Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

TERRIBLE!

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Serrrrve! - sep. the first, 2004  (Read 8727 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Serrrrve! - sep. the first, 2004
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2004, 07:49:35 pm »

I am less inclined to believe that this is a big harbinger of things to come than just... well... the kind of argument you have when both parties are sleepy and in over-close quarters, the kind of argument that sounds virulent and sometimes involves very realistic-sounding threats of leaving but doesn't stick in the morning once everyone is rested and not sharing a combined ten total feet of space.

Also, I get the feeling Beef is going to apologie. Not that he shouldn't -- he was sort of the vector of all this madness -- but he probably will, and I'm glad for it.
Logged

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
Serrrrve! - sep. the first, 2004
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2004, 08:05:06 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
Why can't you wear earplugs after having a baby?  Will giving birth damage your ears in some way?  Will the baby come out of your ears?


I'm going to pretend you're serious and actually answer that question.  Because I need to be able to hear if my baby is distressed in the night.  DUH!
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Serrrrve! - sep. the first, 2004
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2004, 10:05:44 pm »

Again, after you sedate the child with ether, morphine, nitrous, etc., it won't make a peep, and will wake up at a more reasonable time refreshed and ready to please!

I can't believe how reticent parents are to do what's right for their families.  Sedate your children: it's better for YOU, it's better for THEM.

AND DON'T FORGET TO VOTE!

TALKYdude

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 166
    • View Profile
Serrrrve! - sep. the first, 2004
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2004, 10:07:48 pm »

Va, you might like to Ferberize your baby.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Serrrrve! - sep. the first, 2004
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2004, 10:09:51 pm »

I was at a party once, and the host was talking to some of his male friends when he mentions that, when the hostess (his wife) would go out for the evening and leave him the kids, he would knock them out with benadryl.

I distinctly remember that look on his face when we all turned around to see who shouted YOU WHAT??!! 3 feet behind us.

That was some funny shit.

On a related note, our pediatrician told us that it was actually OK to do this for plane trips and times and a few other rare occasions.
Logged

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Serrrrve! - sep. the first, 2004
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2004, 10:41:26 pm »

Quote from: "TALKYdude"
Va, you might like to Ferberize your baby.


Yes, you certainly should.  And do it sooner rather than later - my wife and I went through a lot of unpleasant nights because we waited.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Serrrrve! - sep. the first, 2004
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2004, 12:59:16 am »

Quote from: "Limmo"
Quote from: "TALKYdude"
Va, you might like to Ferberize your baby.


Yes, you certainly should.  And do it sooner rather than later - my wife and I went through a lot of unpleasant nights because we waited.


I'm still sort of surprised that "Ferberizing the baby" turned out to be something on-topic and reasonably good-sounding to do regarding a baby. I guess I can't say I'm disappointed in the thread, but I didn't expect it.
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Serrrrve! - sep. the first, 2004
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2004, 01:11:43 am »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
I'm still sort of surprised that "Ferberizing the baby" turned out to be something on-topic and reasonably good-sounding to do regarding a baby. I guess I can't say I'm disappointed in the thread, but I didn't expect it.


That was precisely my reaction as well.  For some reason, the idea the term presented to me was something like Scotchguarding.
Logged
goose means greedy

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Serrrrve! - sep. the first, 2004
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2004, 01:15:13 am »

Quote from: "TALKYdude"
Va, you might like to Ferberize your baby.


Oddly enough, that's just what I always did. If she was fed, warm, and dry then there was nothing else to do but help her learn that she's OK and we're there when she needs us. It's tough to listen to at the beginning but it's worth it.

Other things we did include: vacuuming, talking in normal tones, and doing other life-type things around the baby all the time. Tiptoeing around the baby and all that only gets you a kid hypersensitive to all sounds.

Nothing annoys me more than watching parents intentionally train kids to be wussies.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Serrrrve! - sep. the first, 2004
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2004, 01:27:28 am »

I guess we instinctively Ferberized our kids.  We didn't know there was a dang name for it.  Our kids were great sleepers, both slept through the night by six months or so.

Also, I will confess to having done the Benadryl thing to knock the kids (and myself) out.  But only when they've had colds.  Benadryl works like a charm on me.  I go to sleep faster and deeper than if I was hit in the cranial region with a sledgehammer made out of nine pounds of Valium.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Serrrrve! - sep. the first, 2004
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2004, 01:28:25 am »

Quote from: "andalucia"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I'm still sort of surprised that "Ferberizing the baby" turned out to be something on-topic and reasonably good-sounding to do regarding a baby. I guess I can't say I'm disappointed in the thread, but I didn't expect it.


That was precisely my reaction as well.  For some reason, the idea the term presented to me was something like Scotchguarding.


One-hour Martinizing?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Serrrrve! - sep. the first, 2004
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2004, 01:33:02 am »

I was thinking 'Osterizing' or "Blenderizing'. But now I'll get some shit about eating babies again.
Logged

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
Serrrrve! - sep. the first, 2004
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2004, 02:56:54 pm »

Quote from: "TALKYdude"
Va, you might like to Ferberize your baby.


Never, never, never, never, NEVER.  You do NOT want to know what I think of "Ferberizing" babies.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Serrrrve! - sep. the first, 2004
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2004, 03:04:01 pm »

First child?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
Serrrrve! - sep. the first, 2004
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2004, 03:05:56 pm »

First of many, hopefully.

Please don't start this fight, AugustWest.  Nothing good will come of it.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up