Doesn't the toilet seat lock thing cost like, $10? Isn't that worth it not to have your kid drown when she imitates the dog and tries to drink from the toilet, topples over, and drowns?
I'm just saying - why take the chance?
Of course, we didn't have any of these things when I was a kid. No outlet protectors, no stairwell gate, no foam padded ANYTHING. Yeah, I got hurt sometimes. I still have a scar on my chin from falling down the steps when I was a kid (I crawled down backwards and slipped one time when I was about three and smashed my chin on the edge of a step).
Anyway, kids today are pussies. They're coddled, over-managed, waaaaaaay over-protected, and tend to be weak in the face of disease since their parents make everything too antiseptic. The first time they leave their house they'll run the risk of growing sick and dying.
I don't have any kids, but the only advice I will offer is to not freak out too much if your kid drops some food on the ground and then picks it back up and eats it. The germs won't kill it. Honest.
Just make sure they observe the 3-second rule and kiss it up to God first.