Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Wine: Keep a red and a white on hand at all times. When choosing wines on the wine aisle, use this simple rhyme to make your selection: “Closer to the floor, is meant for the poor / closer to the lights, is more like for if Bono comes over.” -=RAY=-

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?  (Read 18455 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2004, 12:22:54 am »

I actually would like to DL them, as I have not yet heard any Pixies, but the computer from which I check the boards is my father's, so I've generally been eschewing DLing big files on it. Perhaps tomorrow I'll hook up my laptop and get to downloading.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2004, 01:37:30 am »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
I actually would like to DL them, as I have not yet heard any Pixies

?!
::faints::
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2004, 03:18:27 am »

Yes, I know, there is something horribly wrong with me. But I want to fix that! Tomorrow I shall!
Logged

TALKYdude

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 166
    • View Profile
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2004, 03:59:08 am »

OMG, V-Adore.
eMusic fans, how come they're so cool? I thought iTMS was the only good music store. Administrator, please hope me.
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2004, 04:07:10 am »

Quote from: "TALKYdude"
Administrator, please hope me.


Man, that's esoteric!
Logged
goose means greedy

TALKYdude

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 166
    • View Profile
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #50 on: August 26, 2004, 04:17:18 am »

Quote from: "andalucia"
Quote from: "TALKYdude"
Administrator, please hope me.


Man, that's esoteric!


Heh heh heh. I want a MeFi login so so berry bad. My first day after I get one I'm gonna post about a dozen AxMes.
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #51 on: August 26, 2004, 04:29:21 am »

Me too, man, me too.  I've been lurking there for a long long time.
Logged
goose means greedy

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #52 on: August 26, 2004, 01:05:23 pm »

Quote from: "TALKYdude"
OMG, V-Adore.
eMusic fans, how come they're so cool? I thought iTMS was the only good music store. Administrator, please hope me.

Dang silly person. eM had the whole 99-cent track thing going back in '99, baby! Then they went unlimited! Then to VBR tracks instead of 128kbps! Whoo!

Plus you can play them anywhere because they're regular mp3's. DRM is teh suk.
Logged

TALKYdude

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 166
    • View Profile
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #53 on: August 26, 2004, 01:51:13 pm »

Really! I had no idea they were DRM-free, I was waiting for the list of bennies followed by "but they're wma files" so I could snort. Cool.
UNLIMITED? *see ya in a minute or two, I gotta check out emusic.com people*
edit to update: not unlimited any more, eh? A 20 spot for 90 songs is pretty cheap though.
Logged

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #54 on: August 26, 2004, 02:17:03 pm »

eMusic is teh r0x0r.  Frank Black.  The Pixies.  Yo La Tengo.  Grandaddy.  Sleater-Kinney.  The New Pornographers.  Cracker.  They Might Be Giants.  Firewater.  Belle and Sebastian.  Apples in Stereo.  At the Drive-In.   Built to Spill. Camper Van Beethovan. George Carlin.  Cat Power. Clem Snide. Tanya Donelly.  Guided By Voices. Interpol. The Kinks. Mogwai. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds. Pavement.  Pizzicato Five. Elliot Smith (poor Elliot Smith! :cry:). Sterolab. Negativland. Tom Waits.

Whenever I see people lamenting how they're bankrupting themselves buying music at the iTMS, I want evangelize eM.  I remember seeing stories about how the Walmart music store was breaking the $.99 per track threshold with $.88 per track, and I'm all like "No, you idiots, eM is $.22 per track!" Anyway, that's what it is if you get the 90 track/$20 subscription, and why wouldn't you?  You can't even buy two CDs for $20, unless they're used.  And, best of all, totally unemcumbered, plain vanilla mp3.
Logged

TALKYdude

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 166
    • View Profile
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #55 on: August 26, 2004, 02:26:24 pm »

Va, wow. I'm an avid fan of about half your list and like but don't love several others, yet have never heard of many of the people you listed. But I like your taste based on the ones I do know. The ones I've never heard of are Firewater, Cracker, Apples in Stereo, Camper Van Beethovan (? LOL at the name. Beethovan?!), Clem Snide, and Tanya Donelly. If you'd like to elaborate on why I should listen to any of those I'm listening, but feel free to tell me to go look up reviews or something.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #56 on: August 26, 2004, 02:39:14 pm »

I've been stuck on the 40 for $9.95 since the downgraded from unlimited. For much of that time I was on extra-shitty dial-up (26k!) and was lucky to actually DL 5 a month. But now that I'm on cable and getting more into the indie stuff I might up my account.

