Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Barely passed Oregon driver's test. Lots of rules about Yielding to the Distraught and slow-moving salmon trucks on one-way switchbacks.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?  (Read 18480 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #75 on: August 26, 2004, 06:32:58 pm »

Boo earbuds.


These were my headphones and my Favourite Possession until my friend stepped on them.  Now I have no headphones at all.
Logged
goose means greedy

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #76 on: August 26, 2004, 06:35:03 pm »

I have one of those godforsaken bluetooth Jabra things. And yea, they hurt like hell. No point sticking it in to drive for 2 hours, when I constantly readjust it to stop the agony. Plus it blocks out an ear of music hearing...

I really want to get an mp3 player now that they are getting to a decent storage size. Problem is, buying a 40gb is well, still a bit expensive (considering for the price of one I'm getting a new tank fitted to my car), and is on the line of enough space for me.
I have about 48Gb of music now, and that is not enough. I do get urges to listen to most of the stuff I own, and would like to just have the complete folder on a player. Then again, the other option is to find a good 20gb one and update it when I go places...
Until I decide, I try to save.

Oh, and I didn't even get onto the headphones issue.
I despise earbuds. I used them for ages with my old walkman, but then realised how bad they sounded. I now swear by these Sony wraparounds I found - the kind that go round the back of your neck. They have the bass that earbuds desperately lack, and are comfortable for long periods. Plus, they don't look as dumb as the over the head kind!
Oh, and they don't interfere with my shades too much.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #77 on: August 26, 2004, 07:14:14 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
I also have a pair of Sennheiser wireless that I use to listen to DVDs late at night or while I am cooking (commentary tracks).

Me too. I tend to use them while loud machinery is going (like the washer) because otherwise I have to turn the TV up too loud and risk neighbor complaints.

Quote from: "slink"
I despise earbuds. I used them for ages with my old walkman, but then realised how bad they sounded. I now swear by these Sony wraparounds I found - the kind that go round the back of your neck. They have the bass that earbuds desperately lack, and are comfortable for long periods. Plus, they don't look as dumb as the over the head kind!

That's what I use too. I have a pair where the wrap-around is solid plastic that I use for skating and such and a pair where it's just a wire that connects them that I keep at work. That way I can easily remove just one side if the phone rings or somebody walks up to me.
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #78 on: August 28, 2004, 03:59:24 am »

Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Va, no "Alec Eiffel"? That song has "gateway drug" written all over it.


That guitar.  That keyboard.

That last minute and a half is one of the finest moments in rock and roll.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #79 on: August 28, 2004, 04:21:08 am »

That "Hey Alexander I see you beneath the archway of aerodynamics" line at the end is just basically like MUSICAL fuck*ng HEAVEN.

I had that on near constant repeat when it first came out, when I had just started college.

Good times.

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #80 on: August 31, 2004, 01:43:32 pm »

Someone mentioned Camper Van's cover of "Pictures of Matchstick Men" above; Cracker does a bitchin' cover of it, too, but I never realized it was not their song.  I'm wondering whose it is. A web search yielded two possibilities: some band called "The Status Quo" (never heard of 'em) and Ozzy Osbourne (rock!).  Which is it?
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #81 on: August 31, 2004, 02:31:15 pm »

Quote from: "Va"
Someone mentioned Camper Van's cover of "Pictures of Matchstick Men" above; Cracker does a bitchin' cover of it, too, but I never realized it was not their song.  I'm wondering whose it is. A web search yielded two possibilities: some band called "The Status Quo" (never heard of 'em) and Ozzy Osbourne (rock!).  Which is it?


Cracker actually is, more or less, Camper Van Beethoven; same frontsman, some of the same members, etc. The song is originally by The Status Quo; the original song is sort of a trippy garage rock thing.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #82 on: August 31, 2004, 03:18:48 pm »

Quote from: "Bozack"
The song is originally by The Status Quo; the original song is sort of a trippy garage rock thing.


Yeah, I was really disappointed when I heard the original.
I am, however, very excited to hear the new CvB album.
Logged
goose means greedy

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #83 on: August 31, 2004, 03:32:58 pm »

If you're a C[amp|rack]er fan, you really need an eMusic subscription.
Logged

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #84 on: August 31, 2004, 03:55:23 pm »

Quote from: "Bozack"
Quote from: "Va"
Someone mentioned Camper Van's cover of "Pictures of Matchstick Men" above; Cracker does a bitchin' cover of it, too, but I never realized it was not their song.  I'm wondering whose it is. A web search yielded two possibilities: some band called "The Status Quo" (never heard of 'em) and Ozzy Osbourne (rock!).  Which is it?


Cracker actually is, more or less, Camper Van Beethoven; same frontsman, some of the same members, etc.


http://achewood.plagiarist.com/viewtopic.php?p=23860#23860
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #85 on: September 23, 2004, 04:11:35 pm »

CD101 in Columbus just started playing a new Camper song: 51/7 is hella sweetness.  They're also good enough to play other CVB, Cracker, Pixies, and Frank Black songs on a regular basis.

I'm going to the Pixies show in Columbus on October 4th.  I got 4th row, center of house seats.  Nice.
Logged

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #86 on: October 21, 2004, 12:28:58 am »

Comment allez vous, motherfuckers?

Here's an ass-kicking Pixies show from this past summer in France.
Logged

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #87 on: October 22, 2004, 09:06:26 pm »

That's a great show, thanks!

"Bone Machine", "Hey", "Number 13, Baby", "Dead", "Mr. Grieves", "Broken Face", "Tame", "Vamos"; all the old favorites make a return!

Also, this thread reminds me that I've had tickets to the NJ shows for a good couple months now and the show is still almost 2 months away. *sigh*
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #88 on: October 22, 2004, 09:27:31 pm »

Yeah, I didn't get tickets because I feared that they'd suck, but this show sounds pretty good.  

Also, I just seem to have noticed today that Jane's Addiction put out a new album last year.  Where the fuck was I and why did no one mention this to me?

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #89 on: October 22, 2004, 10:23:12 pm »

It was actually mentioned in the last Pixies thread, most of which you missed.  

The record itself was a widescreen Technicolor explosion of rock, which was meant to obscure the fact that they've completely forgotten how to write a memorable song.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up