Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
That the second best way to sound like a noob is to ask why robot and pants are censored?

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which Gender is Ryo-Ohki? (and other questions)  (Read 2899 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
Which Gender is Ryo-Ohki? (and other questions)
« on: September 02, 2004, 03:55:08 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Ultra Peanut doesn't count


No, wait, I should have included her, I think Ultra Peanut should count if Tina counts.

Quote from: "CortJstr"
And waitaminute. He was named Radical Edward?


Yeah, I know.  We debated over it, but we decided to use the name anyway.    And he is rad.

Quote from: "CortJstr"
When we get cats (our current appt is too small) my SO wants to name them Ryo-ohki and Bettie Page assuming both are female.


Ryo-ohki is a boy.  Well, he was in the Tenchi OVAs and the TV show, I think they changed him to a girl in Tenchi in Tokyo, and he/she seemed to belong to Sasami instead of Ryoko.  The complexities of the Tenchi universe are now all but unfathomable.

Speaking of Tenchi, ever seen DUAL?  It's like Tenchi Muyo and Evangelion had a love child.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Which Gender is Ryo-Ohki? (and other questions)
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2004, 04:30:50 pm »

Quote from: "Va"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Ultra Peanut doesn't count

No, wait, I should have included her, I think Ultra Peanut should count if Tina counts.

I left her out just because it's not a very good name in the real world. Not as a dig on the character or her importance.

Quote from: "Va"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
And waitaminute. He was named Radical Edward?

Yeah, I know.  We debated over it, but we decided to use the name anyway. And he is rad.

So do you use his full name when yelling at him?

Quote from: "Va"
Ryo-ohki is a boy.  Well, he was in the Tenchi OVAs and the TV show, I think they changed him to a girl in Tenchi in Tokyo, and he/she seemed to belong to Sasami instead of Ryoko.  The complexities of the Tenchi universe are now all but unfathomable.

Speaking of Tenchi, ever seen DUAL?  It's like Tenchi Muyo and Evangelion had a love child.

She was definitely a girl in the TV series. That's the version where Ken-ohki was her love interest.

I've heard of Dual but I've avoided it. I stopped going to animeondvd.com over a year ago in an attempt to save money. The only anime I've bought in the past year is Vol. 1 SE of the new Ghost in the Shell.

I haven't even seen Raphaxeon (sp?) or watched Adult Swim - Action.
Logged

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
Which Gender is Ryo-Ohki? (and other questions)
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2004, 04:47:43 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
I stopped going to animeondvd.com over a year ago in an attempt to save money.


Netflix to the rescue!
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Which Gender is Ryo-Ohki? (and other questions)
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2004, 04:55:48 pm »

Quote from: "Va"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
I stopped going to animeondvd.com over a year ago in an attempt to save money.

Netflix to the rescue!

Indeed. We have a gift subscription at the moment. We just finished DS9 and now the SO wants to get 6 Feet Under but after that I'm sure some anime will move its way up the queue.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Which Gender is Ryo-Ohki? (and other questions)
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2004, 06:48:28 pm »

I guess the mods are sick today.  Animé discussions?  Fuck, take it OUTSIDE, kids.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Which Gender is Ryo-Ohki? (and other questions)
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2004, 07:36:52 pm »

I have heard that DUAL is woefully bad -- a ripoff of Tenchi and Eva without adding any of its own ideas to the mix. Then again, the people I heard it from are also those who tend not to enjoy Tenchi or "magical harem"-type shows anyway, so YMMV.

(I also remain baffled about Six Feet Under, but that's just me.)
Logged

PinkStainlessTail

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 269
    • View Profile
    • http://horsmanistan.blogspot.com/
Which Gender is Ryo-Ohki? (and other questions)
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2004, 08:03:48 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "Va"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
I stopped going to animeondvd.com over a year ago in an attempt to save money.

Netflix to the rescue!

Indeed. We have a gift subscription at the moment. We just finished DS9 and now the SO wants to get 6 Feet Under but after that I'm sure some anime will move its way up the queue.


May I also suggest Greencine? Slower turn around times (only one distribution point), but they also carry lots of interesting stuff that Netflix doesn't, like Kimagure Orange Road. Also lots of great international and just plain weird stuff (tho' oddly, Netflix has a better Bollywood selection).
Logged
"Plush. Rabid. Festering. Pulchritude. Eschew!"

"That may be the worst cheer ever."
-The University of Universal Understanding, S. Aldred

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Which Gender is Ryo-Ohki? (and other questions)
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2004, 08:45:32 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
I have heard that DUAL is woefully bad -- a ripoff of Tenchi and Eva without adding any of its own ideas to the mix. Then again, the people I heard it from are also those who tend not to enjoy Tenchi or "magical harem"-type shows anyway, so YMMV.

(I also remain baffled about Six Feet Under, but that's just me.)

IIRC Dual was supposed to be a bit of a parody. But again, I've tried to stay of the anime world and it's damned tempting Limited Edition Lunchbox With Action Figure releases.

I can't say any HBO show has actually held my interest. There was Turn On when I was 9, but that was only there for the boobs. And Stargate SG-1 was on Showtime so it doesn't count.
Logged

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Which Gender is Ryo-Ohki? (and other questions)
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2004, 03:31:02 am »

i thought OZ was frighteningly compelling.

of course, back then i was drinking rather heavily.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Which Gender is Ryo-Ohki? (and other questions)
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2004, 12:56:20 pm »

Quote from: "arkabee"
i thought OZ was frighteningly compelling.

of course, back then i was drinking rather heavily.

I'm not saying the shows are bad, they just don't interest me personally. That's the same reason I don't watch The Shield for example. But Lucky, now there was a show.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up