Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I shouldn't have to tell people not to hit me on the head nearly so often as I do.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: four shits - Aug. 23/04  (Read 14825 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
four shits - Aug. 23/04
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2004, 01:43:52 am »

Man, Square One Television.

I CAN'T be the only one who sees glimpses of courtrooms on TV and wants to jump up and yell, "That is NOT George Earnest Frankly!"

Although the part where he pulled off the latex facemask from the head of the criminal was a little freaky for me.
Logged

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
four shits - Aug. 23/04
« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2004, 03:41:42 am »

Quote from: "richter"
I hope I (and my hosting) doesn't regret this...


Yeah, this "internet" sure works fast. Less than twelve hours after you posted this link ("Behold, Jason Alexander's McDLT commercial") - you uploaded the video to your own space, yes? for this thread? - and suddenly you're on Metafilter.

So yeah, your bandwidth is probably already fucked. Welcome to the board.

EDIT: The Hot-Steppin' Solid Rold Gold Miami Sandwich Singers can also be found here. Give Richter a break, people.
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
four shits - Aug. 23/04
« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2004, 04:20:15 am »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
I've found that nobody even my age (which is 25 for those of you who thought I was a geezer) remembers the Electric Company or 3-2-1 Contact. Not even the live-action Spider-Man shorts or the non-boob-related Bloodhound Gang.

I'm I the crazy one who's making shit up or do my friends just have crap for memories?

Also: Square One represent!


I'm also 25, tend to have crap for a memory, and can't remember the Electric Company or 3-2-1 Contact.  As far as the live-action Spider-Man shorts, no, and no on the Bloodhound Gang.  But the live-action shorts sound pretty cool.

But wait, 3-2-1 Contact, that does sound familiar.  Or maybe I just want so badly to fit in.  I just can't place the concept with the name.

Square One kicked all kinds of ass though.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
four shits - Aug. 23/04
« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2004, 06:09:40 am »

All I have to say to people my age is Fraggle Rock represent, yo.

Anyway, I not only remember when the McD.L.T. was introduced, but I remember McDonald's food before the chicken McNugget, and also finding that the McNugget was disturbingly unrelated to actual chicken in both texture and flavour.

I did really like the sweet and sour sauce, though.  Still do.

V-Adore

  • Guest
four shits - Aug. 23/04
« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2004, 06:32:07 am »

This is a post containing three shameful confessions. I'll cut right to 'em:

Shameful Confession #1: Fraggle Rock absolutely terrified me as a child. Even more than Mathman. I'm still not comfortable with the goddamn Fraggles.

Shameful Confession #2: I have not enjoyed McNuggets nearly as much since they recently started resembling actual chicken.

Shameful Confession #3: Although I was born after the advent of the McDLT, until viewing that commercial, I was profoundly confused by the entire concept. When I heard jokes about it, I assumed that it was somehow referring to hot and colds sides of the actual hamburger, and thus I was gobsmacked by confusion.

(Bonus Shameful Confession: For all of its silliness and Jason-Alexander-in-a-white-suit shillingness, I actually don't think the McDLT is such a horrible idea. I think the cheese should be added to the "hot" side, so that you get a nice meltiness, but I think the basic idea of "lettuce separate from the hamburger so it remains cool and crisp when you start to eat" seems entirely valid as a burger gimmick.)
Logged

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
four shits - Aug. 23/04
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2004, 06:40:16 am »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Shameful Confession #1: Fraggle Rock absolutely terrified me as a child. Even more than Mathman. I'm still not comfortable with the goddamn Fraggles.


If I remember right, there was an episode of Fraggle Rock where one of those mute little greenish builder-drones got straight-up killed because one of the Fraggles was being Young, Wild, and Irresponsible. This upset me so much, I never watched the show again.

Quote from: "V-Adore"
(Bonus Shameful Confession: For all of its silliness and Jason-Alexander-in-a-white-suit shillingness, I actually don't think the McDLT is such a horrible idea.


It was such a not-horrible idea that they brought it back as the "Big N' Tasty", which is basically the McDLT minus the Soviet Space Program packaging and the extra "construction" step. For fast food burgers, they're really quite good indeed. I don't know if I'd be all jumping over hedges and leering at strangers about it; our love affair ended with Nature's one-two punch: I got (relatively) health-conscious and they took it off of the dollar menu.

WHITE SUITS ARE THE 1980'S GOLD STANDARD OF ADVERTISING CREDIBILITY
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
four shits - Aug. 23/04
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2004, 12:56:30 pm »

To fill people in, Electric Company and 3-2-1 Contact were also made by the Children's Television Workshop (who does Sesame Street) and were intended for the next age group up.

I believe EC was for like 5–7 and 321 was for 8–10 or so.

My problem with McNuggets is that I prefer dark meat. White meat chicken is dry and sucky but every food corporation loves to cram it down our throats. So when McNuggets were dark meat that was bleached white they tasted better than when they started making them with actual white meat.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
four shits - Aug. 23/04
« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2004, 01:21:51 pm »

What, am I the Old Man of the Board at 34?  I remember all that crap y'all are talking about and then some.

