Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

I get so lonely up here. You never write, you never call.

sigh

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: JLD, Den Momma-to-be  (Read 13885 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
JLD, Den Momma-to-be
« on: September 13, 2004, 06:42:14 pm »

For those of you who were wondering what happened to Jamie, I finally got a note from her: (all is well)

<><><><><><><><><><>


Sorry I’ve been unresponsive—things have been nuts around here.  I haven’t abandoned you and the rest of the board, I just haven’t had a minute to myself lately.  Here’s the scoop—feel free to share this with the rest of the Ache-heads (if any of them still remember me).  

I’m working ~30 hours a week selling video games, which is incredibly fun, but also exhausting.  Work + baby = tired momma, so I’m going to bed earlier and taking naps in the afternoons when I’m not working.  
I’m 4 months pregnant now, 16 weeks and some change, and I felt the baby move for the first time this morning...at least, I think it was the baby...either that, or gas.  Who can tell, at this point?  Anyway, we heard the heartbeat 2 weeks ago and we plan to have an ultrasound to make sure the baby is growing and thriving (and hopefully find out the gender) in about 5 weeks.  I’ve gained 10 lbs, and my tummy is just barely starting to grow, to the point where I can’t fit into any of my old clothes any more (even the pre-weight watchers ones) but I don’t really look pregnant yet.  I am starting to get “the waddle,” because my hips and lower back are pretty sore.  All in all, however, I feel pretty good, and I’m just trying to eat well and stay healthy, mostly because I know that’s the best route to a healthy kid and an easy labor.  

Meanwhile, our internet service has been spotty at best, so it’s been hard to get online in the evenings until recently.  Also, Pedro’s birthday was last weekend, and we had a lovely weekend getaway in the NC Mountains, which was very restful and romantic, I must say.  
I hope you, Rebecca, and Elinor are doing well, and that Elinor’s pregnancy is going as smoothly as mine has.  Give my regards to the rest of “the kids” on the board, and assure them all that I’ll be back...it might not be ‘til I stop working in January, but I will be back.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
JLD, Den Momma-to-be
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2004, 08:08:41 pm »

Good to hear that she and Pedro and the future young'n are doing well.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
JLD, Den Momma-to-be
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2004, 09:00:32 pm »

She's alive!
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
JLD, Den Momma-to-be
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2004, 09:12:23 pm »

Great to hear that she's still alive & well... but geez, it's just not the same without the hatching-infant-o-meter sig.
Logged
goose means greedy

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
JLD, Den Momma-to-be
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2004, 09:27:56 pm »

Good.  I've been worried.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
JLD, Den Momma-to-be
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2004, 11:42:02 pm »

I <KNOW> yer just playin', Ash, right?
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
JLD, Den Momma-to-be
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2004, 03:55:54 pm »

All right, AD guilted me into finding time to spend on the board today.  I don't have half of enough time to read all the threads I've missed over the last month or so -- I have to work in a couple of hours and if I don't do laundry today I'll be digging through the dirty clothes bin -- but I figured I should at least check in and post a follow-up to the note I sent AD.  

I am loving, loving, loving the new job.  It's exciting to be around all those new games, see what's coming out, helping soccer moms find awesome birthday presents for their geeky kids, etc.  It's like being the purveyor of Happiness.  We have a big release today, for those of you with XBoxes -- Fable is coming out, the spiritual sequel to Black & White (for PC) all gussied up as an RPG.  New release days are fun for me, it's like being the ice cream man.  You don't have to sell people on a new game; they come in because they want it, and all you have to do is give it to them and they're happy.  

As a bonus, I get to smell that "New Game Smell" all day long.   :heart:

The depth of my geekitude knows no bounds.  

Baby news to be posted in the baby thread.  If nothing else, I'll try to keep that updated so that you can give me sympathy.  Because, you know, that's what a pregnant woman needs more of.  Coddling.  

Anyway, the point is, Pedro and I are still alive and doing well.  The house *still* hasn't sold, and we're trying to figure out what to do about that.  However, we did manage to buy a second car -- a necessity with me working -- which happens to be a 1997 Lexus E300.  It's in flawless condition -- it used to be part of a corporate fleet -- and we got an awesome deal on it through this guy that Pedro's sister knows, who happens to be a dealer.  He took Pedro to a dealers-only auction and we picked it up at about half the KBB estimated retail price.  And Momma was pleased.  :)

When I'm not working, eating, or sleeping, Pedro and I are busy with Baby Preparation Activities, including: doctor visits; choosing bedding; reading baby books; researching childbirth methods; pricing cribs, strollers, and highchairs; comparing life insurance policies; and deciding whether or not we really need an electric wipes warmer.  It's pretty heavy stuff.  

