way.

2 guitar, very surf, very jingley jangley.  nice solos, not ostentatious.

bass player is a chick, who sang on, what?, 2 songs.  later went on to form the Breeders, who after kicking Tanya Donnely to the curb hat a hit single with Cannonball.

The drummer is, well, a drummer.

Have you seen that horrid teenage-illegal-radio-Christian-Slater-vehicle?  There's either A) a pixies song on the soundtrack , B) a cover of a pixies song on it.  i always forget which.

Pixies were on Letterman once, to promote Tromp Le Monde.

um.  they were a band.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2004, 01:38:59 pm »

Quote from: "arkabee"

2 guitar, very surf


That's what would sum it up for me.
Smells Like Teen Spirit was a ripoff of a Pixies riff.
The ending track to Fight Club was the Pixies.
And if you haven't heard them you really should, for if you like the Pixies, you kind of wonder what you'd do without them.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2004, 02:15:17 pm »

When people ask me to describe the Pixies, the best I can usually come up with is "surf punk".

For the Pixies-ignorant, here's some tracks you can check out.  Get 'em while they're hot, 'cuz I won't be leaving them up for very long.

FYI, if you haven't exposed yourself to new music in a long time, you may also be in need of an introduction to Primus and Phish.  EDIT: And Weezer.

Bone Machine
Planet of Sound
Velouria
U-MASS
I've Been Tired
Monkey Gone to Heaven
Where Is My Mind
Dig For Fire
Space (I Believe In)

EDIT:
Added due to popular demand:
Alec Eiffel

Added because I can:
Wave of Mutilation (UK Surf Mix)

Added for comparison/contrast with above:
Wave of Mutilation (Album version)

For the already Pixies and/or Frank Black obsessed, did you know that all that shit is up on eMusic?
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up