Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Today's sad thing: A reeking tweaker couple looking in the gas station freezer for "that pizza that was good in the microwave last time."

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?  (Read 18527 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2004, 02:16:33 pm »

Quote from: "arkabee"
Have you seen that horrid teenage-illegal-radio-Christian-Slater-vehicle?  There's either A) a pixies song on the soundtrack , B) a cover of a pixies song on it.  i always forget which.


It wasn't so bad, for what it was. High school juniors need entertainment, too - better "Pump Up the Volume" than fuck*ng "Yu-Gi-Oh!".

Anyway, that was the "UK Surf" version of "Wave of Mutilation", not a cover. It was played slower, all nice and languid and dreamy.'

EDIT: Va, no "Alec Eiffel"? That song has "gateway drug" written all over it. Also, I don't know if you know, but according to Message Board Daddy, this board has hella lurkers, so keep an eye on your bandwidth.
Logged

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2004, 02:38:51 pm »

Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Anyway, that was the "UK Surf" version of "Wave of Mutilation", not a cover. It was played slower, all nice and languid and dreamy.'

EDIT: Va, no "Alec Eiffel"? That song has "gateway drug" written all over it. Also, I don't know if you know, but according to Message Board Daddy, this board has hella lurkers, so keep an eye on your bandwidth.


Omission noted and rectified.  And, for good measure, I threw in the UK Surf version of Wave of Mutilation.  re: bandwidth - roger that.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2004, 02:42:48 pm »

Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Quote from: "arkabee"
Have you seen that horrid teenage-illegal-radio-Christian-Slater-vehicle?  There's either A) a pixies song on the soundtrack , B) a cover of a pixies song on it.  i always forget which.


It wasn't so bad, for what it was. High school juniors need entertainment, too - better "Pump Up the Volume" than fuck*ng "Yu-Gi-Oh!".

Anyway, that was the "UK Surf" version of "Wave of Mutilation", not a cover. It was played slower, all nice and languid and dreamy.'

EDIT: Va, no "Alec Eiffel"? That song has "gateway drug" written all over it. Also, I don't know if you know, but according to Message Board Daddy, this board has hella lurkers, so keep an eye on your bandwidth.


Dude, I have that cassette in my car.  I stole it from my sister during the hight of my Christian Slater crush (gag, I know, but c'mon Heathers wasnt so bad) The Pump Up the Volume soundtrack was actually not that bad - it had the Pixes and Sonic Youth on it, and also a horrible, hilariously bad song by Soundgarden.

Actually, this is the only Pixes song I know, and it's probably (?) not representative of their other music.  I've just failed to get into them or Sonic Youth.  I'm a real lover of good lyrics, and barely being able to make out lyrics over the jangle, no matter how good the jangle is, doesn't do it for me.  This is also why I was never "into" Radiohead.  I'm sure fans like yourselves can defend that these bands do write good lyrics, but since I can't actually make them out, well, meh.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2004, 02:44:20 pm »

The Pixies and Frank Black have lots of trippy sci-fi lyrics.
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2004, 03:09:35 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
I'm really not kidding.  As I've said before, I quit keeping up with music in about 1989.  I'd like to know.  Compare them to somebody I'd be familiar with.  Help me out on this one and I'll tell you how to handle a traffic ticket someday.


Well then you should know, because the Pixies were in full swing by 1989, kicking ass and taking names, having released two of the best albums of the 80s in 88 and 89 (I think).  Plus a great smaller type album in 87.

Traffic ticket?  What's the secret?

I just found out Saturday they will be playing a nice theatre on my campus in a month.  I saw them in May on a HUGE ASS field.  They were great, but I'm too old and fat for GA shows anymore, so I'm looking forward to comfortable assigned seating.  And my seat appears to be pretty good.

In November David Sedaris will be rocking the same house, so that will be cool too.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2004, 05:54:55 pm »

Quote from: "side_show"

 I'm a real lover of good lyrics, and barely being able to make out lyrics over the jangle, no matter how good the jangle is, doesn't do it for me.  This is also why I was never "into" Radiohead.  I'm sure fans like yourselves can defend that these bands do write good lyrics, but since I can't actually make them out, well, meh.


