Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Surprising fact: toothpaste is a complete protein.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: four shits - Aug. 23/04  (Read 14844 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

V-Adore

  • Guest
four shits - Aug. 23/04
« Reply #60 on: August 25, 2004, 06:56:21 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
We used to have a huge in-joke in HS concerning the "secret society" episode of Fraggle Rock.

Linoleum!

This reminds me of the only positive Fraggle-related memory I have: when I was a junior in high school, I had a lot of friends who were in the honor choir. (Mind you, this was actually a prestigious, well-liked organization at my high school, not the Short Train to Ostracization it appears to often be other places.)  For their end-of-the-year big show, the honor choir traditionally divided up into groups, each with its own in-jokey name, theme, and T-shirts. Several friends of mine ended up in a group called...

"Crouching Tiger, Hidden Fraggle."

Their t-shirts had Wembley (I think?) on the back, totally posed to kung-fu some off-camera dude. It was the best thing anybody has ever done with a Fraggle.
Logged

Formica

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 205
    • View Profile
four shits - Aug. 23/04
« Reply #61 on: August 25, 2004, 07:29:38 pm »

The Sesame Street aliens (Mooooo! Eep eep eep! Yorp Yorp Yorp! Ray-dee-oh! etc) scared the shit out of me when I was about 3.

The Fraggles, on the other hand, were a reason to have HBO. That and "Braingames."

I think my dad had it just for "The Hitchhiker" though. Or maybe that fuck*ng Bobcat Golthwait special they played a billion times.
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
four shits - Aug. 23/04
« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2004, 07:34:28 pm »

Quote from: "Formica"
The Sesame Street aliens (Mooooo! Eep eep eep! Yorp Yorp Yorp! Ray-dee-oh! etc) scared the shit out of me when I was about 3.


My friend Vanessa frequently makes use of the term "fascinatingly repulsive" to describe quotidien things that she finds intruigingly appalling, and that is how I remember reacting to those aliens.  Their weird puppety necks moved around in disconcerting ways, is all I recall.
Logged
goose means greedy

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
four shits - Aug. 23/04
« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2004, 07:44:45 pm »

I now have the theme songs of about half a dozen educational or semi-educational children's television programs ricocheting around in my head, the long-dormant neurons in which they were stored reactivated by this thread. I hope you're all happy.
Logged

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
four shits - Aug. 23/04
« Reply #64 on: August 25, 2004, 08:10:50 pm »

Quote from: "Ben-San"
...the theme songs of about half a dozen educational or semi-educational children's television programs...


Listen to Eleven Twelve, by the terrific Braces Tower. You'll like it.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
four shits - Aug. 23/04
« Reply #65 on: August 25, 2004, 08:31:58 pm »

Quote from: "Ben-San"
I now have the theme songs of about half a dozen educational or semi-educational children's television programs ricocheting around in my head, the long-dormant neurons in which they were stored reactivated by this thread. I hope you're all happy.

Let the Schoolhouse Rocks references begin!
Logged

sailor

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 301
    • View Profile
four shits - Aug. 23/04
« Reply #66 on: August 25, 2004, 08:45:21 pm »

Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Quote from: "Ben-San"
...the theme songs of about half a dozen educational or semi-educational children's television programs...


Listen to Eleven Twelve, by the terrific Braces Tower. You'll like it.


not quite as fuck-with-yr-head style as the original. i think if i heard the original, WATCHED THAT TRIPPY LITTLE CARTOON, that would just be...it...all wheelchairs and tranqs for the rest of my life
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?

ferocious j

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 231
    • View Profile
    • http://automatedredemption.com/flavorcountry/
four shits - Aug. 23/04
« Reply #67 on: August 25, 2004, 08:49:32 pm »

I went to college next door to where Mr. Rogers lived.  I saw him out on the street one day, and debated whether to go up to him and basically thank him for my childhood.  But he was already talking to someone, and I just kept walkin'.

Is his show still on in rerun form?  What about Reading Rainbow?  Can kids still turn on the television-box and watch that, or what?  I think my life would've ended up sucking without Reading Rainbow.

