Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Metallica would be a lot less powerful if they ended every show by reciting the ABCs.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?  (Read 18443 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #105 on: November 29, 2004, 11:05:23 pm »

Quote from: "miles"
I saw them most recently at a really nice theatre on campus, reserved seating.  The first time, though, was pretty nuts.  I hate crowds, so I stayed in back.  Luckily there were big screens, so I could be in awe of Frank's fatness from a distance.  I love how the guitar rests on his ample gut.  Plus, he's the best rock vocalist ever.  And I like Kim too.


Yeah, I knew Frank was short and puffy, but man, I didn't know he was that... rotund.  I hadn't been a Kim fan before, grouping her in my mental category of bass-playing Kims with quasiannoying vocals that sorta bring down an awesome band*, but she totally won me over with her chainsmoking, momlike charm.



*that is to say, the category of her and Kim Gordon
Logged
goose means greedy

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #106 on: November 29, 2004, 11:10:37 pm »

Quote from: "andalucia"
Yeah, I knew Frank was short and puffy, but man, I didn't know he was that... rotund.  I hadn't been a Kim fan before, grouping her in my mental category of bass-playing Kims with quasiannoying vocals that sorta bring down an awesome band*, but she totally won me over with her chainsmoking, momlike charm.

So I take it you're not a Breeders fan.
Logged

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #107 on: November 30, 2004, 01:47:16 am »

Quote from: "CortJstr"

So I take it you're not a Breeders fan.


Was there much to be a fan of?
I only know a couple of bits of Breeders, but they didn't seem that interesting, and the one that did got overplayed to hell and back. Damn you Satan!

And I too am envious as hell. Damn you!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #108 on: November 30, 2004, 02:04:48 am »

Aww, come on, man, "Driving On" is basically like the musical version hugging a cute girl who works in a bookstore.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #109 on: November 30, 2004, 02:11:25 am »

I would like to add that I, too, like the Breeders. "Driving On" is what alt-country should sound like.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #110 on: November 30, 2004, 01:44:03 pm »

Quote from: "Bozack"
Aww, come on, man, "Driving On" is basically like the musical version hugging a cute girl who works in a bookstore.


OK. I shall check it out, as I don't have that track.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #111 on: November 30, 2004, 03:13:08 pm »

That's "Drivin' on 9".

/pedantry
Logged

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #112 on: November 30, 2004, 03:36:42 pm »

pod is the superior alt-rock-chixor album since tanya donnely trumps the other deal sister.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #113 on: November 30, 2004, 05:55:10 pm »

Quote from: "Va"
That's "Drivin' on 9".

/pedantry

D'oh! Ya got me, Va.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #114 on: November 30, 2004, 06:17:13 pm »

Quote from: "Va"
That's "Drivin' on 9".

/pedantry


OK. Wow. I love it.
I've never quite made up my mind on Deal's voice. I mean, with the Pixies fine, but this track has me convinced. The bass line reminds me of something but I cannot think what - a Cake track I think, somewhat unsurprisingly.*
But well, the whole folky style with the violins - always loved. Some of my favourite Mark Lanegan is the really folky stuff with fiddles and all.
And I see what you mean Bozack. It's quite a dream!


Aha. It's when the bass first comes in, that little riff, and it makes me think of the bass riff from Alienation's for the Rich. So not Cake but I figured it was close.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #115 on: December 08, 2004, 06:08:37 am »

Saw them Sunday in Jersey at the Tweeter Center. My seats were actually better than I expected, and I thought they played an awesome show. A lot of the live stuff I had heard from this tour left me underwhelmed, so I was pleasantly suprised to hear them really rock it.

Memorable Moments:
    Frank decided he was feeling "emotional" that night and so he played the first few songs acoustic

    They played "Head On" twice in a row because Kim said she was in the wrong key the first time

    I was wearing my green Ray hoodie and a cute member of the opposite sex recognized it, so we chatted about the comic and blogs for a little while

    Vamos!

    The encore of Debaser was also great


All-in-all I give it an "AAAA+++++++++ Would Do Business Again"
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #116 on: December 08, 2004, 03:48:15 pm »

It's kinda cute that they apparently have a schtick that recurs throughout their various shows this tour: when I saw them they played Monkey Gone To Heaven twice, acoustic the second time.  
Did Dave and Frank also throw the drumsticks back and forth?  They did that here, and in Hull where most of my friends saw them.

And yeah, add me to the list of people completely won over by "Drivin' on 9".
Logged
goose means greedy

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #117 on: December 08, 2004, 03:52:22 pm »

They played "Palace of the Brine" twice at the show we saw.

EDIT:  No they didn't, they played "Wave of Mutilation" twice.  I don't know what I was thinking.
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #118 on: December 08, 2004, 06:01:37 pm »

Quote from: "Va"
They played "Palace of the Brine" twice at the show we saw.


They didn't play that here in Salt Lake.  I wasn't disappointed or anything, but I think a lot of people expected it.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

sjlimmer

  • Illegal Ghost Bikes
  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 317
  • Insert witty remark here...
    • View Profile
Anyone else going to see the Pixies this year?
« Reply #119 on: December 08, 2004, 08:18:03 pm »

Quote from: "miles"
Quote from: "Va"
They played "Palace of the Brine" twice at the show we saw.


They didn't play that here in Salt Lake.  I wasn't disappointed or anything, but I think a lot of people expected it.


That's particularly disappointing, given that SLC radio played the hell out of that song when Trompe le Monde came out.  

I keep reading this thread to remind myself what a dumb-ass I am for missing their nearest show in October....
Logged
"That's because you're a mean drunk, and nobody loves you."
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up