Someone should have tried to extort some cash from Jason Alexander lest that McDLT ad see the light of day.  Ye gods.  I share V-Adore's confusion as to what was the point of the McDLT's existence.  A burger should be served to you soon enough after cooking that the lettuce and tomato don't get all nasty.  One shouldn't need an elaborate two-sided box to pull this off; just cook my damn burger when I order it and don't let it sit around for five minutes after it's done.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
four shits - Aug. 23/04
« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2004, 01:29:12 pm »

Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
just cook my damn burger when I order it and don't let it sit around for five minutes after it's done.

Please, this was the McDonald's of the 80's we're talking about. The whole reason they didn't do special orders was that you were lucky if your burger was made today let alone 5 minutes ago.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
four shits - Aug. 23/04
« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2004, 01:36:09 pm »

Ah, Electric Company.  Fargo North, Decoder.  Easy Reader.  Letterman.

Any show that has Mel Brooks, Tom Lehrer, Rita Moreno and Morgan Freeman has got something going on.  

Noggin used to show old Electric Company and Sesame Street episodes late at night.  Now they just show fuck*ng Degrassi over and over and over.  Andalucia, if I thought all Canadian highschool kids were really like that, I'd come to Canadia and kick your ass.  Thank you for proving that some of you Are..Rad.

Also, how about Mr. Rogers.  I never cared much for Mr. Rogers as a kid, as least as I recall.  Now, however, I really dig him.  He's got a great message, excellent music on the show and every so often you get to take a tour of the crayon factory or the Play-Do works.  He was a very very good man and we'd all be happier if we followed his advice.

And how could we forget Captain Kangeroo.  The Captain rocked.  Mr. Green Jeans.  Bunny Rabbit.  Mr. Moose.  Dancing Bear.  Ping-Pong Balls.

I miss being Phillippe.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
four shits - Aug. 23/04
« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2004, 01:43:28 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"

Also, how about Mr. Rogers.  I never cared much for Mr. Rogers as a kid, as least as I recall.  Now, however, I really dig him.  He's got a great message, excellent music on the show and every so often you get to take a tour of the crayon factory or the Play-Do works.  He was a very very good man and we'd all be happier if we followed his advice.

And how could we forget Captain Kangeroo.  The Captain rocked.  Mr. Green Jeans.  Bunny Rabbit.  Mr. Moose.  Dancing Bear.  Ping-Pong Balls.

I miss being Phillippe.


word up, Mr. Roger's kicked ass when he actually himself went and talked to actual people who did actual things in actual places.  that was the bestest, because you actually got to see how stuff worked.

um, i can't tell if that seems sarcastic.  i think i need help.  i did not mean it sarcastically, i enjoyed that aspect of Mr. Roger's show.

the puppets were annoying, though.

the Cap'n was cool.  my sister dug on him a lot, though, so i guess i kind of didn't do much with him.

i'm surprised noone's talked about The Bozo Show, wgn in the hizzouse.  to this day i blame my tendency to make fun of people on that show.  those stupid... stupid... kids....  how can you miss the FIRST BUCKET?
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
four shits - Aug. 23/04
« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2004, 02:33:33 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
You mean Slim Goodbody?


That's totally him, and he's all learing at me.  I was going to mention his curly-fro hair, which he seems to somehow streak with hi-lites now.  Ewww.

 
Quote from: "jough"
All I have to say to people my age is Fraggle Rock represent, yo.  


Dude, did you know Fraggle Rock was Canadian?  Infact, I thought it was only shown in Canada until now.  Yes, Jim Henson was a big part of the show, but it was made in Canada, as demonstrated by the embarrassingly Canadian accents of several of the pupeteers, especially Gobo.  My SO and I have several video tapes of Fraggle Rock which he watches while doing the dishes, and we're eagerly awaiting the release of the DVD set.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
four shits - Aug. 23/04
« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2004, 02:58:11 pm »

We used to have a huge in-joke in HS concerning the "secret society" episode of Fraggle Rock.

Linoleum!
Logged

TALKYdude

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 166
    • View Profile
four shits - Aug. 23/04
« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2004, 06:19:53 pm »

Quote from: "arkabee"
i'm surprised noone's talked about The Bozo Show, wgn in the hizzouse.  to this day i blame my tendency to make fun of people on that show.  those stupid... stupid... kids....  how can you miss the FIRST BUCKET?


Oh, man. Tbere goes a misconception. For some reason I always assumed that Bozo was a local, Chicago-only thing

...[realization dawns]...

Oh, that's right. Krusty on the Simpsons. I should have realized Bozo was shown nationally years ago.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
four shits - Aug. 23/04
« Reply #59 on: August 25, 2004, 06:46:38 pm »

Quote from: "TALKYdude"
Oh, that's right. Krusty on the Simpsons. I should have realized Bozo was shown nationally years ago.

Usually on WGN. Which a few years ago finally broke down and started listing their times as eastern instead of central.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up