Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that there is no way to put a picture of a pug in the News Box?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: four shits - Aug. 23/04  (Read 14788 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: I hope I (and my hosting) doesn't regret this....
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2004, 02:13:37 pm »

Quote from: "richter"
Behold, Jason Alexander's McDLT commercial


Wow, he's so enthusiastic.  It's like, he'd been waiting all his life, unsatisfied with other burgers and their limp, sad lettuce, and then the clouds parted.  And then he had to tell everybody about it.

Really, for me the generational divide is defined in two ways:

1) did you collect Garbage Pail Kid stickers and own a Cabbage Patch Kid at the same time?

2) did you watch Sesame Street when Snuffie the Snuffleuppugus was only Big Bird's imaginary friend, or after when everybody knew he existed?
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
Re: I hope I (and my hosting) doesn't regret this....
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2004, 02:31:03 pm »

Quote from: "side_show"
1) did you collect Garbage Pail Kid stickers and own a Cabbage Patch Kid at the same time?

2) did you watch Sesame Street when Snuffie the Snuffleuppugus was only Big Bird's imaginary friend, or after when everybody knew he existed?


Yes and yes.  I guess I fit in your arbitrary classification.  What was it again?
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
four shits - Aug. 23/04
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2004, 02:58:25 pm »

Jesus, Jason Alexander has been a professional fast food asshole for as long as I've been alive.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: I hope I (and my hosting) doesn't regret this....
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2004, 03:00:45 pm »

Quote from: "Va"
Quote from: "side_show"
1) did you collect Garbage Pail Kid stickers and own a Cabbage Patch Kid at the same time?

2) did you watch Sesame Street when Snuffie the Snuffleuppugus was only Big Bird's imaginary friend, or after when everybody knew he existed?


Yes and yes.  I guess I fit in your arbitrary classification.  What was it again?


Congratulations, you win a prize!

Eeek!  Yet another contemporary who's having a wee bairne!  Thank god I took the batteries out of my maternal clock!
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
Re: I hope I (and my hosting) doesn't regret this....
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2004, 03:15:03 pm »

Quote from: "richter"
Behold, Jason Alexander's McDLT commercial


I literally cringed in my chair with empathic embarrassment watching this. It's so hard to believe that this was actually considered A Thing To Do within my own lifetime. This video is an ampoule of cultural humility. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Having said that, I love that open-mouthed, sassy-pointing "hot-cha!" face he does whenever the chorus kicks in.
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: I hope I (and my hosting) doesn't regret this....
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2004, 03:26:59 pm »

Quote from: "side_show"
1) did you collect Garbage Pail Kid stickers and own a Cabbage Patch Kid at the same time?

2) did you watch Sesame Street when Snuffie the Snuffleuppugus was only Big Bird's imaginary friend, or after when everybody knew he existed?


OK, I owned a Cabbage Patch Kid before I remember my friend collecting Garbage Pail Kid stickers.  I think I had outgrown 'Ralph' by the time the stickers started showing up.  What does that mean?

And yes on two.

Apparently I'm old enough to remember the McD.L.T. or whatever it is, at least according to a few slightly younger friends.  But I don't.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
four shits - Aug. 23/04
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2004, 04:35:49 pm »

While we're at it, anybody want Arby's pepper bacon?

And I thought it was Bill Bill Maher who pimped for the McDLT for some reason.
Logged

richter

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5
    • View Profile
    • http://www.permutation.org
Re: I hope I (and my hosting) doesn't regret this....
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2004, 04:46:31 pm »

Quote from: "St_Zartan"

Having said that, I love that open-mouthed, sassy-pointing "hot-cha!" face he does whenever the chorus kicks in.


Yah, I can't stop saying "Hot Beefy". The scary thing is, Jason's clothing is the least "I'm embarassed for you" inducing. BTW, anybody know if that's a toupee? Seems he was full on bald not that much longer after this was made.
Logged
i'll get linda blair all up in this biznatch

doomglobe

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 35
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 410
    • View Profile
    • doom globe
four shits - Aug. 23/04
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2004, 05:19:50 pm »

Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Quote from: "Asherdan"
As a generational dividing line this is priceless to me.