I am 24.
Logged
I step to the mic like a Jedi knight
I'm all "off with your head" with my neon light

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
four shits - Aug. 23/04
« Reply #68 on: August 25, 2004, 08:59:49 pm »

Quote from: "ferocious j"
I went to college next door to where Mr. Rogers lived.  I saw him out on the street one day, and debated whether to go up to him and basically thank him for my childhood.  But he was already talking to someone, and I just kept walkin'.

Is his show still on in rerun form?  What about Reading Rainbow?  Can kids still turn on the television-box and watch that, or what?  I think my life would've ended up sucking without Reading Rainbow.

When the last Mr. Roger's was filmed the plan was to keep showing them forever. They were made to be as dateless and self-contained as possible so that ones from 1983 and 1990 could be aired back-to-back without anybody noticing.

RR I'm not sure about. I know there was a petition and various stories when the plug was pulled but I don't know if it's still aired.

Correction: According to my TiVo guide it's on 26 times in the next two weeks.
Logged

TALKYdude

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 166
    • View Profile
four shits - Aug. 23/04
« Reply #69 on: August 25, 2004, 09:19:04 pm »

ferocious j, Reading Rainbow was one of my favorite shows growing up, and we're the same age. I remember in 2000 or so turning on PBS and it was on. I don't know anything more recent than that, though.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
four shits - Aug. 23/04
« Reply #70 on: August 25, 2004, 09:36:14 pm »

OH MY GOD READING RAINBOW. I agree that, while all of the PBS kids' shows did something to me, Reading Rainbow is the one I remember best and probably the one that helped me most in becoming a functional human being. The first real aspiration I can remember having for myself was to be on an episode of RR, back when I was three or four. It never happened, but it was good to have a dream.

I still have inordinate respect for Lavar Burton, who was a great host and taught me a great many interesting and useful things. Also B. Dalton Booksellers -- yes, it's now been bought out, and even before that it was just a part of the megacorporatebookshill machine, but they sponsored RR, and thus I owe them a debt of gratitude.
Logged

Mantonio

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 423
    • View Profile
four shits - Aug. 23/04
« Reply #71 on: August 25, 2004, 09:58:29 pm »

Quote from: "Formica"
The Sesame Street aliens (Mooooo! Eep eep eep! Yorp Yorp Yorp! Ray-dee-oh! etc) scared the shit out of me when I was about 3.


I, too was always disturbed by these aliens.  It was because of them that I always assumed there were real aliens among us from an early age.  I eventually got over that belief, but not before I went through an Art Bell fan phase.

I always liked that animated typewriter that always had bad things happen to him when he typed certain words, like the time he spelled out "glue" and all of a sudden his wheels were stuck in a puddle of glue.
Logged

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
four shits - Aug. 23/04
« Reply #72 on: August 25, 2004, 10:35:24 pm »

reading rainbow- yes, good.

WGN has been on cable for a long time as i remember, but i also lived in wisonsin when i first remember watching the bozo show.

eastern time? egads! that's just not right.

braces song- i agree, not as "mess with my head" as the original.

that cartoon for counting to twelve- my main memory of that whole thing is staring at the teevee wondering how in fuck the ball stayed on the corkscrew, since it wasn't BANKED.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

umf_skibum

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3
    • View Profile
    • http://joshchristie.freeservers.com
four shits - Aug. 23/04
« Reply #73 on: August 25, 2004, 10:58:32 pm »

Does anyone remember ghostwriter?  or is that too far outside of the years being discussed?
Logged
Will Ray never realize his dream of selling a clean taco?

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
four shits - Aug. 23/04
« Reply #74 on: August 25, 2004, 11:12:44 pm »

Quote from: "umf_skibum"
Does anyone remember ghostwriter?  or is that too far outside of the years being discussed?


Ghostwriter, now that was definitely one of the defining shows of my childhood.  I even had all the spinoff novels.  Unfortunate that it eventually went downhill when they replaced one of the major actors and introduced some illiterate character.
Logged
goose means greedy
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up