Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

But Pat, the Cure is silly! It is silly to like The Cure!

Poll

Who ya like to rule the NFL this year?

Eagles
- 0 (0%)
Patriots
- 3 (10%)
Colts
- 3 (10%)
Panthers
- 1 (3.3%)
Seahawks
- 2 (6.7%)
Chiefs
- 1 (3.3%)
someone else
- 8 (26.7%)
jeez, who CARES?
- 12 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Voting closed: September 09, 2004, 01:25:06 pm


Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: The Europeans call it "gridiron"  (Read 26772 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
The Europeans call it "gridiron"
« on: September 09, 2004, 01:23:30 pm »

Hey, football season starts tonight.  Anyone around here besides me give a crap?

I am a fan of those Philadelphia Iggles, from whom everyone expects great things this year.  But Philadelphia sports have crushed my spirits too many times to get overly excited.  To a lesser degree, I follow the Ravens, and since the freakin' Redskins (or, if you prefer, the Indiginous Persons) are the #1 game in town here in the DC area I can't help but watch their games now and then.

The Colts are my pre-season Super Bowl pick.  And I fail to understand all this Seahawks hype.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
The Europeans call it "gridiron"
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2004, 01:27:05 pm »

Who is ready for some football?

Me.  I am.

I am a Miami Dolphins fan (Damn that dope-smoking Ricky Williams!) My second favorite team is the St Louis Rams because my inlaws all have season tickets and I get to go see them about once a year.

Right now I am building up my reservoir of paitience so I can sit through a Toby Keith/Jessica Simpson concert prior to the game tonight.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

sjlimmer

  • Illegal Ghost Bikes
  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 317
  • Insert witty remark here...
    • View Profile
The Europeans call it "gridiron"
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2004, 01:32:23 pm »

Despite decades of disappointment, and the ego of Randy Moss, I still keep being a Vikings fan.  This season should be interesting for me, as it is the first football season I will spend living with my so, who has a virulent hate for the sport.  Oh well, I'll probably only get to see Rams games here, anyway....
Logged
"That's because you're a mean drunk, and nobody loves you."

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
The Europeans call it "gridiron"
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2004, 02:01:27 pm »

I doubt I will get a chance to see this season too, like any since about '93.
I caught the SuperBowl two years ago but apart from that...

I'd probably back the Raiders again myself, as they were my favourite team when I was a kid, but I don't care at the end of the day, just enjoy the game. Definitely time to hassle Sky.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

V-Adore

  • Guest
The Europeans call it "gridiron"
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2004, 02:11:50 pm »

I have an affection for the Vikings which I suspect is genetic. I would be happy with any number of teams winning (the first four that came to mind were the Vikes, the Eagles, the Pats, and the Ravens), so I just voted "other."
Logged

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
The Europeans call it "gridiron"
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2004, 03:42:56 pm »

Wow. Two Pennsyltucky-isms and a TMQ reference all in the same thread. Almost makes me wish I watched sports.

I haven't actually seen an NFL game since I started dating my SO. Also, since Darryl Green retired what's the point?
Logged

Flenker

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 68
    • View Profile
    • http://www.picdump.org/gallery/chris
The Europeans call it "gridiron"
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2004, 05:40:39 pm »

I'm a 49ers fan, and I fear this season may be a long one for me.....  But, at least they (hopefully) won't be worse than my expectations
Logged

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
The Europeans call it "gridiron"
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2004, 06:09:47 pm »

I'm a genetic Packer fan currently living in Kansas City.  I'd like to see the Packers and the Chiefs do well this year, but Green Bay looked godawful in the preseason, and I really don't think the Chiefs did much to improve their defense.  Nevertheless, I cannot pick anything other than a Chiefs/Packers Super Bowl, with the Packers winning.    

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Right now I am building up my reservoir of paitience so I can sit through a Toby Keith/Jessica Simpson concert prior to the game tonight.


Also, how can you mention having to sit through the pre-game festivities and not mention Elton John?  I really have nothing against EJ, but he doesn't really seem to fit the NFL demographic.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
The Europeans call it "gridiron"
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2004, 06:12:23 pm »

Quote from: "Gimpson"
Also, how can you mention having to sit through the pre-game festivities and not mention Elton John?  I really have nothing against EJ, but he doesn't really seem to fit the NFL demographic.


I think he's going to sing a version of Candle in the Wind dedicated to Tim Couch's career.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
The Europeans call it "gridiron"
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2004, 06:17:17 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"

I think he's going to sing a version of Candle in the Wind dedicated to Tim Couch's career.


ZING!

that being said, let's all look forward to a Packers v Titans superbowl.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
The Europeans call it "gridiron"
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2004, 06:23:32 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
I think he's going to sing a version of Candle in the Wind dedicated to Tim Couch's career.


Oh don't get me started on Couch.  I was very upset when Green Bay first picked him up.  On some level, I do feel a bit sorry for him.  He has had some tough breaks in his career, but you just can't cry at a press conference and expect to be taken seriously as a football player ever again.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
The Europeans call it "gridiron"
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2004, 06:38:11 pm »

Yeah, my heart bleeds for the guy.  I guess he'll just have to take his millions of dollars and his supermodel girlfriend and crawl off into a corner and whimper.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
The Europeans call it "gridiron"
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2004, 09:25:04 pm »

Quote from: "Gimpson"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
I think he's going to sing a version of Candle in the Wind dedicated to Tim Couch's career.


Oh don't get me started on Couch.  I was very upset when Green Bay first picked him up.  On some level, I do feel a bit sorry for him.  He has had some tough breaks in his career, but you just can't cry at a press conference and expect to be taken seriously as a football player ever again.


As a lifelong Browns fan, I had great hopes for Tim Couch. But, like the legendary Danny Ferry (Cavs) he turned out to be a big, white, money-sucking machine. We were calling for Kelly Holcomb for TWO seasons. This year, we get Jeff Garcia so Kelly can't catch a break but it won't much matter. I was at the Ravens game in Cleveland last year and we open against them this year. I just hope they don't get 500 yards on the ground again. That was friggin' embarassin'.

It's a long season on the lakefront, I think, also.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
The Europeans call it "gridiron"
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2004, 04:15:15 am »

That was a good game.  I felt bad for Deion Branch when he muffed that punt because he's from one of my alma maters.  Gotta love games that go down to the wire.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

TALKYdude

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 166
    • View Profile
The Europeans call it "gridiron"
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2004, 08:34:11 am »

Titans in the Superbowl. I believe!
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Up