(Another good dividing line would be calculator watches.)


the dividing line is 1983. that was the year I taught my sister to hunt for mice...
with a fork...


in the electrical outlet...
Logged
[expletive deleted]

Gunn

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 9
    • View Profile
    • http://www.notasource.com
four shits - Aug. 23/04
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2004, 05:41:20 pm »

So I googled it, and the McDLT was apparently premeired in 1985.  That would mean I was born in the year of the McDLT, so which side of the divide do I fall on?

Not that It really matters, as I have no intention of stomping around acting all punk rock any time in the near future.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: I hope I (and my hosting) doesn't regret this....
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2004, 05:51:14 pm »

Quote from: "side_show"
Quote from: "richter"
Behold, Jason Alexander's McDLT commercial


Wow, he's so enthusiastic.  It's like, he'd been waiting all his life, unsatisfied with other burgers and their limp, sad lettuce, and then the clouds parted.  And then he had to tell everybody about it.

Really, for me the generational divide is defined in two ways:

1) did you collect Garbage Pail Kid stickers and own a Cabbage Patch Kid at the same time?

2) did you watch Sesame Street when Snuffie the Snuffleuppugus was only Big Bird's imaginary friend, or after when everybody knew he existed?


1)  No.

2)  I watched Sesame Street in its first season, pre-Snuffy.  Herbert Birdsfoot was still around, as was the first Gordon.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: I hope I (and my hosting) doesn't regret this....
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2004, 06:20:00 pm »

Dear God, I just watched it again.  It's like a train wreck, and I can't stop gawking.  

Quote from: "miles"
OK, I owned a Cabbage Patch Kid before I remember my friend collecting Garbage Pail Kid stickers.  I think I had outgrown 'Ralph' by the time the stickers started showing up.  What does that mean?


Oh yes, I was the same way.  The Garbage Pail Kids stickers were riding the Cabage Patch Kid backlash wave.  Constace Rachel was already on a dusty shelf when I started collecting the stickers.  There are new Garbage Pail Kids for sale at the local 7-11, we bought some just a little while ago, but they're not quite as detailed as the originals.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

V-Adore

  • Guest
four shits - Aug. 23/04
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2004, 07:07:41 pm »

I recall being really repulsed by the Garbage Pail Kids, which means I was probably way too young for them. (Not that I was ever super-in to Katie Libby, despite the fact that my aunt FOUGHT OUT AND SWEATED BLOOD FOR THIS DOLL SO YOU HAD BETTER BE GRATEFUL, but still.) I have very few memories of Sesame Street, but I think Snuffy was real by the time I watched.

This McDLT commercial is... holy shit. Jesus God. JASON ALEXANDER'S BEAUTIFUL ICE CREAM SUIT. JESUS!

(It scares me to think that Jason Alexander has been a fast-food shill for almost as long as I've been alive. Wonder and terror.)
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
four shits - Aug. 23/04
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2004, 07:11:44 pm »

The key to Garbage Pail Kids was that you never, ever, removed the sticker from the card backing. Lest the other children mock and spit upon you.

When I watched Snuffy was indeed real his timing was just bad so that nobody but BB ever actually saw him.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
four shits - Aug. 23/04
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2004, 07:39:01 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
The key to Garbage Pail Kids was that you never, ever, removed the sticker from the card backing. Lest the other children mock and spit upon you.

When I watched Snuffy was indeed real his timing was just bad so that nobody but BB ever actually saw him.


Wow, Cort, I always thought you were somehow much older than me, but you are indeed my contemporary, and I tip my hat to you.

And Gunn, if you were born the year the McDLT was invented you are one of them, not one of us.  Sorry dude, it's the line in the sand.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up