I clicked on the UMass song right away, having a degree from there and all - but then I immediately had to Google for the lyrics to know what it was about.  So it wasn't just my aged ears or crappy old laptop, then.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2004, 06:22:55 pm »

Quote from: "St_Zartan"

It wasn't so bad, for what it was. High school juniors need entertainment, too - better "Pump Up the Volume" than fuck*ng "Yu-Gi-Oh!".

Anyway, that was the "UK Surf" version of "Wave of Mutilation", not a cover. It was played slower, all nice and languid and dreamy.'



i will admit that the idea of driving around a pirate radiostation and being all Christian Slater cool was a good idea to me before i started drinking.  i even thought, at one point, that it might behoove me to "Gleam the Cube".  maybe.

for some reason i always want to say that Jesus and MAry Chain and the Pixies had some sort of song swap symbiosis.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2004, 06:35:35 am »

Sweet fuck*ng CHRIST I can't leave you kids alone for five FREAKING DAYS?

First of all, the Pixies do indeed rock, and I would love to see them but probably won't.

Also, why do all of Frank Black's albums other than the first eponymous one suck so bad?  Can someone explain "Frank Black and the Catholics" to me?  I mean, is it ironic country, or does he really think that shit is good?

And the Velvet Underground is my favourite band of ALL fuck*ng TIME, so I really don't know what to say to those who don't like them.

Also, Pump Up the Volume was a pretty good movie, and the soundtrack rocked at the time.  I did wish that it had the Leonard Cohen version of "Everybody Knows" on it, though, since the one on there is teh suck.

But the album version of Wave of Mutilation is the only true version.  That UK Surf bullshit is just wasting EVERYONE'S time.

Later today, once everyone else is awake, I'm off to make the hajj to Martello Tower, and then off to Dublin for the flight home, which means pretty much that I will be riding in the world's smallest car all day.  Whee!

I guess I will not have time to walk the Bloomsday walk through the city.  Pity.

Ireland is a nightmare from which I am trying to awake!

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2004, 10:25:43 am »

Quote from: "jough"
Also, why do all of Frank Black's albums other than the first eponymous one suck so bad?


Easy!  They don't.  You have obviously not listened to "Pistolero". Frank Black in fact rocks at least as hard, if not harder, by himself, or with the Catholics, as he did/does with the Pixies.  I can provide hard evidence, if requested.  I hope this confusion is cleared up.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2004, 01:07:54 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
But the album version of Wave of Mutilation is the only true version.  That UK Surf bullshit is just wasting EVERYONE'S time.

That's it. Jough has officially become Pat.
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2004, 01:26:50 pm »

Ok, Jough, despite the indisputed awesomeness of your Joyce references (if the deadline hasn't passed yet for jough-presents, I would love a token James Joyce thing, like a postcard or something), you are wrong wrong wrong about the majority of Frank Black's albums being bad.
Logged
goose means greedy

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2004, 01:30:39 pm »

I know it's too late but I would've asked for one of those heart rings that I can't spell. Claddagh?

Anway. I don't own any Frank Black albums, where should I start?
Logged

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2004, 01:45:31 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"

Anway. I don't own any Frank Black albums, where should I start?


the first one.

avoid the one with the song about getting kicked in the taco.  is, um, not so good.  (the cult of ray, i believe, is the album title.)
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2004, 02:00:33 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Anway. I don't own any Frank Black albums, where should I start?


I haven't listened to it in ages, but I remember not being able to drag myself away from "Teenager of the Year" for days on end.

Hella Taco Bell stylezz
Logged

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2004, 02:01:51 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Anway. I don't own any Frank Black albums, where should I start?


His eponymous album is super-nice, and Pistolero is also quite tasty.  I love them all, however.  Well, almost all.  I don't have Teenager of the Year or The Cult of Ray, so I haven't yet had the chance to love them.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up