Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

It sounds to me like you haven't read the Sex Rulebook! The first rule of Sex is that everybody can always get it on. Man, go for it! Awesome! Awesome! -=RAY=-

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Beer Can Chicken  (Read 6545 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
Beer Can Chicken
« on: August 27, 2004, 02:04:48 pm »

The main problem with this recipe is that there is no good beer that comes in aluminum cans.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Beer Can Chicken
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2004, 02:43:32 pm »

Quote from: "Va"
The main problem with this recipe is that there is no good beer that comes in aluminum cans.

Don't you mean 12oz aluminum cans? I hate beer myself but I know people who swear by Guiness and Caffrey's in cans.
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Beer Can Chicken
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2004, 02:48:17 pm »

Yeah, and what about us forty-drinking vegans?
Logged
goose means greedy

dr_gnx

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1
    • View Profile
Beer Can Chicken
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2004, 02:50:45 pm »

Cans of Guiness have the little plastic widget (the thing that releases the CO2) in them, so they would be a bad idea to use as I don't think melted plastic and noxious fumes would go well with chicken.  There are lots of good beers that come in cans though.  Heineken, Sapporo and Fosters just to name a few.
Logged

Mantonio

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 423
    • View Profile
Beer Can Chicken
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2004, 03:22:46 pm »

Quote from: "Asherdan"
Good beer is not necessary to cook up a tasty good chicken.  See, chickens don't really have much taste in booze, they're kinda the wino's of the avian world.


I thought the wino's were Pigeons.
Logged

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
Beer Can Chicken
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2004, 03:35:56 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
I hate beer myself but I know people who swear by Guiness and Caffrey's in cans.


I blanked out on Guiness for some reason when I wrote that comment, odd considering it is my favorite beer.  However...

Quote from: "dr_gnx"
Cans of Guiness have the little plastic widget (the thing that releases the CO2) in them, so they would be a bad idea to use as I don't think melted plastic and noxious fumes would go well with chicken.


Exactly.

Quote from: "dr_gnx"
There are lots of good beers that come in cans though.  Heineken, Sapporo and Fosters just to name a few.


I've not had Sapporo, but Foster's is hell of bland, and Heineken is Dutch Budweiser.
Logged

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Beer Can Chicken
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2004, 03:53:37 pm »

Quote from: "Va"
The main problem with this recipe is that there is no good beer that comes in aluminum cans.


I was actually just listening to a radio show yesterday that had as guests the president and brewmaster of Boulevard, an excellent KC based beer.  They said that there really isn't anything about the can that makes it worse than a bottle for beer storage, it's just that bottles are associated in our minds with Quality Beer.  If a brewer only wants to have one set of equipment, they'll choose bottles.

I have seen Shiner Bock in cans, but only in the area directly around Canyon Lake, where you wouldn't be able to take a bottle in the river.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Beer Can Chicken
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2004, 05:05:54 pm »

Quote from: "dr_gnx"
Cans of Guiness have the little plastic widget (the thing that releases the CO2) in them, so they would be a bad idea to use as I don't think melted plastic and noxious fumes would go well with chicken.  There are lots of good beers that come in cans though.  Heineken, Sapporo and Fosters just to name a few.



Mmmmm....noxious fumes....

/Homer
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Beer Can Chicken
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2004, 06:02:37 pm »

Quote from: "Gimpson"
Quote from: "Va"
The main problem with this recipe is that there is no good beer that comes in aluminum cans.


I was actually just listening to a radio show yesterday that had as guests the president and brewmaster of Boulevard, an excellent KC based beer.  They said that there really isn't anything about the can that makes it worse than a bottle for beer storage, it's just that bottles are associated in our minds with Quality Beer.  If a brewer only wants to have one set of equipment, they'll choose bottles.

I have seen Shiner Bock in cans, but only in the area directly around Canyon Lake, where you wouldn't be able to take a bottle in the river.


