Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

How Does He Smell?

Poll

Who ya like to rule the NFL this year?

Eagles
- 0 (0%)
Patriots
- 3 (10%)
Colts
- 3 (10%)
Panthers
- 1 (3.3%)
Seahawks
- 2 (6.7%)
Chiefs
- 1 (3.3%)
someone else
- 8 (26.7%)
jeez, who CARES?
- 12 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Voting closed: September 09, 2004, 01:25:06 pm


Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: The Europeans call it "gridiron"  (Read 26807 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
The Europeans call it "gridiron"
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2004, 04:23:36 pm »

Bumped due to me being away and being a huge football fan (also, baseball is over now, hockey won't be happening this year, and basketball . . . ick).

So, Asherdan, how do you feel about my beloved San Diego Chargers now?

Also, it is fun to look back on predictions.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
The Europeans call it "gridiron"
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2004, 05:32:02 pm »

Quote from: "Asherdan"
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
So, Asherdan, how do you feel about my beloved San Diego Chargers now?


Happy to be wrong thus far.  But with Denver, Indianapolis and KC (2x's) still on the schedule I'm revising my estimate for them to 8-8.  They will make me a happy dude if they but stomp the ever-loving ass off the Raiders twice in the next three games.

I think with McCardell they may have enough offense to keep up with the Colts, and with them that's what it's about. Denver losing to the Bungles made me feel good. I'm not sold on the Chiefs (I know, 8 rushing TDs, but still).

Quote from: "Asherdan"
ALSO: Why did Drew Brees wait this long to begin to act like a QB?

He had flashes of QBness earlier, but they've had no line or WRs, so I think it's been tough for him. They haven't had a QB since Stan "What day is it?" Humphries, anyway. That Leafy taste lingers in the fans' mouths.

Quote from: "Asherdan"
ALSO^2: It'd be nice if they'd sell enough tickets at home to not be blacked out all the time.  BUY THOSE LAST 5,000 SEATS, PEOPLE

I can't believe this happens. If I lived anywhere that had professional football, I'd be all over this. Of course, basketball fans probably think that about Portland. Jeez, think how Cardinals fans feel, and they got to see Emmitt Smith vs. Jerry Rice last week.

Quote from: "Asherdan"
ALSO^3: The Stillers are at 5-1 and pleasantly surprising me.  Unfortunately, they got's the Chowders this weekend.  Maybe the BoSox will have 'em a little hungover.

I think the Steelers have the best chance of anyone to beat the Pats this year.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
The Europeans call it "gridiron"
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2004, 06:13:34 pm »

I'm pleasantly surprised by the Texans, and rather unpleasantly surprised by the Chiefs and Packers.  I think the Chiefs are done since I'm fairly certain that Denver will take the AFC West, but I'm still holding out hope for the Packers making the playoffs.  Minnesota always gets cocky towards the end of the season and blows it.  I'm honestly more worried about Detroit taking the division than I am Minnesota.

Green Bay needs to beat the Skins on Sunday, though.  Our secondary is about decimated, but we should have folks mostly back after next week's bye.  I'll be happy with 4-4 halfway through the season and a lot of division games left.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
The Europeans call it "gridiron"
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2004, 06:42:48 pm »

I think this whole TO in Philly thing is working out OK.  I dream of the Iggles and Patriots running the table and meeting in the Super Bowl with both undefeated.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
The Europeans call it "gridiron"
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2004, 08:48:43 pm »

Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
I think this whole TO in Philly thing is working out OK.  I dream of the Iggles and Patriots running the table and meeting in the Super Bowl with both undefeated.

That'd be cool. TO is working out quite nicely in Philly, but I still enjoyed him having issues with those banners. It's funny when someone acts like an asshole and then wonders why people don't like him.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
The Europeans call it "gridiron"
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2004, 12:56:30 am »

Quote from: "SDBoltReport.Com"

The San Diego Chargers, working with just 24 hours to sell 3,000 tickets, pulled through. There (sic) Halloween venue with the Oakland Raiders will be televised live on KFMB, Channel 8 in San Diego, and KCBS, Channel 2 in Los Angeles.


How about that, Asherdan?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
The Europeans call it "gridiron"
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2004, 01:47:26 am »

Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
The Europeans call it "gridiron"
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2004, 03:26:16 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
A game for all the marbles Sunday Afternoon

[style=jock]Don't bring your goddamn politics into this football thread![/style]

Seriously, it's funny that right in their little quote they say 'go pack'. I love coincidences like this. At least it's not padded out with trumped up nonsense like the Lincoln/Kennedy thing.

