Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

No, Philippe! Too soon!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: four shits - Aug. 23/04  (Read 14817 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: I hope I (and my hosting) doesn't regret this....
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2004, 08:08:49 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "side_show"


Wow, he's so enthusiastic.  It's like, he'd been waiting all his life, unsatisfied with other burgers and their limp, sad lettuce, and then the clouds parted.  And then he had to tell everybody about it.

Really, for me the generational divide is defined in two ways:

1) did you collect Garbage Pail Kid stickers and own a Cabbage Patch Kid at the same time?

2) did you watch Sesame Street when Snuffie the Snuffleuppugus was only Big Bird's imaginary friend, or after when everybody knew he existed?


1)  No.

2)  I watched Sesame Street in its first season, pre-Snuffy.  Herbert Birdsfoot was still around, as was the first Gordon.



August wins simply for remembering Matt Robinson. He died in his sleep in 2002 after a long battle with Parkinson's disease. In addition to Gordon, he was also the voice of Roosevelt Franklin, my favorite apparently ethnic muppet.  He was also one of the original writers for the Cosby show, Sanford and Son and Eight is Enough.  Roscoe Ormond has been Gordon since 1972.

Sesame Street was an exhibit at the Chicago Children's Museum a few years ago. They set up the 123 Sesame Street Stoop and Oscars Garbage Can and Big Bird's Nest. There were cameras and monitors around so you could see yourself on Sesame Street. It was awesome.

There was also history of the show, and scripts and the curricula that went with the scripts. Sesame Street is still, 30+ years later, considered ''experimental television'. It started out as a head-start funded program to prepare 3-5 year olds for kindergarten.


Pesonally, my line in the sand would be if you watched "Family Ties" regularly. What the hell ever happened to 'Skippy', anyway? Is he sharing an apartment with the guy who played Long Duck Dong on Sixteen Candles, both waiting for their next big break?

My answers would be

1) Hell no and no
2) Yes, and thanks to the wonder of human procreation I still do.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
four shits - Aug. 23/04
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2004, 08:14:09 pm »

I've found that nobody even my age (which is 25 for those of you who thought I was a geezer) remembers the Electric Company or 3-2-1 Contact. Not even the live-action Spider-Man shorts or the non-boob-related Bloodhound Gang.

I'm I the crazy one who's making shit up or do my friends just have crap for memories?

Also: Square One represent!
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
four shits - Aug. 23/04
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2004, 08:17:45 pm »

*ahem*

I am one of the younger ones here (almost 21 -- go me), but I distinctly remember the Bloodhound Gang before "Bad Touch." I sort of liked it. Also, 3-2-1 Contact and Square One ruled my childhood, although I hated Mathman because he never, ever won.

Man, I wish I knew where my old Mathnet poster got to. That was the shit.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
four shits - Aug. 23/04
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2004, 08:21:00 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
*ahem*

I am one of the younger ones here (almost 21 -- go me), but I distinctly remember the Bloodhound Gang before "Bad Touch." I sort of liked it. Also, 3-2-1 Contact and Square One ruled my childhood, although I hated Mathman because he never, ever won.

Man, I wish I knew where my old Mathnet poster got to. That was the shit.

Mathman totally won sometimes. He's do a little flip and the tornado would get all dejected. The voiceover announced a free game.

And just to be anal, The Bad Touch was off their 3rd album. Besides, Fire Water Burn got ca-razy radio play when it was new.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
four shits - Aug. 23/04
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2004, 08:24:02 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
*ahem*

I am one of the younger ones here (almost 21 -- go me), but I distinctly remember the Bloodhound Gang before "Bad Touch." I sort of liked it. Also, 3-2-1 Contact and Square One ruled my childhood, although I hated Mathman because he never, ever won.

Man, I wish I knew where my old Mathnet poster got to. That was the shit.

Mathman totally won sometimes. He's do a little flip and the tornado would get all dejected. The voiceover announced a free game.

And just to be anal, The Bad Touch was off their 3rd album. Besides, Fire Water Burn got ca-razy radio play when it was new.

Well, okay, even pre-"the roof, the roof, the roof is on fire." You know, the Bloodhound Gang who were on PBS and solved crimes? Them. Not the ones who sang Fire Water Burn.

I think I recall maybe one episode where Mathman won. However, keep in mind that after a while I had the habit if hiding behind the recliner and closing my eyes real tight when Mathman came on, so I probably missed a few.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
four shits - Aug. 23/04
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2004, 08:37:41 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Well, okay, even pre-"the roof, the roof, the roof is on fire." You know, the Bloodhound Gang who were on PBS and solved crimes? Them. Not the ones who sang Fire Water Burn.