You're more likely to find smaller brands using bottles because it's not too hard to put caps on bottles relative to putting beer into a can.  You can have a bottle capper in your basement, but you probably don't have room for a cannery.  Smaller brewers tend to have higher-quality beer (or at least the perception of having it), so there's another knock against a can's reputation.
Logged

doomglobe

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 35
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 410
    • View Profile
    • doom globe
Beer Can Chicken
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2004, 06:42:38 pm »

Quote from: "Va"
The main problem with this recipe is that there is no good beer that comes in aluminum cans.


not that beer bottle doesnt work, but you really dont want to be wasting good beer on this recipe. do you cook with really fine french wines? why cook with really good beers? I could see using a hopsy beer like an ipa if you were doing something that retained the liquid, such as beerbroth, beerbatter, or suds omelettes, but with the chicken, the beer doesnt really do much of the flavoring. you could probably get the same results using water.

I am with some person on the top about posting book only recipes online, but I guess its onstads call. the books are all about the personalizations anyway. onstad draws some cool little pictures/comics when he personalizes a book.
Logged
[expletive deleted]

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Beer Can Chicken
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2004, 06:44:29 pm »

Quote from: "superock101"
You're more likely to find smaller brands using bottles because it's not too hard to put caps on bottles relative to putting beer into a can.  You can have a bottle capper in your basement, but you probably don't have room for a cannery.  Smaller brewers tend to have higher-quality beer (or at least the perception of having it), so there's another knock against a can's reputation.


Home brewing is a hobby I've thought about taking up, but have never taken the plunge.  I think I hold off mainly because of the distinctly mediocre quality of friends home brew I've tried.  I did have an excellent stout an uncle made once and bottled himself, but that is one good time vs. dozens of parites where a friend would bring a little container of his crappy ale and everyone would feel obligated to drink it rather than the perfectly good Guinness or Boulevard we brought ourselves.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Beer Can Chicken
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2004, 06:50:18 pm »

Quote from: "andalucia"
Yeah, and what about us forty-drinking vegans?


What's not to like about beer can tofurkey?

aparently everything
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

TALKYdude

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 166
    • View Profile
Beer Can Chicken
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2004, 08:17:00 pm »

Quote from: "Gimpson"
Quote from: "superock101"
You're more likely to find smaller brands using bottles because it's not too hard to put caps on bottles relative to putting beer into a can.  You can have a bottle capper in your basement, but you probably don't have room for a cannery.  Smaller brewers tend to have higher-quality beer (or at least the perception of having it), so there's another knock against a can's reputation.


Home brewing is a hobby I've thought about taking up, but have never taken the plunge.  I think I hold off mainly because of the distinctly mediocre quality of friends home brew I've tried.  I did have an excellent stout an uncle made once and bottled himself, but that is one good time vs. dozens of parites where a friend would bring a little container of his crappy ale and everyone would feel obligated to drink it rather than the perfectly good Guinness or Boulevard we brought ourselves.

I know what you mean. If you want to get really good at it and make stuff you can be proud of you'll want to ask around at local microbreweries and find out where and when the homebrewers' club meets and hang out with them to soak up The Knowledge. It won't do to make it out of a book, really-you'll end up with "my crappy friend's crappy beer that I crappy have to crappy drink". Once you're involved in a social aspect of it and feel like you have to impress other knowledgeable guys you'll get really good at it fast. They try each other's beers and critique and talk about what worked and what didn't then everyone comes back next week (or fortnight, or month) with their latest brew. Competitiveness, feedback and knowledge diffusion are key.
Logged

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
Beer Can Chicken
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2004, 08:26:47 pm »

Quote from: "doomglobe"
not that beer bottle doesnt work, but you really dont want to be wasting good beer on this recipe. do you cook with really fine french wines? why cook with really good beers?


I would not cook with any beer or wine that I would not be happy to drink on its own.
Logged

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Beer Can Chicken
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2004, 08:46:14 pm »

Quote from: "Va"
Quote from: "doomglobe"
not that beer bottle doesnt work, but you really dont want to be wasting good beer on this recipe. do you cook with really fine french wines? why cook with really good beers?


I would not cook with any beer or wine that I would not be happy to drink on its own.


I must wholeheartedly disagree with this.  An old roommate of mine and I used to make bratwurst fairly often, and whoever did the shopping would make a point of getting a six pack of the worst, nastiest, cheapest beer they could find.  Four beers would pre-boil the brats, and we'd have to drink the other two.  

I think the worst I drank was Hamm's, but the brats were still good and tasty.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up