Also, my alma mater eked out a win vs. Hawaii yesterday and I quite happy about that. If they climb a couple more spots, they might be considered for a BCS game!
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
The Europeans call it "gridiron"
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2004, 03:42:13 pm »

Living inside the beltway I can attest that many, many people here are reluctantly rooting against the Skins this week. And what are these "blackouts" you people speak of? Doesn't every team have a 40+ year waiting list for season tickets?
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
The Europeans call it "gridiron"
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2004, 04:34:47 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
And what are these "blackouts" you people speak of? Doesn't every team have a 40+ year waiting list for season tickets?

Usually just the teams that don't have a rich tradition and history of sucking ass sell all their seats. Teams like my Bolts and the Cardinals don't sell as well, because a lot of people who live in those cities would rather just sit by the pool and get loaded on margaritas.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
The Europeans call it "gridiron"
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2004, 08:30:57 am »

Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
A game for all the marbles Sunday Afternoon

[style=jock]Don't bring your goddamn politics into this football thread![/style]

Also, my alma mater eked out a win vs. Hawaii yesterday and I quite happy about that. If they climb a couple more spots, they might be considered for a BCS game!


I didn't bring 'my' politics in there....I'm just saying that the Redskins have definitely had an interesting rate of winning/losing games correlated to the incumbent presidential party is all.

The Sox won the Series. All bets are off now.

As for Boise State, yeah, that was a close one... *cough* but I'm not a Hawaii fan so it was kind of funny to read about today. Timmy was in a position to break Ty Detmer's record and instead, ironicaly manages to set the new NCAA career interception record instead. He only needs 14 yards for Detmer's recrord, though.

The best thing about Hawaii losing is that if they lose one more they are ineligible for their own bowl game.  Take that, suckers. If two other teams play in the Hawaii Bowl, imaging it being televised with no one in the stands. I'll laugh my ass off.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
The Europeans call it "gridiron"
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2004, 04:31:22 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
A game for all the marbles Sunday Afternoon

[style=jock]Don't bring your goddamn politics into this football thread![/style]


I didn't bring 'my' politics in there....I'm just saying that the Redskins have definitely had an interesting rate of winning/losing games correlated to the incumbent presidential party is all.

I'm sorry, I'm not very good at the internet-style jokes, with the fake formatting cues and such. I only meant that any discussion of anything even tangentially related to politics would likely piss off a large, empty-headed jock. I certainly think that the whole Redskins thing is a pretty odd coincidence.

I'm thinking Hawaii will probably go 6-6. Northwestern and MSU are going to be tough games for them. The WAC plays against the ACC in the bowl in Boise (which used to be the humanitarian bowl until MPC computers ponied up some cash - classy move, guys. Fuck you, Mother Teresa!) The Hawaii bowl is WAC vs. C-USA. BSU will get a higher standing bowl game (Fort Worth bowl last year), so I think Hawaii will probably play in one of those two bowls if they can beat La. Tech.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

V-Adore

  • Guest
The Europeans call it "gridiron"
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2004, 04:33:35 pm »

I should really start watching the Huskers again, if only because that was a truly impressive riches-to-rags story. Nothing like seeing an entire state go from monomanically loving its football team to monomaniacally hating them with the same fervor, just because they had the temerity to, uh, start to suck really hard.

Optionally, I could root for Northwestern Louisiana State, who are minor players but seem to have remarkable community loyalty regardless of their actual record. Go Demons!
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
The Europeans call it "gridiron"
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2004, 05:31:31 pm »

From what I've heard, Boise State is one of three non-BCS teams with a shot at a BCS bowl -- Utah, BSU and my alma mater, Louisville.  So, it's not like I'm rooting for Boise State to lose or anything... but, no wait, that's exactly what it's like.   Boo Boise State!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
The Europeans call it "gridiron"
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2004, 05:40:45 pm »

Well, none of the three have games against any real threatening teams on the schedule, so they'll probably go undefeated, but they probably won't get much credit for it. It's all a matter of if other teams drop in the standings now. I expect Utah to get a BCS game, and we're basically going to be out in the cold, AW.

But how can you root against BSU? Look at this beautiful field!
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Up