Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Ray Smuckles pours one out for Tiger's '09 Escalade. "Shit didn't have to be that way, Tiger. You coulda' taken the damn Buick."

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?  (Read 18477 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #90 on: October 22, 2004, 10:36:43 pm »

Yeah, I heard them do a few new songs when they reunion toured and they were awful - even the old songs were just going through the motions.

I either didn't notice or just forgot that they had released a new album long long after that tour, though (the tour was what, 1998? and the album 2003) which I'm downloading now (courtesy of AllOfMP3.com, which is awesome).

Anyway, I'd love to see a new Pixies album.  I've been buying the Frank Black solo albums and with the exception of anything that says "And the Catholics" on it I've liked them all.  The Cult of Ray is kicking in my playlist RIGHT NOW.

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #91 on: October 22, 2004, 10:41:23 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
(courtesy of AllOfMP3.com, which is awesome).


Quote from: "jough"
Dude, I said LEGIT.

I would not give these people my CC#.  Puh-lease.



ya, it's a handy site.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #92 on: October 22, 2004, 10:56:57 pm »

Quote from: "Limmo"

The record itself was a widescreen Technicolor explosion of rock, which was meant to obscure the fact that they've completely forgotten how to write a memorable song.


Which is bizarre, because Perry Farrell's solo album Song Yet to be Sung, I think, is really good. And definitely shows that he didn't lose his writing talent completely.
I need to check the writing credits, but I would reckon it'd be mostly Navarro's fault, as his solo career was fuck*ng AWFUL! It was just pop drivel of the worst, most overproduced kind.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #93 on: October 23, 2004, 06:04:20 am »

Quote from: "Limmo"
Comment allez vous, motherfuckers?

Here's an ass-kicking Pixies show from this past summer in France.


Oooh good stuff!  thanks!
I only have one Pixies album, so it was nice to hear some of the stuff I hadn't heard...
it took me all day (dialup), but I dled it all darnit.

Perhaps I'll link it on my lj... yes...
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

Jay!

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12
    • View Profile
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #94 on: October 23, 2004, 08:53:22 am »

I guess I'm getting to this thread a little late, but I'd like to mention that I did just see the Pixies in concert.  The played at the Greek Theater outside my dorm room and they rocked so hard that it is difficult to comprehend, let alone describe.

I also saw them at Coachella, and they did a lot of rocking there too, albeit for a lesser period of time.  Plus, I was kind of waiting for Radiohead and standing on one of my best friends, so I enjoyed them less.
Logged
Adjö!

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #95 on: October 23, 2004, 08:19:38 pm »

Quote from: "Limmo"
Comment allez vous, motherfuckers?

Here's an ass-kicking Pixies show from this past summer in France.


LIMMO IS A GOD AMONGST MEN.

thank you for the music.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #96 on: October 24, 2004, 12:41:54 am »

Quote from: "arkabee"
Quote from: "jough"
(courtesy of AllOfMP3.com, which is awesome).


Quote from: "jough"
Dude, I said LEGIT.
I would not give these people my CC#.  Puh-lease.


ya, it's a handy site.


Yeah, I got sucked in by them having a few albums that I had a hard time finding even in record stores.

I decided to go with them when I saw that they now use CyberPlat for their CC processing which means that AllOfMP3 won't ever see my credit card number.

Plus, I found the joy that is pre-paid disposable credit cards, for one-time use glee.  No more identity theft for me.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #97 on: October 24, 2004, 02:39:44 am »

Quote from: "arkabee"

LIMMO IS A GOD AMONGST MEN.

thank you for the music.


You're right, and you're welcome.

(Though some credit must go to large-hearted boy. Okay, all the credit. )
Logged

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #98 on: October 25, 2004, 03:22:49 pm »

The "Frank Black Francis" record is truly the limit.  Get it just to see what he looked like before he got all puffy.
Logged

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #99 on: October 26, 2004, 05:51:10 pm »

I am seeing them during one of their 72 November Chicago shows. Looking forward to it.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #100 on: October 27, 2004, 07:28:31 pm »

Kim is a little puffy, and Frank has gotten really big (and I didn't know he was so short!), but I have to say Joey looked hot.
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #101 on: October 27, 2004, 08:07:09 pm »

Today marks the one-month pre-anniversary of me seeing the Pixies.

*bows*

It's going to be a cold almost-December day when I line up outside all day in order to be right up front, though.
Logged
goose means greedy

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #102 on: November 29, 2004, 05:21:51 pm »

And that day came, and it wasn't so cold, but I didn't even have to line up to be three feet from Frank Black.   I did, however, have to fight like crazy to stay there.  I'm covered in grotesque bruises and my wallet got stolen, so I've got no cash, ID, or metro pass, but it was soooo worth it.
Logged
goose means greedy

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #103 on: November 29, 2004, 05:26:27 pm »

Quote from: "andalucia"
And that day came, and it wasn't so cold, but I didn't even have to line up to be three feet from Frank Black.   I did, however, have to fight like crazy to stay there.  I'm covered in grotesque bruises and my wallet got stolen, so I've got no cash, ID, or metro pass, but it was soooo worth it.

Did you ever know that you're my heeeeerooooooooooo?
/Bette Midler
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #104 on: November 29, 2004, 07:03:45 pm »

Quote from: "andalucia"
And that day came, and it wasn't so cold, but I didn't even have to line up to be three feet from Frank Black.   I did, however, have to fight like crazy to stay there.  I'm covered in grotesque bruises and my wallet got stolen, so I've got no cash, ID, or metro pass, but it was soooo worth it.


I saw them most recently at a really nice theatre on campus, reserved seating.  The first time, though, was pretty nuts.  I hate crowds, so I stayed in back.  Luckily there were big screens, so I could be in awe of Frank's fatness from a distance.  I love how the guitar rests on his ample gut.  Plus, he's the best rock vocalist ever.  And I like Kim too.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up