Since the "science & nature" topic includes "small mammels" I'll post this here.
So I drive into work today, and lo and behold there is a kitten darting in and out of traffic, looking terrified.
Now with an avatar like mine, and the generally large amount of cat gushing I've done on the board, the rest really writes itself for most of you, I'm sure, but here we go:
So I go over to the little guy, who's eyes are all bugging out in terror, and he practically leaps into my arms. I go into the office, the receptionist asks why I brought my cat to work, I explain the situation, and a co-worker comes over and says that he had seen the cat earlier today darting in and out of rush hour trafic also (but hadn't bothered to do anything). The little guy has no tag or tattoo. So up to my office I go, carrying the now purring cat. I put him down, he checks out the office, and curls up to sleep on a spare chair. I call every no-kill animal shelter in town, and none are accepting cats due to the massive influx they get every summer of kittens. So I get to work on what I get paid to do, then at lunch I call the humane society, and while the phone is ringing, the little guy, as if on instinct wakes up and climbs into my lap, all cuddley and purring - all "please don't send me to my death, I'm cute you know!"
I'm told that due to the massive influx of cats and kittens that the little guy would likely be euthanized in a manner of days if I were to bring him in, so couldn't I keep him or find him a home? I am a sucker. I hang up.
So aparently I have an office cat, which would be fine if I weren't moving out of my office in a week. But really, I can't keep him - we have the legally allowed amount of cats already in our home (3), and really that's already too many. Also this kitten has massive paws, and really long limbs, which tells me he's going to grow to be pretty big. Never mind that he's been roaming the street, and could pass a disease on to my cats.
My mother suggests that I just bring him, in a box, to any of the overcrowded no kill shelters that had just told me over the phone that they will not take him, plunk him on the counter, and walk out. Her logic sounds reasonable "They won't get rid of him once he's there." But won't any shelter that is not accepting cats then just send him to the Humane Society anyway? I mean, there's disease testing and food and litter required, nevermind vaccinations and getting his nuts chopped off. When a shelter says no to a cat, it's not just a question of space.
I'm filled with guilt and I don't know what to do. I've called all my cat-less friends and they all have good reasons not to keep a cat, such as constantly travelling, severe allergies, etc. Help!