Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

THIS SPACE FOR RENT
The tip jar is broken, but Wombat will entertain bribe offers, assuming she can find this edit screen again.

Poll

What's your vodka of choice?

Absolut
- 1 (5.3%)
Belvedere
- 0 (0%)
Stoli
- 2 (10.5%)
Grey Goose
- 3 (15.8%)
Ketel One
- 1 (5.3%)
Chopin
- 0 (0%)
something else fancy and expensive
- 3 (15.8%)
something else cheap and potent
- 6 (31.6%)
don't touch the stuff
- 3 (15.8%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: September 02, 2004, 12:38:02 pm


Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mmmmmmmmmmmm... vodka  (Read 4256 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Mmmmmmmmmmmm... vodka
« on: September 02, 2004, 12:38:02 pm »

A big ol' vodka taste test.

We actually did one of these at a party a few years ago.  My wife had confessed to a vodka-loving friend that she liked Absolut and Hawaiian Punch.  The friend showed up to our party with a half-dozen bottles of vodka, and had us try them individually, chilled, straight up.  I believe the winner was Grey Goose (of the high-end vodkas they have listed in this article, I think the only other one we had was Chopin, which we liked very much).  Not surprisingly, mass-market brands like Absolut and Skyy are revealed to be teh suk when tasted side-by-side like this.

Still, my vodka drink of choice is Stoli Vanilla out of the freezer, straight up, with three coffee beans floated in it.  So damn good.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Mmmmmmmmmmmm... vodka
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2004, 12:54:11 pm »

Man, when I think of drinking vodka, I think of pulling a mickey of Smirnoff out of my messenger bag and re-filling my plastic skull-decorated goblet as my friends and I hide in the bushes from some cops.
This is why I do not often get invited to cocktail parties and stuff.
Logged
goose means greedy

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
Mmmmmmmmmmmm... vodka
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2004, 02:50:34 pm »

I voted "cheap and potent" because the only time I drink vodka is in Cosmopolitans, and there's no point in getting expensive liquor in fruity mixed drinks.  Now gin, that's another matter.  Bombay Sapphire and tonic, mmmm.  I'm definitely going to have one of those to celebrate after my baby gets her first nursing session.
Logged

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Mmmmmmmmmmmm... vodka
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2004, 04:01:44 pm »

When we get crunky around here ( once every few years ), we make Spiders.  Equal parts Stoli Vanil and Canada Dry ginger ale, with a little grenadine for color.  So sweet and yet so debilitating.
Logged

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Mmmmmmmmmmmm... vodka
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2004, 05:31:50 pm »

since we're talking recipes...

a friend/mentor in college, he who got me hooked on: coffee, front 242, and being too cool for school, came up with what seemed like the best drink name ever:

conscious through the pain.
it was coffee, vodka, and something.  i don't remember what, but i'm sure it wasn't important.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Mmmmmmmmmmmm... vodka
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2004, 05:43:25 pm »

Quote from: "andalucia"
Man, when I think of drinking vodka, I think of pulling a mickey of Smirnoff out of my messenger bag and re-filling my plastic skull-decorated goblet as my friends and I hide in the bushes from some cops.
This is why I do not often get invited to cocktail parties and stuff.


I was all about the Smirnoff, my first drink as a teen was totally the screwdriver - cause if you're filling your body with poisen you might as well get a little vitamin C, right?

So does Smirnoff fall into the cheap catagory?  It's middle of the road when it comes to price, so I don't really think about it as totally trashy, yet certainly andalucia's and some of my own drink-til-you-can't remember super trashy stories evolve around Smirnoff.  I haven't voted yet, cause I'm not sure where the Smirnoff falls.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Mmmmmmmmmmmm... vodka
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2004, 05:50:38 pm »

Quote from: "side_show"
So does Smirnoff fall into the cheap catagory?  It's middle of the road when it comes to price, so I don't really think about it as totally trashy, yet certainly andalucia's and some of my own drink-til-you-can't remember super trashy stories evolve around Smirnoff.  I haven't voted yet, cause I'm not sure where the Smirnoff falls.


Yeah, it was the cheapest vodka available where I bought my booze in high school, but since I would have gotten whatever was cheapest I voted for that option.
Logged
goose means greedy

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Mmmmmmmmmmmm... vodka
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2004, 06:30:11 pm »

Just try a vodka mojito and tell me it's not superior to a rum mojito. Try it.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Mmmmmmmmmmmm... vodka
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2004, 06:37:13 pm »

Has anyone tried Level yet?  It's not my favourite, but it's been all I've been drinking lately.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Mmmmmmmmmmmm... vodka
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2004, 07:29:06 pm »

I should probably be taking notes from this thread in anticipation of my 21st birthday, which is in twenty days now.

The Spiders sound pretty good, but I suspect I would have to have one, maybe two.
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Mmmmmmmmmmmm... vodka
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2004, 08:26:34 pm »

Congratulations, V-  I too am nearing the legal drinking age in my part of the world.  It's a joyous time indeed.
Logged
goose means greedy

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
Mmmmmmmmmmmm... vodka
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2004, 03:24:50 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
I should probably be taking notes from this thread in anticipation of my 21st birthday, which is in twenty days now.

The Spiders sound pretty good, but I suspect I would have to have one, maybe two.


Quote from: "andalucia"
Congratulations, V- I too am nearing the legal drinking age in my part of the world. It's a joyous time indeed.


Awwwww, isn't that cute.  Also, I am old.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Mmmmmmmmmmmm... vodka
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2004, 04:23:22 pm »

Yeah, the novelty of drinking gets old fast, kids.  Right now it's the forbidden fruit - eventually it's just liver damage and waking up next to some troll.

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Mmmmmmmmmmmm... vodka
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2004, 05:42:30 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
Yeah, the novelty of drinking gets old fast, kids.  Right now it's the forbidden fruit - eventually it's just liver damage and waking up next to some troll.


ps- don't forget the moment it hits you and you say to yourself "oh my dear god what the hell have i done with my life?".

or is that just me?
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush
Pages: [1]   Go Up