Anyway, that's it for now.  More news as events warrent and time allows.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
JLD, Den Momma-to-be
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2004, 05:00:42 pm »

Quote from: "jldunston"
an electric wipes warmer.

You wrote a nice long personal post and all I can think of is the concept of an electric wipes warmer. It boggles the mind

Oh, and you should read Ron Gamble over at 411mania. He recently started his dream job owning a (board) game store.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
JLD, Den Momma-to-be
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2004, 06:11:51 pm »

Don't be such a stranger JL!  You need time to unwind and preserve your mental health.  Lord knows you won't have any time in a few months.

Not to offer unwanted paretning advice or anything, but you don't need a dang ol' electric baby wipe warmer.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
JLD, Den Momma-to-be
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2004, 06:15:09 pm »

Yeah, seriously.  Just hold one between your hands for a few seconds, it'll be warm enough.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
JLD, Den Momma-to-be
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2004, 07:37:19 pm »

It is awesome to see you here again, and to get a progress report on your life avec Full Womb. Glad to hear you're digging the video games biz, too - you know, most mothers just strap a set of headphones to the ol' belly every now and then and crank through some Mozart or whatever, but you're going for full immersion, and I respect that.

I just hope those retail knaves don't make a woman in your delicate condition do any heavy lifting or push for those flaky add-on sales. ("I'm expecting to enjoy this video game I just bought; it stands to reason, then, that a piece of candy / air freshener in the shape of a character from that game would function as a multiplier for that enjoyment," is how marketing geniuses and district managers hear the internal monologue of the Consumer.)
Logged

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
JLD, Den Momma-to-be
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2004, 08:44:02 pm »

Quote from: "jldunston"

 pricing cribs, strollers, and highchairs and deciding whether or not we really need an electric wipes warmer.


We went with the Graco SnugRide car seat.   It snaps into a base that fits in the back seat of your car.  It also snaps into most Graco strollers.  The ability to detach the car seat and snap it into the stroller without actually moving the child is a thing of genius, especially when the nipper is sleeping.  I have not included a link because I'm sure the model numbers have changed since January 2003.  

My wife and Audrey loved the BabyBjorn.  I tried to use the Klingon Battle Sash, with no luck whatsoever.

The Peg Perego Prima Pappa high chair has been great for us.  

You don't need a wipes warmer.  Really. You don't.

My $.02 worth of unwanted parenting advice.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
JLD, Den Momma-to-be
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2004, 08:54:06 pm »

Quote from: "St_Zartan"
I just hope those retail knaves don't make a woman in your delicate condition do any heavy lifting or push for those flaky add-on sales. ("I'm expecting to enjoy this video game I just bought; it stands to reason, then, that a piece of candy / air freshener in the shape of a character from that game would function as a multiplier for that enjoyment," is how marketing geniuses and district managers hear the internal monologue of the Consumer.)

"Bill, we're run a chain of video game stores in undersized mall fronts with limited shelf space. Clearly what we need on those shelves are WWE action figures and plastic models of overtly religious anime shows that make no sense towards the end. If a customer were to walk in and see actual computer and console games he'd just be frightened and confused. Oh, and look into getting us some of those 'Pocky' things for by the register. You can stick them where we used to keep the strategy guides."
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
JLD, Den Momma-to-be
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2004, 09:41:19 pm »

Quote from: "Limmo"
My wife and Audrey loved the BabyBjorn.  I tried to use the Klingon Battle Sash, with no luck whatsoever.


Man, no wonder.  The woman in the photo for the latter looks like she wants to fling herself and her sinister child from a precipice of some sort.
Logged
goose means greedy

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
JLD, Den Momma-to-be
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2004, 10:45:42 pm »

Quote from: "jldunston"
We have a big release today, for those of you with XBoxes -- Fable is coming out


Not over here... *grumble grumble*

I know the feeling though. I am hopefully about to move into a geek house, and have all the games I want preordered for the first time in my life. It feels  good!

Anyway, good to know all's well. I had been in the quietly concerned camp, 'cause I'm a real man and everything.

Now to lament October release dates... fucksake, THEY'RE AN ENGLISH COMPANY!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up