I think I recall maybe one episode where Mathman won. However, keep in mind that after a while I had the habit if hiding behind the recliner and closing my eyes real tight when Mathman came on, so I probably missed a few.

I know which BHG you meant.

I had this same reaction whenever that damn singing group from Where In The World Is Carmen Sandiego came on. God I hated them. I want to hurt things just thinking about that damn song.
Logged

TALKYdude

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 166
    • View Profile
four shits - Aug. 23/04
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2004, 08:45:07 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
I've found that nobody even my age (which is 25 for those of you who thought I was a geezer) remembers the Electric Company or 3-2-1 Contact. I'm I the crazy one who's making shit up or do my friends just have crap for memories?
I remember those! Electric Company and 3-2-1 Contact, that is.
My parents were cheap, they would never get me a subscription. I had to read them at the library.
Your friends have crap for memories...they need a meatspace CortJstr'ing.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
four shits - Aug. 23/04
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2004, 08:51:56 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
You know, the Bloodhound Gang who were on PBS and solved crimes? Them. Not the ones who sang Fire Water Burn.


I vividly remember the Bloodhound Gang, who were always part of a PBS double feature with the Edison Twins.  I even remember part of the Edison Twins theme song: "Well up the street, and around the bend, you'll find the Edison Twins."  Using your knowledge of science to solve crimes?  Roast Beef would approve.  Also, that show with the guy in the leotard that made him look like we could see his internal organs, except he had a genital lump that always distracted me in my precocious youth.  Some kind of a health show.  Someone help me out here, what was that show?  I seem to have a memory of him living inside another human body, which makes no sense since he was a sort of see-through human himself.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
four shits - Aug. 23/04
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2004, 09:10:21 pm »

I'm 27 and I used to have a subscription to the Electric Company magazine.  I remember the original Bloodhound Gang (Whenever there's trouble, we're there on the double) and I thought Dirk Niblick and the Math Brigade was some funny stuff.

I had a Cabbage Patch Kid because my parents probably thought I'd be stunted emotionally if I didn't get one the year all my cousins did.  If it turns out that they got me some yarn-haired, plastic-headed teddy bear instead of the Transormer construction equipment that could all join together to make one big *****, I'm going to be hell of pissed.

On topic, what bands have made themselves famous simply by covering songs from Disintegration?  Am I missing something?  I agree with the Tears for Fears thing, though.  That Mad World cover is six kinds of lousy.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
four shits - Aug. 23/04
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2004, 09:44:00 pm »

Quote from: "side_show"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
You know, the Bloodhound Gang who were on PBS and solved crimes? Them. Not the ones who sang Fire Water Burn.


I vividly remember the Bloodhound Gang, who were always part of a PBS double feature with the Edison Twins.  I even remember part of the Edison Twins theme song: "Well up the street, and around the bend, you'll find the Edison Twins."  Using your knowledge of science to solve crimes?  Roast Beef would approve.  Also, that show with the guy in the leotard that made him look like we could see his internal organs, except he had a genital lump that always distracted me in my precocious youth.  Some kind of a health show.  Someone help me out here, what was that show?  I seem to have a memory of him living inside another human body, which makes no sense since he was a sort of see-through human himself.


You mean Slim Goodbody?
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
four shits - Aug. 23/04
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2004, 09:46:10 pm »

So did you guys just get the magazines and not watch the shows or what?
Logged

TALKYdude

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 166
    • View Profile
four shits - Aug. 23/04
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2004, 09:58:26 pm »

Never seen the shows, me.
Logged

Mantonio

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 423
    • View Profile
four shits - Aug. 23/04
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2004, 11:23:07 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
So did you guys just get the magazines and not watch the shows or what?


I vaguely remember the 3-2-1 contact tv show, but I did have a magazine subscription during the "Time Team" era.  

Now, who here remember's The Polka-Dot Door?
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
four shits - Aug. 23/04
« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2004, 01:02:40 am »

Quote from: "Mantonio"
Now, who here remember's The Polka-Dot Door?


Now that is within my time.
Logged
goose means greedy

V-Adore

  • Guest
four shits - Aug. 23/04
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2004, 01:40:45 am »

The Polka-Dot Door owned my very early childhood. I remember virtually nothing about it except that I loved it.

God, nostalgia!
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up