Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Italian food is like pornography. I can’t define it, but I know when I have paid too much.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: JLD, Den Momma-to-be  (Read 13953 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
JLD, Den Momma-to-be
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2004, 09:31:15 pm »

Quote from: "andalucia"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Oh, jeebus, I don't eat any of that stuff; it freaks me right out.  If I wanted to eat meat, I would.  None of this halfway business.


That's good. Fake meat always makes me think of monks fuck*ng blow-up dolls.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
JLD, Den Momma-to-be
« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2004, 05:25:25 pm »

I really, really wanted to let that be the last post.  But, I don't want to start a whole new thread so that I can continue to keep you guys appraised about why I'm not here anymore.  So...um...sorry, Cort.  

My boss scheduled me for 37 hours next week.  I worked 30 this week and last.  We finally hired someone else to pick up the slack...and he's only coming on 10 hours a week.  I'm not sure what the point of hiring him is going to be, if we have to hire *yet another* part-timer to pick up the rest of the slack.  All I have to say is, if he schedules me for one more week of more than 25 hours, I'm going to start calling in sick once a week.  Not because I'm spiteful, but because my pregnant little body can't handle standing for seven hours a day, five nights a week.  

For Pete's sake.  

</whine>
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
JLD, Den Momma-to-be
« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2004, 06:48:03 pm »

Mine's gonna do 40 til January. We already have the ottoman and glider but the 5 year old plays on the glider and it needs fixed.

Her feets is swole somethin' fierce but she swims for an hour twice a week and that seems to help a lot. Did I tell y'all we is habbin' us another chica?

Sarah Ka`iulani will likely be her first two names.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
JLD, Den Momma-to-be
« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2004, 11:34:41 pm »

Aloha, did I completely miss that you're having another child?

Congratulations!

That's what I get for skimming threads.

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
JLD, Den Momma-to-be
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2004, 11:47:37 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Sarah Kai`ulani will likely be her first two names.


Congratulations on creating a new tiny person!

As one who will likely be calling his child either Pierce (Adrian Pearson) or Hero (Hero Elizabeth) depending on the gender, I cannot judge another's choice in a child's name.  Nor would I.  That's mean and uncalled for.  Like posting "screw all a y'all" on somebody's message board.  Still, I am utterly confused by the name Kai'ulani.  Where did it come from?  How do you pronounce it?  (kaEE oo l-ah-n' EE is my best try.)  What is meant by it?

I'm sure it's a beautiful name.  Please inform me as to exactly how I should think it beautiful.  It certainly looks neat.

Darn my lack of shwa!
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
JLD, Den Momma-to-be
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2004, 01:52:46 am »

That is exactly right. The tragic princess Victoria Ka`iulani is the reason.

As I started to learn the history of this place and her people I started to realize just what a screw job white folks have put on the world and as luck would have it, I'm in the market for a meaningful name that will likely be unique where this child will grow up - since it's unlikely we will be here forever. So that's the leading contender for a middle name at the moment. Rebecca's middle name is Delaney - so I guess I've got something of a penchant for the unusual middle name.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
JLD, Den Momma-to-be
« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2004, 11:37:04 pm »

Congratulations to you and yours, AD. That's a beautiful name.

(I too have all due respect for the unusual middle name; mine is my paternal grandmother's maiden name, which is also a masculine first name, so it gets me strange looks sometimes, but I'm very proud of it. If/when I have a son and am able to convince his father of it, his middle name will probably be "Enrique," which goes back three generations on my father's side and would have been my middle name if not for a sad mistake involving an X chromosome.)
Logged

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
JLD, Den Momma-to-be
« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2004, 02:02:23 pm »

My top name contenders are Vivian Glory and Cordelia Eris.
Logged

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
JLD, Den Momma-to-be
« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2004, 02:44:42 pm »

Va and AlohaDawg have wonderful baby names.  We're all having babies!  Hurray!

Vivian is an especially endearing name to me because the Vivians I have met have all been beautiful women.  Once in a game store, I met a girl named Heavenly Walker, and she was.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
JLD, Den Momma-to-be
« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2004, 03:31:45 pm »

Pedro has tapped into some kind of universal truth here.

All Vivians are beautiful women.  So Va, if you and Mr. Va are beautiful people, then it would be a lovely name for a girl.  

If not, it'll just be a bitter reminder of how unattractive your daughter is for all of her life, such as she'll talk to someone on the phone who is delighted by her personality and the promise of the Vivian name, and then when then meet her they may physically recoil in horror (as opposed to emotionally recoiling) and maybe PURELY OUT OF REFLEX pull an arm up to their face for the dual purpose of defence and to block out all of the ugly.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
JLD, Den Momma-to-be
« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2004, 04:02:10 pm »

Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"
Once in a game store, I met a girl named Heavenly Walker, and she was.

.....she didn't have a car?
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
JLD, Den Momma-to-be
« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2004, 04:06:46 pm »

Quote from: "Bozack"
Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"
Once in a game store, I met a girl named Heavenly Walker, and she was.

.....she didn't have a car?


In the store?

What the hell kind of game stores do they have down in KY?

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
JLD, Den Momma-to-be
« Reply #57 on: October 04, 2004, 05:20:26 pm »

Quote from: "Bozack"
Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"
Once in a game store, I met a girl named Heavenly Walker, and she was.

.....she didn't have a car?


You misunderstand.  She was a Texas Ranger.
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
JLD, Den Momma-to-be
« Reply #58 on: October 04, 2004, 05:39:29 pm »

Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"
You misunderstand.  She was a Texas Ranger.


Quote from: "Space Ghost"
I'm a big fan of Chuck Norris, and Chuck was in the Delta Force and the Delta WAS a triangle.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

V-Adore

  • Guest
JLD, Den Momma-to-be
« Reply #59 on: October 04, 2004, 07:33:28 pm »

Belatedly: Vivian and Cordelia are both lovely. I will freely confess that I find Glory and Eris a bit cutesy and over-special (and why Glory and not Gloria?), but a) as middle names that's basically respectable, and b) Vivian/Cordelia is your baby and not mine, so my opinions are semi-irrelevant.

Vivian is a beautiful name, but I've also always had a preference for the "Vivienne" spelling -- a pain in the ass, admittedly, but lovely. (And also less asexual, in case you happen to live somewhere where Vivian can still be a man's name.)
Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up