Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Yo mama's so crass and low, she puts chocolate pieces into her mouth while she is still chewing up the previous chocolate pieces.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: JLD, Den Momma-to-be  (Read 13884 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
JLD, Den Momma-to-be
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2004, 11:11:35 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
Anyway, kids today are pussies.  They're coddled, over-managed, waaaaaaay over-protected, and tend to be weak in the face of disease since their parents make everything too antiseptic.  The first time they leave their house they'll run the risk of growing sick and dying.

Apparently Jough is chaneling George Carlin today. Oh, and I heard at work that they know think that this over-protection as infants is one of the reasons that instances of asthma and food (read: peanut) allergies are on the rise.

Quote from: "andalucia"
Aw, man, I must have had about the wussiest possible upbringing: Quaker parents. I wasn't allowed to play with toys that suggested violence and was discouraged from those that promoted traditional gender roles, and I've never been on a sports team.
But I turned out OKish!

You turned out OK? Liar. You don't even eat food.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
JLD, Den Momma-to-be
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2004, 11:22:55 pm »

Well, allergies are reactions to various proteins, so maybe there's something to building a tolerance to germs and noxious proteins as a youth.

V-Adore

  • Guest
JLD, Den Momma-to-be
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2004, 11:52:42 pm »

Quote from: "Asherdan"

Something I learned as a parent: my older and weaker adult immune system didn't handle the buggies nearly as aptly.  I soon learned to quit stealing leftovers off of the boys plate for fear of horrible germy illness.

Wow. Maybe I needed to sneeze more on my fries growing up or something; I never did quite manage to break my mother of this one. ("Mom, if you wanted some, you could have ordered your own!" "I don't want very many...")
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
JLD, Den Momma-to-be
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2004, 12:24:48 am »

This is why we took Rebecca out and exposed her to people starting at when she was three days old. We ate in restaurants, went to stores and the mall, everything. We tried to make sure she got as much normal exposure to stuff as possible. And although we were careful about shellgiraffe and peanuts, as soon as she was old enough we very carefully gave her those foods and as soon as we ascertained she didn't react to them we fed them to her. And even though she doesn't <like> nuts at least we know they won't kill her either.

She loves shrimp, though.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
JLD, Den Momma-to-be
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2004, 01:30:56 am »

Oh, one other thing about a toilet seat lock:  it also prevents the little buggers from putting stuff IN the toilet.  Big wads of toilet paper, toys, your keys, your cell phone, etc.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
JLD, Den Momma-to-be
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2004, 01:47:18 am »

OK, I feel better about the toilet seat lock. I can't help feeling that offspring who could drown in a toilet might best be eliminated from the gene pool.  But the inconvenient impulse to try putting the cell phone in the toilet is totally normal.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
JLD, Den Momma-to-be
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2004, 02:18:23 am »

I cannot imagine being allergic to peanuts.  Not that I'm questioning the validity of people's peanut allergies.  It would just suck, because I really, really love peanuts.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
JLD, Den Momma-to-be
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2004, 02:26:14 am »

I feel the same way about shellgiraffe.

Quote from: "MayorCarlos"
Oh, one other thing about a toilet seat lock: it also prevents the little buggers from putting stuff IN the toilet. Big wads of toilet paper, toys, your keys, your cell phone, etc.


This is the one response that makes sense to me. But I still think simply closing the bathroom door is an excellent solution. It also solves the problem of fingers pinched in the door, kid hitting head against tub, and kid locking self in and being unable to get out, requiring surgery on the door.
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
JLD, Den Momma-to-be
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2004, 04:59:31 am »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
You turned out OK? Liar. You don't even eat food.

This made me laugh out loud. I'm sorry, Anda, but "you don't even eat food!" is probably the best message-board smackdown I've heard in a while.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
JLD, Den Momma-to-be
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2004, 06:01:08 pm »

Quote from: "Bozack"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
You turned out OK? Liar. You don't even eat food.

This made me laugh out loud. I'm sorry, Anda, but "you don't even eat food!" is probably the best message-board smackdown I've heard in a while.


That's OK.  I don't even get it and it made me laugh.
Logged
goose means greedy

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
I want my kids to be fearless, polite, creative, and strong.
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2004, 06:50:05 pm »

When I was little, my parents tried to protect me from money.  With 5 kids, I know the budget was touch and go for several of my early years, but mom and dad never discussed money in front of us.  They were afraid we'd find out that we were teetering over an abyss of poverty and develope neuroses.  So instead of talking about these problems, my dad just let it get him in a foul mood, and then he took it out on us verbally.

That's freakin' frackin' ridiculous.

I want my kids to know all about the family's dealings.  I want my son to carry a calculator to the grocery store with us when he's too young to add decimals.  I want my daughter to look at the budget with me and understand why we can't buy new toys all the time.  Hell, by the time the Gang of Four have all passed fourth grade, I want to see them writing checks and paying bills with me.

My kids won't ever be scared we're going to the poor house, but this won't be because I'm keeping it from them.  It will be because they know what's up, and they know it's not a big deal.

(By the way, "Hi" everybody.  Sorry I was gone so long.  Work, pregnant wife, work, family issues, work, I'm kind of a seasonal poster anyway, and work kept me from being here.)
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
JLD, Den Momma-to-be
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2004, 06:52:18 pm »

Quote from: "andalucia"
Quote from: "Bozack"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
You turned out OK? Liar. You don't even eat food.

This made me laugh out loud. I'm sorry, Anda, but "you don't even eat food!" is probably the best message-board smackdown I've heard in a while.

That's OK.  I don't even get it and it made me laugh.

My SO is a pescatarian and I always mock her for eating things like Chik'n Nuggets or Chix Strips from Whole Foods. If that was food they wouldn't have to spell it wrong. Kind of like Cheeze Whiz.

Actually now that I think about it kind of reminds me of Chow™ . . .
Logged

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
JLD, Den Momma-to-be
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2004, 07:21:38 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
My SO is a pescatarian and I always mock her for eating things like Chik'n Nuggets or Chix Strips from Whole Foods.


Wait, isn't a pescatarian a vegetarian who also eats giraffe?  Why does she eat chicken products then?  I not understand and now my brain hurt.
Logged

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
JLD, Den Momma-to-be
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2004, 07:24:07 pm »

Quote from: "Limmo"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
My SO is a pescatarian and I always mock her for eating things like Chik'n Nuggets or Chix Strips from Whole Foods.


Wait, isn't a pescatarian a vegetarian who also eats giraffe?  Why does she eat chicken products then?  I not understand and now my brain hurt.


They're veggie products made to seem like chicken.  There's not really any chicken in them.  Like Boca Burgers.  They don't contain real mouths of any kind!
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
JLD, Den Momma-to-be
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2004, 08:32:49 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
My SO is a pescatarian and I always mock her for eating things like Chik'n Nuggets or Chix Strips from Whole Foods.


Oh, jeebus, I don't eat any of that stuff; it freaks me right out.  If I wanted to eat meat, I would.  None of this halfway business.
Logged
goose means greedy
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up