You'd think being a member since fuck*ng 1999 would earn me a discount or something. But hey, I got a free autographed copy of Mink Car, a free copy of Working Undercover for the Man, and a free TMBG fleece pullover out of the deal so I guess I shouldn't bitch too much.

Va, don't forget George Carlin and Lewis Black. Plus they have a lot of techno/electronic like DJ Tiesto, Wildchild, Timo Maas, etc. And punk, especially compilations like Punk-O-Rama. Not to mention the Matador records 2-disc comp. Ooo, and pre-major-label Hives. Which is awesome since A.K.A. I-D-I-O-T is their best song.*

And if they used DRM I'd be fucked because then I couldn't use them on JstrPod and that would just be silly.



*unless you're Zartan, in which case Walk Idiot Walk is better because of it's new in-joke value
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #57 on: August 26, 2004, 02:53:10 pm »

Quote from: "TALKYdude"
Va, wow. I'm an avid fan of about half your list and like but don't love several others, yet have never heard of many of the people you listed. But I like your taste based on the ones I do know. The ones I've never heard of are Firewater, Cracker, Apples in Stereo, Camper Van Beethovan (? LOL at the name. Beethovan?!), Clem Snide, and Tanya Donelly. If you'd like to elaborate on why I should listen to any of those I'm listening, but feel free to tell me to go look up reviews or something.


I'd highly recommend looking into Clem Snide and Camper van Beethoven.  And, whoa, Va, that list really makes me want to look into this Music thingy.  But I think that, being amoral and a student, I'll stick with piracy for the time being.  Still, it makes me happy to know that it is possible to buy mp3s of good bands.
Logged
goose means greedy

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #58 on: August 26, 2004, 03:01:48 pm »

eMusic Live looks pretty cool too. I'm waiting for the 9:30 to actually get up and running so I can do some mad phat DLing
Logged

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #59 on: August 26, 2004, 03:28:23 pm »

Quote from: "TALKYdude"
The ones I've never heard of are Firewater, Cracker, Apples in Stereo, Camper Van Beethovan (? LOL at the name. Beethovan?!), Clem Snide, and Tanya Donelly. If you'd like to elaborate on why I should listen to any of those I'm listening, but feel free to tell me to go look up reviews or something.


Tanya Donnelly was an alterna-rock-chixor prodigy.  i believe she was the niece of what's her name in Throwing Muses, of whome she was a member.  North-East band, centerred out of Rhode Island.  Tanya apparently got sick of back-ground vocals and guitar work, and helped form The Breeders with Ms. Deal of Pixes fame.  Around that time Tanya put out an album with her "hit single" "Feed the Trees".  remember, this was the early 90s, when alterna-chixors were the bizomb.  (of course, in my world, they still are).  I remember the "Feed the Trees" single fondly, because it was featured on an Absolut Vodka Alterna Rock cd sampler.  this cd, of course, was intrinsically cool in high school, because it was "NEW MUSIC" and was related to "VODKA"!  Since those halcyon days of the 90s, she's put out at least one other album with her band "Belly" that didn't totally suck.  of the early 90s alterna-chixors, she never was my favorite, though, and i have lost touch with her music.

Cracker i first heard about in college, and got to see live.  they were pretty good.  i think they played with Diggable Planets, but that was when i first started drinking, so i don't recall much clearly.  They had a rather "hit" single in those days, wherein the video featured that annoying actress who won jeopardy in White Men Can't Jump, boxing the lead singer guy from Cracker.  The video was in black and white, so, i guess, it was cool.  The college i went to was Macintosh Only, and i remember that the Macs were coming with "free" videos from Apple, to show off the capabilites of the "cool" computers that everyone except me ordered (i got the LCIII with the B&W monitor.  i hate pre-sales support.  i hate them, i hate them, i hate them).  I believe the Cracker video came on that disk.  the song, i think, was entitled "Low", and went something like "low, low, mumble" with other words as well.  It was a fun alterna-rock-90s song, with no chixors except in the video.

Camper Van Beethoven, i found out years later from my "golf playing" roomate, was the guy from Cracker's first band.  some very good songs, apparently.

I don't know these other people you speak of.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up